Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 03:10
Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers?  
The reason they never changed it before is because they were the market leaders by far and wanted it to remain familiar. 
Now that they aren't the market leaders (I told you so) and there is basically universal agreement that the 360 controller is by far superior do you think Sony will finally redesign their controller for their next console?  If they don't redesign it for the PS4 do you think they'll ever redesign it?  I think a new controller is one of the many steps Sony needs to take win people over with their next console.  
They did show the infamous boomerang dildo version as a prototype for the PS3 and decided to change it after the epic lulz it was getting, but that really wasn't that much different than controller they have now either.  
When the PS1 came out I thought the controller was okay.  It had a lot of buttons which was cool, but once they added on the analogue sticks which are needed for today's games I couldn't stand it.  It feels like I'm going to get a hernia in my hand, the only controller I hated more was the gamecube's.  
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 03:28
I think Sony has enough talent at head office to recognize the need for the change but I don't think they have enough talent to make the right change.  They know this.  So the effect will be that they'll make a modest change in order to play it safe.  The controller might look different but it will essentially have the same functions.  I would be happy if they only made the following changes:

-Change the fucking L and R 2's.  Make them concave and extend them forward like the 360 controller.
-shorten and/or deepen the joysticks
-make the handles larger/more ergonomic
-add more directions to the joystick
-fix the D pad so it doesn't suck
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 04:29
Probably, they should just rip off 360's controller though, PS1's original controller was basically a bulkier SNES controller, so I wouldn't put it past them.

Though personally the only thing I don't like is the placement of the analog sticks, it just doesn't work well for shooters, for everything else I see no problem with it.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 05:26
Is it really that hard for you all to adapt to different controllers? I don't find either of them have any real noticeable advantages. Both D-Pads suck, and the analogue sticks on both need work.
Agent Ghost

Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 05:59
It's not a matter of adapting it's a fact that the Dual shock 3 sucks donkey dick for FPS games.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 06:17
What do you hate, the new sticks? I've never gotten the analog-stick placement complaint.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 06:24
I don't see too much of a problem with the PS-style controller (mainly because I detest FPS games) other than the d-pad could be a little better, there should be six face buttons aligned in two rows like the Saturn controller instead of the crappy diamond formation and the buttons should be numbered or lettered... not "shaped".
Agent Ghost

Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 06:27

What do you hate, the new sticks? I've never gotten the analog-stick placement complaint.

What new sticks?  Nah it's the L/R2, the triggers.  They suck.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 06:38
The sticks got revised from DS2. They feel weird to some people.

Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been some effort to mod them "right".
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 09:59
I've always disliked Sony controllers. But I think the gamecubes was worse. My hands cramped up so much and that C nub thing was weird.
Bababoo

• Total Posts : 62
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 12:58
Sony wont change their controller ever it was revealed by Ken Kutaragi at a press conference in 2005, while holding the boomerang one up with his pants.
Well atleast it looked like the boomerang one in his pants, come to think of it, it might of been something else swaying back and forward, yeah and who holds something up with their pants?
This explain a lot.
<message edited by Bababoo on Nov 15, 2008 14:06>
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 13:44
If they're gonna make any major changes, they're probably gonna try out something drastic - like motion sensing gloves and VR helmet or something. 

My hands fit around both the 360 and PS controllers fairly well - the old xbox controller was far too big for my hands. 

Would it be difficult to move the 'shoulder buttons' or L1/R1 round underneath the L2/R2 or triggers?  My hands seem to feel more comfortable with my index fingers on the triggers (instead of my middle fingers), which would mean there should be more buttons further round where my middle fingers would rest on the handles.  ....you get what I mean?

Maybe even have buttons for your ring and little fingers too, heh.
Bababoo

• Total Posts : 62
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 14:11
You should make controllers Chocopolo, marko polo marko where's my chocolate i'm near you, oh right choupolo.
Followed by a wtf?
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 15, 2008 18:14

Maybe even have buttons for your ring and little fingers too, heh.
I used a controller like that for the original Xbox. It had the A and B buttons under RT and X and Y under LT. It worked pretty well for Halo 2, but not much else.
BUTTFREAK

• Total Posts : 85
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 17, 2008 21:16
Dude Xbox controller is better pwned
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 17, 2008 23:36
Loco?
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 17, 2008 23:43
Please leave the playstation controller alone it is fine and perfect. To me the 360s pad is the one that needs to me changed a least bring the analogs down on the same spot like the ps3. I can't play fighting games with the 360 pad what a headace. But I for one am glad some did not give us that boomerang thing from e3.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 18, 2008 00:41

Please leave the playstation controller alone it is fine and perfect. To me the 360s pad is the one that needs to me changed a least bring the analogs down on the same spot like the ps3. I can't play fighting games with the 360 pad what a headace. But I for one am glad some did not give us that boomerang thing from e3.
So, you want to bring the analog down to where they're good for fighting games, but in the process make them suck at every other genre?
Agent Ghost

Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 18, 2008 04:27

So, you want to bring the analog down to where they're good for fighting games, but in the process make them suck at every other genre?

I'm down with the location of the left joystick.  Perfect for Geometry Wars.  Actually since what's it's face is no longer with MS, maybe there is hope for Geometry Wars on the PS3.  Fuck it would be so awesome to have symmetrical joysticks for this game.

I don't know why we can't have both.  Why not make two versions?  Better yet, make the controllers configurable.  Have them exactly the way they are except that you can pop out the joystick and D pad and switch them.  Why stop there?  It would be neat to switch the face buttons for the d-pad or joystick for lefties.  Or even be able to have two sets of face buttons, instead of a D-pad for specialized games.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Will Sony ever change the main design of their controllers? - Nov 18, 2008 05:46
somebody give me money and stuff and I'll make a controller so comfortable you cream your pants
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message