Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Walmart officially backs HD-DVD
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 04:55
Walmart just took a fork and jabbed it in BluRay' s shoulder and then kicked it in the back of the knee.

Ignore the massive BluRay advertisement on the page, lol.
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 24 Apr 07 22:01:15 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 05:57
Thats actually pretty big jab considering wal-mart was the reason so many electronic stores like circuit city and compusa had to close up alot of shops and lay off many many workers recently. Wonder if a similar effect will come of this.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 06:32
I think we have a winner to the media format war of ' 06-' 08! I said whoever reaches the sub 200$ mark would win, imo this will have an even greater impact now that the largest retail giant in the world is backing one format. This was so predicatable considering the price advantage HD-DVD has over BluRay. I was starting to root for BluRay because of its larger mbps rate. That and the fact that I intend to get a PS3 eventually. Tough shit I guess.

< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 25 Apr 07 0:08:10 >
M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 07:38
So does the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player output in 1080p if you have the VGA or HDMI with a 1337, or is it limited to 720p?
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 07:46
Uh, the only meaningful thing in that article is that Toshiba has agreed to let budget factories start making HD-DVD players.

There' s no " power of walmart" , generic companies are going to start pumping out cheap HD DVD players because they can, not because walmart made it happen.

That would naturally increase HD DVD sales in every store, walmart included.
< Message edited by Evil man -- 24 Apr 07 23:47:43 >
Agent Ghost

RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 08:21

There' s no " power of walmart" , generic companies are going to start pumping out cheap HD DVD players because they can, not because walmart made it happen.

That would naturally increase HD DVD sales in every store, walmart included.

If people want to buy the cheapest HD-DVD player. Where do you think they' ll be able to find the cheapest one? Not to mention the cheapest movies. The " Power of Walmart" is not bullshit. They' ll undercut everyone prices until they get what they want. No one can do that as well as they can. Like the article said, movies at Walmart are subsidized in order to attract a large portion of their customers.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 09:34

The " Power of Walmart" is not bullshit

If there were a celestial superstore, it would be walmart.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 09:41
It will take more studio backing for HD-DVD to kill off Blu-Ray.
Agent Ghost

RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 09:45

It will take more studio backing for HD-DVD to kill off Blu-Ray.

Oh yeah, we' ll see both formats sticking around for a while, even after one a clear victor.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 16:57
and where Walmart leads the other big supermarket chains inevitably follow - I wouldn' t be surprised if a price war leads to a drop to half what they are currently planning by xmas.

While it does look like Blu-ray sales are better at the moment it is the uninformed masses (who are driven primarily on cost) that will decide this war. However the big fly in HD-DVDs ointment is the lack of studio support (particularly disney), if they can solve that they are on to a winner.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 17:40
Well JVC' s decision to widely license VHS was the main reason it won out over BetaMax as the network effect meant that because more players were in homes studios released on the cheaper and more widely available format.

That said, with Blu-Ray currently being supported exclusively by some major studios and the technologies still being in their infancy and thus only currently serving a niche videophile market, i don' t foresee a victory for either format for quite some time.

Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 17:59
Yes I agree, we' ll see both on the market for a few years to come. There will be a tipping point somewhere however if one of the current exclusive studios decides to jump ship to the other format (and that goes for both ways). Of course we could end up with the situation where players which accept both formats become dominant, but I can' t see those prices coming down yet.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 25, 2007 19:52
In fairness Hd-dvd has a very hard time if it wants to fight off blue ray.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 26, 2007 03:26

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

In fairness Hd-dvd has a very hard time if it wants to fight off blue ray.

Indeed. This is a big push in HD-DVDs favor though.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Walmart officially backs HD-DVD - Apr 26, 2007 06:30

Walmart just took a fork and jabbed it in BluRay' s shoulder

That' s not even funny! I' ve got scars on my shoulder from a titanium fork. Hounderdoggen did it as a matter of fact.

This doesn' t give HD-DVD an edge, it just evens the playing field a bit. There' s not going to be any sure winner until HDTVs are in over half of the modern world' s homes. AKA, nothing before ' 08 when we all have to drop our analog cable.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll