Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Things that hasnt been done yet/much!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 18, 2008 17:00
There are several scenerios and things that hasnt been done in games yet, and yeah most of them seem difficult to do, but nothing is impossible in the hands of the right studios.

Games set in Ancient Times, say Spartan, or early roman history, either mythical or not. There was the Spartan game, which was decent but a bit too fantastic.

Games set in Pre Historic Times, this could be really awesome, battling sabertooth tigers, mammoths and what ever else was lurking back then, using only spears, crude axes and bows. Could make for an truly awesome bloody expirience. Maybe the controls could be a kin to SotC.

Games set in WWI I can only recall 1 WWI game, which was set in a fictive universe where WWI never ended, it was crap! (ohh and then ther were the Red Baron flight games)¨

Anything you would like to see, and how do you picture the ideas above!
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 18, 2008 18:00
You are right they are mostly unexplored settings. Strategy games have dabbled in the ancient civilisations, but not much else. An RPG of Mass Effect style would work in a Mediterranean setting with islands substituting for planets.

I' m not sure about WW1, the battles that took place wouldn' t lend themselves to an FPS, a whole game set around trench warfare may not excite, although maybe they could try and bend history a bit.

I' d like to see more from the medieval period, it was the age of exploration and with much political intrigue going on there would be a lot for a game to get stuck into.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 18, 2008 23:25
Lionhead and Microsoft certainly missed out on a great oppurtunity with their game BC.
Vx Chemical

RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 19, 2008 00:09

Lionhead and Microsoft certainly missed out on a great oppurtunity with their game BC.

Yeah that was one promissing game, im still in hopes that MS is keeping it a secret until ready! it was way to ambitious for the first box!
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 19, 2008 00:28
BC was one of my most wanted game for the xbox . The concept was so cool .. Hopefully lionhead get back to work on it . But they will probably continue working on Dimitri after fable 2 .
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 19, 2008 02:21

I' m not sure about WW1, the battles that took place wouldn' t lend themselves to an FPS, a whole game set around trench warfare may not excite, although maybe they could try and bend history a bit.

Oh I' m not sure about that.

You wouldn' t be able to rely on the conventional stop & pop gameplay mechanics that made the WWII FPS scene so unbearable, especially with bolt action rifles. The developers would have to let you do more creative things like night-time raids, artillery missions, possibly some old school tank warfare.

Of course, in my opinion 100+ men climbing over the top charging into no-man' s-land is pretty freaking awesome, but that could be just me.

I want to see a Korean war, or Russo-Afghani conflict.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 18 Jan 08 18:22:47 >
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 19, 2008 02:52

I want to see a Korean war, or Russo-Afghani conflict.

There is a great Korean movie called Tae Guk Gi, that is based on the Korean war. Its about two brothers that get engulf with it and makes a powerful drama. That' s what they need more in war games, stories with drama rather than just stopping the other side of the conflict kind of thing .

As far as games, a game about thieves, set in a modern city. You would have to infiltrate museums and what not and make a compelling plan to get away with the treasure. It should have Uncharted like mechanics, that would be awesome.
< Message edited by chimura -- 18 Jan 08 23:08:24 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 19, 2008 05:32
The problem is marketability. There just isn' t enough call for games set during WWI or the Jurassic period to warrant spending hundreds of thousands to develop one.

" Ancient Times" (LOL) is pretty well covered though. Maybe not in the genre' s you' d like, ...but in general. The more fantastical the more marketable, and we have some pretty fantastical stuff incloming...

Avalon
Elveon
Project Offset
Viking: Battle for Asgard
God of War III

...it' s not what you want but it' s where the money is.

It' s a vicious circle when you think about it... it' s generally the smaller and more inexperienced (read: less skilled) studios that decide to make a game that' s different from the rest (say WWI as opposed to WWII), but then it doesn' t sell. Whether it' s because of the quality or because their marketing budget was tiny compared to the bigger games... it doesn' t matter. They don;t sell and so in general they don' t get made.

Bald spacemarines sell, so we have loads of futaristic games featuring those... hell, they even used some of Dom' s and Marcus' s genes when creating the new Turok and his sidekick.

Vx Chemical

RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 19, 2008 07:13

Avalon
Elveon
Project Offset
Viking: Battle for Asgard
God of War III

Those are fantasy titles!

It might be where the money is at, but well developed and marketed games nearly always sell well. Its all about marketing!

Big companies take to few chances! but i guess thats why they are big :P
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Things that hasnt been done yet/much! - Jan 19, 2008 10:03
I think we' ll get there eventually. Once the market has expanded to include people who would buy games set in new settings, we' ll start to see more original stuff. However we need to see the kind of quality that doesnt cost anything extra ie new talent.

You know in film, original stories and settings are being used all the time and sell well. Theres so much potential for the game medium to tell really complex, clever and well crafted stories, with characters that have tonnes of charisma and background.

Sure theres the problem of directing the player to story elements and allowing freedom of interactivity at the same time, but dev talent is brewing slowly. Valve use some great techniques to build the illusion of freedom while directing player attention at the same time. If only their stories were told better.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll