Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Special Effects - Do They Help or Hurt?
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Special Effects - Do They Help or Hurt? - Jun 17, 2005 05:57
Many an old movie used minimal-to-no special effects to portray what would become a blockbuster must-see movie.

With all the technology available today, it seems that directors are relying on these special effects to make-or-break their movies - it' s like modern directors have little-to-no imagination as to how to portray a story without all the fancy technology.

Of course, movies like Star Wars are designed to be special effects bonanzas, but do we really need special effects in just about every other movie as well.

To me, it just seems that the art of storytelling is being faded out and/or lost.

The reason - too much technology taking away from the the director and viewer' s imaginations.

This is just my opinion...

What do you think?
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Special Effects - Do They Help or Hurt? - Jun 17, 2005 09:31
Lucas managed to make speacial effects non existant. The reason special effects were special was be cause the were used not very often to make something really cool. Lucas managed to destroy that and used crappy special effects to the point that they were in every scene in the movie. they aren' t specil effects anymore. They are just effects. Damn you Lucas.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Special Effects - Do They Help or Hurt? - Jun 17, 2005 17:12
I am inclined to agree with Rampage. They are overdone. I enjoy a good effect now and again, but that doesn' t sell a movie for me. overdone effects are one of the main reason why i never enjoyed the sequels to The Matrix. Especially in this computer era, it is so common place. They don' t hurt the movie i suppose. I will rarely leave a movie saying.... good story, but too many effects. I just don' t like it when story and quality are sacrificed for effects.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Special Effects - Do They Help or Hurt? - Jun 17, 2005 17:46
I disagree with you all, special effects improve the movie viewing experience by a significant margin.

Just look at movies like:

Waterworld
Battlefield Earth
Red Planet
Battlefield Earf 2 (aka Final Fantasy the spirits within)
Drop Dead Fred
Starship Troopers 2

Oh wait..... They sucked royally. nevermind! Carry-on.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Special Effects - Do They Help or Hurt? - Jun 17, 2005 22:35
LOL

Terry, I was reading your post and your list of movies, and I was going to say " Terry, it might just be me, but none of those movies are really very good" .... but then you already said it.

/Pointless post.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message