Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 06:45
I found this on Shoutwire.

Heather Morijah thought it would be cute to have a personalized license plate on her silver Prius that was almost identical to the one on her partner’s blue Prius. He had IMPCH W.

So last fall, Morijah, who lives in Rapid City, South Dakota, paid the $25 extra for vanity plates to get MPEACHW.

The plates arrived, no problem.

“For a while there, we had blue and silver Prius’s with matching Impeach Bush license plates roaming around Rapid City,” she says.

“We both feel very strongly about this administration for a large number of reasons. The big number one would be leading us into an imperialistic occupation in Iraq to get their oil, and lying to the American people at the expense of many American lives and many Iraqi lives. And number two, the horrifying damage they’re inflicting on the environment in this country and in the world.”

Then on April 18, Morijah got a letter from the South Dakota DMV.

The agency “is in receipt of a written complaint about your personalized plates,” the letter says. “With this complaint I am sorry to inform you that the set of plates MPEACHW are being recalled. . . . You will have 10 days from the date of receiving this letter to surrender the plates.”

Morijah says she called up the DMV right away. “I just asked them to fax me a copy of the person’s letter with the name blacked out. They wouldn’t it give it to me,” she says. “I asked them for a list of all the vanity plates they’d issued in the last year, and they wouldn’t give me that. And I asked for a list of the vanity plates they had recalled, and I couldn’t get that, either.”

So Morijah called Jennifer Ring, the executive director of the ACLU of the Dakotas.

Ring told her not to hand her over her plates and urged Morijah to speak to the press.

Morijah, a conservation organizer at the Sierra Club, took the advice and contacted the Rapid City Journal.

Staff writer Kevin Woster broke the story on May 3.

At that point, the DMV was laying on the horn.

“I’m following the letter of the law,” DMV director Deb Hillmer told Woster. “It’s offensive to someone and not in good taste and decency. And the plates are the property of the state of South Dakota.”

Hillmer warned in that article that if Morijah didn’t surrender the plates, the state might sic law enforcement on her to get them.

The article drew instant attention.

“It was a crazy frenzy,” recalls Morijah. The Associated Press picked it up. CNN did a story on it. And it was all over the blogosphere, she says.

Her phones were ringing nonstop.

“I literally only received one call that was not supportive, and that was from Rapid City,” she says. “He told me perhaps my name should be pariah, not Morijah.”

One of her favorite calls came from Pennsylvania, she says, where a man offered to send her a check for $19.84 in memory of George Orwell.

The ACLU’s Ring then faxed over a letter on May 4 to Paul Kinsman, secretary of Revenue and Regulation, which oversees the DMV.

“Her opinion may not be shared by everyone in the United States or in South Dakota,” Ring wrote. “Regardless, her political comments and criticism are protected by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution and the Article 4, Section 5, of the South Dakota Constitution, and the state is not permitted to censor that protected speech.”

Ring pointed out that “political speech such as ‘impeach George Bush’ is indisputably not ‘indecent’ or ‘vulgar’ in any respect. It may offend some citizens of South Dakota, but that is not a valid basis for the State to censor pure political speech.”

On May 7, the DMV pulled a U-turn.

Hillmer herself called up Morijah to tell her the news that the state would not be recalling the plates.

“She was very polite,” says Morijah.

And Secretary Kinsman issued a press release stating, “After reviewing case law on this issue, we have determined that the plate will not be recalled,” according to Woster in his follow up for the Rapid City Journal.

Morijah reflects back on the incident. “This has been literally one of the most significant experiences of my life,” she says. “It’s been absolutely humbling to see how many people were willing to go to bat for me on this issue.” She is especially grateful to the ACLU, she says, and has newfound respect for its clout—and its commitment.

Morijah hopes that some good can come from the kerfuffle.

“This particular issue has been resolved,” she says. “But I hope the momentum this has created continues. And not just on the free speech issue, but also on going forward with removing this incredibly harmful administration.”
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 06:53
wow...ACUL and she is cooool.
Seriously,I love reading about people who fight for nothing really.

YES HAVING THE RIGHT TO WRITE POLITICAL STATEMENTS ON YOUR PLATE IS JUST RETARDED AND CHILDISH.
GET A FUCKING LIFE.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 07:03
If any president needed to be assassinated it' s George W. Bush.

nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 08:24

ORIGINAL: Nitro

If any president needed to be assassinated it' s George W. Bush.

Careful. Commnts like that might land you in Gitmo. After all, you don' t have to be guilty of anything in particular to get sent there. Just foreign and frightening.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 08:34
I agree with the decision, and how was that license plate offensive? We don' t have the right to express we don' t like our president and want him impeached?

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

wow...ACUL and she is cooool.
Seriously,I love reading about people who fight for nothing really.

YES HAVING THE RIGHT TO WRITE POLITICAL STATEMENTS ON YOUR PLATE IS JUST RETARDED AND CHILDISH.
GET A ***ING LIFE.

One thing leads to another, if they let the state and or government get away with censoring free speech on something as meaningless as a license plate, then who' s to say 100 years from now the government won' t get away with punishing people who publically speak against them and begin dissolving our freedom of speech all together?

ACLU has an aggressive stance on these matters because they want to make it perfectly clear that our civil rights shouldn' t be touched, even at a level as insignificant as freedom of speech on a license plate.

< Message edited by Evil man -- 14 May 07 0:41:59 >
QuezcatoL

RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 08:42
I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THAT.
THE PLATE ON EVERY DAMN CAR SHOULD HAVE REAL NUMBERS+LETTERS I HATE TO SEE ***ERS HAVING NAMES LIKE " HENRIK" ON THEIR CAR;WTF?!

*** THESE FAGS;I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY IF THEY MADE SURE YOU CANBT PUT ANY NAME+POLITCIAL STATEMENT ON THEM:

ANYWAY THIS WOMEN IS TOTALLY NUTS AND SO IS ACUL THAT PROTECT FOR EX NAMBLA,GROWN UPS WHO WANNA DATE KIDS.

MUST EVERY FUCKING NUTCASE MAKE SOMETHING POLICTAL EVERYWHERE;JESUS FUCKING CHRIST,NOW I HAVE TO READ POLICTIAL STATEMENTS ON TEH FUCKING ROAD.

SOON THESE RETARDS WILL NAME THEIR KIDS TO STUPID POLITICAL AGENDAS:
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 14 May 07 0:45:31 >
Evil Man

RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 08:45
Quez you are retarded, just go shoot yourself.

< Message edited by Evil man -- 14 May 07 0:47:48 >
Evil Man

RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 08:47

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THAT.
THE PLATE ON EVERY DAMN CAR SHOULD HAVE REAL NUMBERS+LETTERS I HATE TO SEE ***ERS HAVING NAMES LIKE " HENRIK" ON THEIR CAR;WTF?!

*** THESE FAGS;I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY IF THEY MADE SURE YOU CANBT PUT ANY NAME+POLITCIAL STATEMENT ON THEM:

ANYWAY THIS WOMEN IS TOTALLY NUTS AND SO IS ACUL THAT PROTECT FOR EX NAMBLA,GROWN UPS WHO WANNA DATE KIDS.

MUST EVERY ***ING NUTCASE MAKE SOMETHING POLICTAL EVERYWHERE;JESUS ***ING CHRIST,NOW I HAVE TO READ POLICTIAL STATEMENTS ON TEH ***ING ROAD.

SOON THESE RETARDS WILL NAME THEIR KIDS TO STUPID POLITICAL AGENDAS:

Yes you do care about it moron.

What if I was your president and decided to put you in jail for making such retarded comments on a message board?

I can' t because you have the right to act like a complete ***ing retard and make stupid statements. Laws like this ESPECIALLY protect people like you.
QuezcatoL

RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 08:49
You' re retarded,your probably one of these fuckers who actuially think someone should fight for a retarded women who want to spread her poltiical agenda via her plate on the car while driving.

Soon you gonna have people writing statements on their fucking window.

Get the fuck out of the road with political statements.

Go and fuck yourself now you fucking diusgusting dipship.
QuezcatoL

RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 08:50
There is a fucking diffrence you idiot.

A.The peoplke owning this site can ban me.

B. nobody has to enter this site for news or games and they can take " block" on me.

But this count women make sure everyone has to read what she thinks while driving behind her.

Its disgusting,put her in Jail and vomit on her plz.
Then send her to guantamo and fuck her,and then kill her.
Evil Man

RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 09:00
When you' re driving eyes should be on the road, not staring at the license plate.

And it' s not a political " Agenda" , it' s common sentiment, millions of people think bush should be impeached. With your logic if I put " LUVMILK" in my license plate I have an agenda to increase profits for companies that sell milk, no, it' s just that I like milk, that' s all. She doesn' t like the president and that' s all.
< Message edited by Evil man -- 14 May 07 1:04:41 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 18:14
Im gonna get a " LUVMILK" license plate now...
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 18:29
I wish someone would give Bush a blow job so Americans can impeach him. If that' s what it takes...come on ladies, it' s patiotic.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 18:37

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

I wish someone would give Bush a blow job so Americans can impeach him. If that' s what it takes...come on ladies, it' s patiotic.

That' s all well and good but then you get another moose like Monica " White stain" Lewinski all over the paper. PLease if your going to get someone to do it make it someone good looking.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 19:15
We could always just go on a white house tour and leave a trail of cocaine. At the end of the trail we can leave a $5 hooker.

Got the idea form loony toons. Instead of the carrot under the box we use a line of coke and a hooker!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 19:18

We could always just go on a white house tour and leave a trail of cocaine. At the end of the trail we can leave a $5 hooker.

Got the idea form loony toons. Instead of the carrot under the box we use a line of coke and a hooker!

Alright, that' s it. We' re getting some Coke and a Hooker for Bush. Who lives closest to Washington?
QuezcatoL

RE: Woman with MPEACHW vanity plates prevails - May 14, 2007 19:32
I have no problem with her hating bush,I hate these people who wanna show their political agenda all over the world,commerical is all over our face,the last thing I want while driving is having to see fucking politiucal retarded people who fuck up their plate.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll