Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 School Assigns Suicide Notes
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 01:00
LINK

A teacher at a school in Bridgend Wales had their students write suicide notes to get them in the mindset for a grim novel they' re reading...

Oh yeah, did I mention they' re 13, and that there was a string of 17 suicides in a town 12 miles off?[
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 27 Feb 08 17:02:41 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 02:43
...well then...heh really can' t find anything to say. Speaks for itself no don' t it.

So who wants to write kikizo suicide notes? Extra points for connecting videogames to you self induced demise.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 03:11

Extra points for connecting videogames to you self induced demise.

I' ll pass. I don' t wanna bring Jack Thompson around.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 03:56
Thompson would love it here...I even drew a picture for him a while back. Its within this forum somewhere...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 04:31
Who gives a shit about the muppets that killed themselves?

Writing a suicide note for my English literature homework would have been badass.

Not only that, but the Noughts and Crosses series has been part of school reading for years and won a ton of awards. My niece and nephew both covered it at school. Just because a bunch of Welsh teenagers from the same town killed themselves last year they should change the school reading lists? Fuc.k off.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 05:04
It' s highest fashion to kill yourself
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 06:35

Just because a bunch of Welsh teenagers from the same town killed themselves last year they should change the school reading lists? Fuc.k off.

No. The book should still be read, but is emulating suicide notes really something you want to teach 13 year olds? If they were older, perhaps, 11th or 12th graders perhaps, but that' s certainly not something I' d want my (hypothetical) child writing.

Writing a suicide note for my English literature homework would have been badass.

I would' ve gotten a laugh out of it, I' m not sure any assignment I' ve ever done for Lit could ever be described as " badass" though.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 07:19

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Just because a bunch of Welsh teenagers from the same town killed themselves last year they should change the school reading lists? Fuc.k off.

No. The book should still be read, but is emulating suicide notes really something you want to teach 13 year olds? If they were older, perhaps, 11th or 12th graders perhaps, but that' s certainly not something I' d want my (hypothetical) child writing.

I think it would be a valid way to talk about the current spate of suicides in Wales. It' s much better to have an open discussion than try to cause uproar and make a taboo of the subject, which the Daily Mail is obviously for. Obviously the children doing the essay are reading/seeing the news and probably haven' t had a chance to voice their opinions on what is happening just up the road. This seems like an ideal way to do it, although the school has denied that is what the essay is for and insist it is only related to the book.

Suicide does have a " contagious" effect and it is not uncommon for people who may have been contemplating it to do it when they have seen others do it around them. Unfortunately in the minds of many youngsters with low self esteem VX' s comments are true; suicide is the ultimate way to get respect from your peers.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: School Assigns Suicide Notes - Feb 28, 2008 09:21

Having the kids write suicide notes won' t lead to more suicides. I think it' s an excellent exercise. School should target creativity and not the same thing over and over and over and over... Get the kids to think outside the box for a change. Would you rather write another meticulous essay? Do you think those don' t promote suicide?

Unfortunately in the minds of many youngsters with low self esteem VX' s comments are true; suicide is the ultimate way to get respect from your peers.

It' s not always about their peers or low self esteem.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll