Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Siren Demo Impressions
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
Siren Demo Impressions - Apr 26, 2008 15:43
Choupolo, Canada, Grayfox and every one else that was interested, I am currently downloading the Siren demo from the Japanese store, so once I play it, I' ll post some impressions. If you guys have Japanese accounts, go and DL it, I' ve read from Kotaku that it has a lot of English text and voice overs
Chimura

RE: Siren Demo Impressions - Apr 26, 2008 16:27
Ok, I played it, and sadly, I was not impressed. You will understand what' s going on, but all of the explanations and such are in kanji, so that might be a little more difficult.

Graphically, the game looks ok, but is definitely not going to win any awards. The characters expressions are pretty good, but the models don' t look all that great. The enemies do look pretty cool though. The animations are also pretty nice. The environments look good and it has a good atmosphere, but as soon as you close in on them, they' ll look pretty pixilated. The lighting effects are really good sometimes, but most of the time is just really dark and almost impossible to see. Overall, the game is not impressive looking, but it gets its point across. Sound wise, the game is meh in terms of voice acting. You speak English and sound ok, and the bad guys speak Japanese, but since they mostly shout, there is no real way to say if their voice acting is good or not. There is a cool melody at the end though.

Game wise, the game has a Resident Evil 4 behind the shoulders camera, but is way to close and it can cause some motion sickness when you are running fast. You can also play in first person mode, but the motion sickness is still possible. This is easily the fastest survival horror game character I' ve ever played as. None of that pussy, slow running that all other guys and gal in this genre suffer from. This guy ain' t kidding around where speed is concerned. You can control the camera a little bit with the right analog, but the controls for it suck. You attack targets with either square or R1, and you can use melee and guns. Since there were no laser sights, no aiming reticule, guns are pretty hard to aim from over the shoulder and even on first person, is made hard because once you release the right analog stick, the camera will center again, making aiming tough. You can also take the stealth approach and suffice to say, this is the best way. Overall, the game' s control aren' t hard to learn, but they are pretty clunky.

Melee combat is a lot better. While I couldn' t make combos or anything, there are some cool environmental kills, such as pushing some guy into an elevator shaft and although I don' t exactly know how they work, there are some cool counters as well. Managing to dodge the guys incoming shovel attack and then putting a small revolver to their head and blowing them is very satisfying. The bad guys aren' t really smart, but they make up in how f.ucking crazy they are. This guy ain' t f.ucking around either, as they are faster than you. They' ll charge at you like there is no tomorrow and if you don' t manage to pick them off quickly, you' re pretty much screwed, as you can' t take more than 2 or 3 hits and these f.uckers are fast and hit hard. Sixaxis motion sensing is implemented for some things, but is clunky, just like the rest of the experience.

Overall, I think the demo has the right atmosphere, but is just way too clunky and I really can' t judge if the story is going to be worth the pains or not from a 5 minute demo.
< Message edited by chimura -- 26 Apr 08 8:32:14 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Siren Demo Impressions - Apr 26, 2008 23:20
Thanks Chimura. Sounds like a good concept poorly implemented as usual. I probably wouldn' t mind the graphics so much, but the controls might annoy me a little. Anything can be less disappointing than Jericho was.

As long as the overall atmosphere is there I' d still play it.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 26 Apr 08 15:32:30 >
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: Siren Demo Impressions - Apr 27, 2008 06:27
Thanks for the heads up. Ill download it if i get some free time.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Siren Demo Impressions - Apr 28, 2008 04:19
Thanks a lot. Sounds like a rental and not a buy.
Chimura

RE: Siren Demo Impressions - Apr 29, 2008 05:01
Any time guys

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages