Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What was the last book you read?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
What was the last book you read? - Apr 03, 2007 06:40
Today i was told to go read a book, and that got me thinking about the last book i read which was ' Looking For Trouble' General Sir Peter De La Billiere' s autobiography covering his military life from SAS to Gulf Command.

I think i' m probably going to read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince now before Deathly Hallows comes out in July.

What was the last book you read?
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 03, 2007 07:40
The last book I read was Neil " Sandman" Gaiman' s Neverwhere. Apparentley it was a TV series in the nineties, but I really don' t remember it so it must have been pretty dull. I enjoyed the book a lot, it' s about a magical sub-city beneath London which a bored city suit gets sucked into one day. Kind of Alice in Homlessland.

My favourite book is Aladair Gray' s Lanark, I really can' t recommend it enough. He' s a top Scottish author, and sets many of his books here although he doesn' t use too much slang or local dialect (unlike Irvine Welsh). He also does the artwork for the books and various designs around Glasgow (notably the interior decor of converted church Oran Mor in the West End). His collection of short stories (Unlikely Stories, Mostly) is imaginative brilliance.

My next book will be one of the many I bought tail end of last year which I haven' t opened yet - either the Crying Freeman manga novels, " Book of Lies: the Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult" or Bill Hicks " Love all the People" .

Cheers for reminding me of the cool books sitting in the cupboard Magic!
< Message edited by iad umboros -- 2 Apr 07 23:49:43 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 03, 2007 07:55
Hell' s Half Acre - A sexually charge, drug fueld, noir style story. Part 3 of a great series. The Phineas Poe trilogy. Go read them and enjoy. The 1st one is great the 2nd not so great but the 3 is king.

Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 03, 2007 08:00
Europe at War by Norman Davies, an interesting re-evaluation of what WW2 was all about, i.e. not really good versus evil, but rather democracy versus totalitarianism in all its forms, and how US and Britain' s involvement was a bit of a sideshow compared to Germany versus USSR.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 03, 2007 12:17
Arms and The Man by Bernard Shaw

I liked it actually. Which makes it the only play I enjoyed reading.

I' m about to read The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger and re-read the Hitchiker' s Guide to the Galaxy after that.

M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 03, 2007 18:05
The last book I read was The Fall of Reach (the third halo book) and it was awesome.
Now I' m reading Ghosts of Onyx (the newest halo book). It is good so far but I rarely have time to read it. I' ve only gotten an hour into it.
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 04, 2007 09:57
I just finished The Babur-Nama
< Message edited by fernandino -- 4 Apr 07 1:58:43 >
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 04, 2007 18:06
Black house, a collaboration written by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It' s fantastic, which was a nice surprise, as when I read it a few years ago I simply couldn' t get into it. I' m currently giving the dark tower series another shot.
Iad umboros

RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 05, 2007 05:37

ORIGINAL: Calintz

Black house, a collaboration written by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It' s fantastic, which was a nice surprise, as when I read it a few years ago I simply couldn' t get into it. I' m currently giving the dark tower series another shot.

It is good, it' s the sequel to The Talisman which they wrote together and is absolutely fantastic. One of King' s best, I haven' t read any Straub.
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 05, 2007 16:44

it' s the sequel to The Talisman

Yeah I wish I had read that one first. Is it as good as Black House?
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 06, 2007 03:39
Just got through Feast of Souls by CS Friedman.

not bad...but this is the first of her books I' ve ever read, and I' m not liking the way she writes male characters thus far.
Die_Hounderdoggen

• Total Posts : 275
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 06, 2007 05:34
I read the Big Book of Hell, by pre-Simpsons Matt Groening. Completely different kind of humour.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 06, 2007 11:36
I' ve been reading through,

" The Warren Commision' s Report on the Assasination of President John F. Kennedy"

Yes that' s the full title, yes it' s a huge freaking red book. Yes it makes me look really smart. Seriously though, it' s quite an interesting read if you just pick it up & pop a page open. Certainly gives the conspiracy theorists a run for their money.

I' ll also be reading Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows come July.
Iad umboros

RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 06, 2007 19:44

ORIGINAL: Calintz

it' s the sequel to The Talisman

Yeah I wish I had read that one first. Is it as good as Black House?

Black house was quite different as the main character has grown up. in The Talisman he' s just growing up, trying to save his mum from cancer. I thought it was much better, as I said one of King' s best. Black House is good though.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 06, 2007 23:54

I read the Big Book of Hell, by pre-Simpsons Matt Groening. Completely different kind of humour.

Aww I lost my Big Book of Hell. i Have one or 2 of his other ones around somwhere as well.That poor depressed one eared rabbit.

Anyways aside from The Phineaus Poe series (which I strongly recommend to you all) Ive also been reading the ' Hit' series by Lawrence Block. Its about the life of a hitman a more humane look at least not so much about the hits. Good stuff. Not as good as Hell' s Half Acre (go find it and read!)
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: What was the last book you read? - Apr 07, 2007 10:50
The Man Who Was Poe

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages