Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 ShackNews sees DN4ever
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 16:32
And they say it looks great!

Shacknews Views Duke Nukem Forever
by Steve Gibson Apr 28, 2008 1:28pm CST tags: Duke Nukem Forever
Duke Nukem Forever, the game, actually exists.

I have seen it. Maarten has seen it. We watched actual interactive gameplay being interacted with.

Of course, we are far from the first to make such a claim. During 3D Realms' lengthy development cycle of Duke Nukem Forever here in the Dallas area, I have run in to my fair share of publishers and developers who boast they have gotten a glimpse of the game.

To be honest, I thought the game' s supposed existence was a vast conspiracy. More than a couple of times over the last decade I have gotten vague invitations to come see the game " someday," with it never happening. I figured this was probably the same invitation other developers in the area had gotten, and were claiming that vague invitation as having actually seen the game.

Nothing of the game has been made public for years until that Duke Nukem Forever teaser was released last December.

However, that all changed recently. For a good half hour Shacknews witnessed several different DNF gameplay scenarios, mechanics, and environments being demonstrated.

We actually got to see the truth of Duke curator George Broussard' s many past claims, including environmental puzzles and interactivity, a host of finished weapons, the existence of an in-game forklift, and plenty of heads and arms being blown off.

We both confidently agree that after seeing this demonstration, Duke Nukem Forever is looking great, and will easily stand apart from the crowd in both visual and gameplay styles.

Shacknews can also confidently state that, contrary to previous reports, Duke 4 will not be arriving in 2003.

I always liked Duke, even the 2d ones
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 17:37
Sounds good. But until I' m holding the box in my hands and the DVD is spinning away, installing on my PC, I' m going to be skeptical.
Vx Chemical

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 17:41

Sounds good. But until I' m holding the box in my hands and the DVD is spinning away, installing on my PC, I' m going to be skeptical.
¨

and rightly so!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 20:42
Prey didn' t impress, Quake IV didn' t impress...

Tired old gameplay, tired old technology...

Clear Sky, Episode 3 and Crysis 2 are the shooters we should be looking forward to.
Dreadknux

• Total Posts : 35
RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 20:57

Shacknews can also confidently state that, contrary to previous reports, Duke 4 will not be arriving in 2003.

Oh good, I' m glad they cleared that up. I was getting worried. :P
Vx Chemical

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 21:47

Prey didn' t impress

prey was okay.
Nitro

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 21:54

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Prey didn' t impress

prey was okay.

No.
Vx Chemical

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 21:56

No.

not if you want to compare it with Crysis, but compare it with the other shooters released on the 360 at the time.
Nitro

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 22:24
Like Far Cry Instincts Predator?

In that case... Prey was awesome!

But in general, ...it was trash.
Vx Chemical

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 22:27

Like Far Cry Instincts Predator?

In that case... Prey was awesome!

But in general, ...it was trash.

it probably hasnt aged very well.

The dialog was fantastic, it had really good voie acting. And it had be geniuinly worried about Jennifer. The characters felt very alive, the few that you had contact with.

In anycase with DNF, if i can shoot pig cops and see bare tits, its going to be a good game
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 22:29
Why should we look forward to Crysis 2 besides from the graphical standpoint of view considering that the first one was nothing special gameplay-wise.

Also, why should we look forward to Episode 3, what' s going to differentiate it from Ep 1 and 2? And will it take more than 3 hours to beat?

We should rather look forward to whatever the team responsible for Portal is making right now. Or Mirror' s Edge...that one at least looks fresh.
Nitro

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 22:59

ORIGINAL: Evilkiller

Why should we look forward to Crysis 2 besides from the graphical standpoint of view considering that the first one was nothing special gameplay-wise.

Also, why should we look forward to Episode 3, what' s going to differentiate it from Ep 1 and 2? And will it take more than 3 hours to beat?

Yeah, ...thanks for your input.

We should rather look forward to whatever the team responsible for Portal is making right now. Or Mirror' s Edge...that one at least looks fresh.

Neither are first person shooters...

Clear Sky, Episode 3 and Crysis 2 are the shooters we should be looking forward to.

M' kay?

...and yes... Mirrors Edge will be great. All EA games are great.
Vx Chemical

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 23:06

All EA games are great

EA playground
Evilkiller

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 23:24
@Nitro

Why are we counting Crysis then. That' s no FPS, either. It' s a tech demo.
Nitro

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 29, 2008 23:46

@Nitro

You' ve lost me. Have you played the game to completion, on something other than a 386? Have you actually even played it at all?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 30, 2008 00:01
Prey is a masterpiece. You just suck. DN4 is gonna pwn faces.
Vx Chemical

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 30, 2008 00:03

You' ve lost me. Have you played the game to completion, on something other than a 386? Have you actually even played it at all?

I agree Crysis is far more than a tech demo, though story wise its lacking, but it makes up for it in all other aspects!
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 30, 2008 10:17

@Nitro

LOL
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 30, 2008 10:30
Prey was good, but Quake IV was trash. It held it' s weight against games like Condemned and Call of Duty 2 (2 games that aren' t FarCry.)

I was just as skeptical as you before I played it. I saw tons of glitchy vids, and tons of negative impressions. You need to play it, even on a lower-spec PC to really grasp what a title it is. I' ll admit I was 100% wrong about my predictions for that game, and I only played it for less than half an hour.
Evilkiller

RE: ShackNews sees DN4ever - Apr 30, 2008 17:04
I did actually played it and it' s a decent game (My tech demo statement was obviously a big exagerration) but somehow, compared to all the other FPS I played last year (Orange Box, Bioshock, CoD4, Halo 3) Crysis was the one that appealed the least to me. I found it to be a bit too similiar to Far Cry, for my taste, and while trying out the different nano-suit modes was fun in the beginning, as soon as I got used to sneaking around with stealth camo it kinda became routine. That changed, of course, when there were more frenzier battlefields but somehow the game failed to grip me. I am not saying it was bad, just that it had too much competition to really stand out. If it had been released around a different time I might have experienced it differently, but with games like CoD4 as competition it' s gameplay simply wasn' t good enough to stand out.
And what I actually wanted to say with my " Tech demo" statement is, that I think, that Crysis is just an example how to utillize the CryEngine 2 but that the real fun with Crysis will come when some decent mod teams start chunking out great mods. That' s the way it was for me with Far Cry, too. I found the SP experience to be fun, however not ground breaking and I ended up having way more fun checking out the many good FC mods.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll