Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death??
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 02:08
Or rather... I' ll explain the situation.

My 360 has been dead for quite some time now, but it' s dead with.... ONE RED LIGHT ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT QUADRANT.

Now talking to MS customer support, they have said that the extended 3 year
warranty is only for people that have the 3 flashing red lights, however mine has one light and I have performed all the mundane and arduous tasks of trying to fix the damn problem, but the box just won' t work...

It comes up with that stupid E 74 message, which is usually cool, but this
time it is staying like that... I am adamant that it' s a three red light problem masked behind one red light, and I have fed MS a load of bull that the box variates between the one red, and then the 3 and sometimes works, but I am sure that as soon as they have bullied my box a lot more and then realise that there aren' t 3 red lights but in fact one, they' ll send back an even more broken box...

So someone like Eddie, or anyone else that has gone spelunking deep inside
the damn thing please help me do one of two things:

Create the three red lights of death problem.

or

Help me fix the one red light masking the three red light problem
< Message edited by Tiz -- 22 Aug 07 18:11:19 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 02:41
Cheezus! HECK man, i don' t even know how to respond to YOUR post there. IN fact, i' d go so far as to say that what you' re asking for there is illegal. BeyOnd most peoples Xperience.

You can' t just overheat it, you need to do something to override the existing problem.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 22 Aug 07 20:40:16 >
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 02:42
Tape some electric tape on the back of the vents. And live it one for a day or to I guarantee that it will over heat.

Make sure it is taped tight on the back and let it ride.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 02:51
Like mikayd said,try and make sure the ventialtion systems are covered and put it somewhere hot.

Or you lie and send it away.

And perhaps when they start it they say,hmm now its 1 red light,and fix it still.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 22 Aug 07 18:51:42 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 02:55

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Cheezus! HECK man, i don' t even know how to respond to YOUR post there. IN fact, i' d go so far as to say that what you' re asking for there is illegal. BeyOnd most peoples Xperience.

LOL
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 03:11
Just buy a new one.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 03:14
That' s not good for the environment. Don' t buy a 360 at all. Buy a Wii, it consumes less power of all of the new consoles.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 03:31
No, even better. Abandon electricity alltogether. That' s best for the enviroment.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 03:55
Man just over heat the dam thing and send it back. Try the tape thing and put some put a heater next to it. And boom you will have the red lights. Hell what do you got to lose. Send it back and they may give you a new one or they may send you a broken one back. What do you have to lose.

You can' t just overheat it, you need to do something to override the existing problem.

Whats illegal is selling a 400 dollar system thats defective thats illegal. Work the system man and get you a new 360.

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 04:01
I agree with mikayd,allthough one ring of death might not be a dead console until some months ahead,thus MS doesnt feel the needt o repair it yet.

I would send it.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 05:39
Similar thing happened to me aswell. I went to a Swedish store called On Off and asked if I could turn my 360 to them or if I had to send it to MS. They told me to send it to MS because there was some sort of special " special thing" regarding the 360, that altered the consumer law slightly. Now normally in Sweden the law says that any product that is defect when purchased is to be replaced with a new machine, however there is a catch. One need to be able to prove that the machine/hardware was indeed broken on purchase. I told the little man in the store that MS had admitted that all the sold 360' s where indeed defect, and asked if that wasn' t proof enough. Then he told me that the normal law didn' t apply to the 360 due to its failure rate, because MS would loose to much money if they where to replace all 360' s that was sent back.

I wasn' t shocked by this, but I did think it was unfair for consumers and wondered what ever happened to " the costumer is always right"

However I wasn' t in any hurry to have my 360 fixed and hadn' t planned on playing it before the release of Halo 3 so I was okay with sending the machine to repair. That was when I was told that my 360, altough broken, wasn' t quite broken enough to be repaired.

Well it isn' t that big of a problem, bt I wonder if anybody else have experienced unusually long loading times? I might be imagining thing, but I think the loading time has more than doubled in some of the games, compared to when the machine was new. Also, textures in Gears of War can take an amazingly long time to load.

Anyhow, the guy at the OnOff store told me to wrap my 360 in a towel and turn on the machine, said that ought to warrent a new box... If they don' t find out, that is.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 08:49
No way in hell am I buying a new one, and that is out of sheer principle.

I' ve had enough with this piece of sh!t console anyway man, it' s too unreliable. Why
won' t they just REPLACE my launch one??? My same one since December
the 2nd 2005 has been serviced and then re-serviced and still keeps breaking...

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

I have, and thanks for the advice... It' d be funny if it starts working again, although
I doubt it very much.

The whole thing about 360 is ridiculous. It shouldn' t just be " if it' s three red lights
it' s definitely our fault" systems don' t break that often if they' re made correctly and
not manufactured on a bloody abandoned farm in the middle of Egypt..

But I' ll take into account what a lot of you guys said, and if it doesn' t work, looks
like I' ll be jumping on the Elite bandwagon and breaking it 9 months after
purchase so as to get a new one. Even the Elite can' t avoid this madness...
Gamer

• Total Posts : 160
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 15:22
I find it funny how we' re so used to this nowadays. Like what would we think 6 years ago if we saw people saying to purposefully overheat a console and about it not being dead the right way lol. Maybe its just me I just find it a little funny.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 15:37

Similar thing happened to me aswell. I went to a Swedish store called On Off and asked if I could turn my 360 to them or if I had to send it to MS. They told me to send it to MS because there was some sort of special " special thing" regarding the 360, that altered the consumer law slightly. Now normally in Sweden the law says that any product that is defect when purchased is to be replaced with a new machine, however there is a catch. One need to be able to prove that the machine/hardware was indeed broken on purchase. I told the little man in the store that MS had admitted that all the sold 360' s where indeed defect, and asked if that wasn' t proof enough. Then he told me that the normal law didn' t apply to the 360 due to its failure rate, because MS would loose to much money if they where to replace all 360' s that was sent back.

I wasn' t shocked by this, but I did think it was unfair for consumers and wondered what ever happened to " the costumer is always right"

However I wasn' t in any hurry to have my 360 fixed and hadn' t planned on playing it before the release of Halo 3 so I was okay with sending the machine to repair. That was when I was told that my 360, altough broken, wasn' t quite broken enough to be repaired.

Well it isn' t that big of a problem, bt I wonder if anybody else have experienced unusually long loading times? I might be imagining thing, but I think the loading time has more than doubled in some of the games, compared to when the machine was new. Also, textures in Gears of War can take an amazingly long time to load.

Anyhow, the guy at the OnOff store told me to wrap my 360 in a towel and turn on the machine, said that ought to warrent a new box... If they don' t find out, that is.

Now i know your in sweden, but in denmark, a company cant just change the law. If you know the law, your in your right to get the box exchanged in the store, and they should give you a new one, now they might try and sneak out of it, but its still the law!
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Strange question... How do I get the 3 red lights of death?? - Aug 23, 2007 16:10
Just send it in, they will just go ahead and give you a new one. MS is basically doing anything right now to keep their customers. I sent mine in that was perfectly fine (other than the fact that I dropped it and it messed up a few of the clips) and the only problem was it wouldnt load any RPGs. And when I called I told them it had 3 rings and wouldnt play games.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll