Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 32
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 03:16
Link

Activision and Vivendi Games are to merge, becoming the world' s largest independent videogame publisher, in a deal valued at USD 18.9 billion, GamesIndustry.biz reports.

The new company, Activision Blizzard, now boasts a portfolio bursting with some of the top-selling videogame franchises including Blizzard' s World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo, Vivendi' s Crash Bandicoot and Spyro and Activision' s Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and the Tony Hawk series.

Activision shareholders are to receive USD 27.50 a share, a 24 per cent premium over Friday' s close of USD 22.15. Vivendi Games will contribute USD 1.7 billion in cash to the company and take a 52 per cent stake.

" This alliance is a major strategic step for Vivendi and is another illustration of our drive to extend our presence in the entertainment sector," commented Jean Bernard Levy, CEO of Vivendi.

" The combined strength of the existing management teams at both companies will set the stage for further profitable growth of Activision Blizzard.

" We look forward to being an active and supportive majority stockholder in a company that is poised to lead the worldwide interactive entertainment industry in the years ahead," he said.

Shares of Vivendi Games will be converted into 295.3 million new shares of Activision, which values Vivendi Games at USD 8.1 billion. Vivendi will also purchase 62.9 million newly issued shares in Activision for USD 1.7 billion in cash.

" By combining leaders in mass-market entertainment and subscription-based online games, Activision Blizzard will be the only publisher with leading market positions across all categories of the rapidly growing interactive entertainment software industry and reach the broadest possible audiences," commented Robert Kotick, CEO of Activision.

" By joining forces with Vivendi Games, we will become the immediate leader in the highly profitable online games business and gain a large footprint in the rapidly growing Asian markets, including China and Korea, while maintaining our leading operating performance across North America and Europe," he added.

Kotick will remain as chief executive of Activision Blizzard, while Vivendi Games boss Bruce Hack will become vice chairman and chief corporate officer. He will also lead the merger, expected to be compete in the first half of 2008.

Activision also said that it will now have access to Universal Music Group, the world' s largest music company, " which will benefit Guitar Hero and further extend our sizeable leadership position in music-based games."

The industry is banding together in large giants, i some how fear this will kill of creative freedom. Not that i fear for blizzard though.
< Message edited by vx chemical -- 2 Dec 07 20:20:09 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Vivendi and Áctivvision merge! Forming Activvision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 03:42
Holy shit. I' ve been expecting the larger companies to gobble up the smaller ones for years but this deal is huge.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Vivendi and Áctivvision merge! Forming Activvision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 03:57
EA lost the throne?
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 04:31

EA lost the throne?

They lost it to Activision already.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 05:06
I hope this doesn' t change the way blizzard makes games.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 05:23
Go Blizzard and Activision! I don' t care if they merge. They make amazing games!

Oh...

Vivendi who?

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 05:36
Vivendia is basically a huge french multi media company.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 09:05
Right...

Vivendi who?
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 11:21
Vivendi sucks ass.
locopuyo

RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 12:05
Yes, everything vivendi has sucks ass but blizzard, because they let them do their own thing. And it better stay that way.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 16:02
Vivendi published for Valve with Half-life 1+2, Counter Strike etc until Valve screwed them with Steam. There was a huge lawsuit battle during the split.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 17:43
So EA is a small fish now?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 18:26
Both Vivendi and Activision are profitable while EA was losing money the last time I heard about their economy. So I think we can officially say that EA has lost the throne in several ways.
Grant Delmore

• Total Posts : 76
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 19:17
Im not gonna be happy for blizzard till they shut off there mmo (Or atleast name it somthing else) and make WC4
locopuyo

RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 22:25
lol WC4.... WC3 was good but sucked compared to SC. They are already making SC2. With how long blizzard take to make games WC4 is at least 10 years off.
Vx Chemical

RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 22:31

lol WC4.... WC3 was good but sucked compared to SC. They are already making SC2. With how long blizzard take to make games WC4 is

the word suck and warcraft doesnt match, no matter what else you write. The story and atmosphere in Warcraft 3 is superb. In any case i like both series just as much! SC has been neglected though
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 03, 2007 23:52
You can' t say " WarCraft" and " suck" in the same sentence UNLESS it is when comparing WarCraft 3 to StarCraft... or even WarCraft 2 for that matter. WarCraft 3 is a great great game but doesn' t hold a candle to StarCraft. I also found WarCraft 2 to be much better than 3 as well. I' m actually playing through WarCraft 3 again. Started a couple days ago. Great, just by no means SC great.
Vx Chemical

RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 04, 2007 00:52
SC is a class A game, and so is Warcraft III, the campaign in WC3 is a tad more entertaining than the one in SC. though the gameplay is better balanced in SC.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 04, 2007 02:15
Woah woah woah woah... I' m going to have to disagree with you comment on the capaign. Imo SC had the best story out of any game ever. That single player campaign was nothing short of perfect. WC3 had a great campaign but it never latched on like SC did.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Vivendi and Activision merge! Forming Activision Blizzard - Dec 04, 2007 02:40

EA lost the throne?

EA never had the throne . Ea rips folks off like George Bush and thats a fact not an opinion.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 32

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message