Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 SONIC IS BACK!
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 66
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 24, 2008 17:12
I vvery much agree with you Virtua. I used to love sonic games, and am sad at how poorly they are being done these days. They should always have stayed either HD2D or 2.5D... Man i long for a good sonic game, and not too fast - the old ones were never too fast, so you could still play not just run hoping nothing is ahead of you
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 24, 2008 19:34

Man i long for a good sonic game, and not too fast - the old ones were never too fast, so you could still play not just run hoping nothing is ahead of you

Hit the nail on the head there!!
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 24, 2008 20:16
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, especially as I' m a huge Sonic fan, but has anyone seen this:

It' s the only thing I' ve seen that’s worried me about the game so far but there are rumours that Sonic turns into a werewolf Twilight Princess style. This is the only picture release of said ‘Were-Sonic’ but hopefully it’s a big lie and I can forget all about it.

The game play screenshots look lovely. It looks like some hyper-real cartoon pastel colour world and the game play in 2.5D is what the Sonic series has been crying out for ever since Sonic went 3D. The model of Sonic looks way better than the taller version in Sonic Next and Eggman is also looking like his cartoon self again.

I’m all excited. It looks to be a cross between Sonic Rush and Secret Rings but on 360 and PS3. The 2D sections look great and the 3D sections are in confined corridors which avoid the problem of falling off the track into a pit that every 3D Sonic game has had.

Now all I need is some official info from Sega.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 24, 2008 23:42

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Man i long for a good sonic game, and not too fast - the old ones were never too fast, so you could still play not just run hoping nothing is ahead of you

Especially when Sonic was going so fucking fast, that he almost moved out of the screen and it was almost impossible to see what was in front of you...that' s what you call not going to fast?
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 24, 2008 23:46

uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 24, 2008 23:54

ORIGINAL: Evilkiller

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Especially when Sonic was going so ***ing fast, that he almost moved out of the screen and it was almost impossible to see what was in front of you...that' s what you call not going to fast?

Yes there were some set pieces that caused him to go so fast, but that was not the majorityof the game, it' s only from the GBA and DS titles they' ve had him so ridiculously fast (well the original sonic advance excluded).
Infact look back at the roots of Sonic, most of the game sonic rarely left the center of the screen lots of blaces waiting around in marble zone, running slow in labrinth. Not much about just running as fast as possible, more of a fast platformer than a Sonic themed time trial 2D racing game.

I mean your welcome to disagree but that is just my opinion, it' s a view i share with a number of people.

and Majik has destroyed everything it looks fully 3D, I' ve no faith in the game - they want to prove sonic can work in 3D, but they wanted to go back to the roots etc in sonic (ps3 & 360) and look how terrible that turned out
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 00:10

ORIGINAL: uumai

and Majik has destroyed everything it looks fully 3D, I' ve no faith in the game - they want to prove sonic can work in 3D, but they wanted to go back to the roots etc in sonic (ps3 & 360) and look how terrible that turned out

Sonic Adventure proved that the series could work in 3D. They just kinda lost their way afer that...
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 00:59

Sonic Adventure proved that the series could work in 3D. They just kinda lost their way afer that...

Exactly.. In fact, they should just do a remake of the original Sonic Adventure for current gen consoles! I' d buy that on day 1!
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 01:25
The trailer looked good, but the framerate was terrible. I always liked sonic so for now I' ll give this title the benifit of the doubt. and the graphics look great, really clean and bright.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 02:37

Sonic Team need to go back to its routs and concentrate on his basics first:

1. Smooth Running animation

Sonic runs as if he needs a Poo, ' boping' up and down, Very scetchy animation. They need to look back at the first game and make his movement a more fluid one:

Once at full speed, Sonic should never bop up and down ( recent 3d sonic games).. One of the most satisfying touches of the First games was the feel of ' cruising' across the ground in a stream-lined fashion:

2. Bring back the weighty pinball Jump

Instead of the Shitty, weightless ' Front Flick' animation (again looks very sketchy), they should keep the same Weighty ' Pinball' feel and animation of the first games and keep the sprite in the center of the screen while jumping at fast pace.

Like the original, Make the Basics feel more like Pinball, Using your weight and height to Bounce off one enemy to another, with good level design, SEGA could even create chain combo systems, IE how many enemies you can bounce off (kill) without touching the ground etc.

3. Bring back the Cartoon-style, dreamy Backgrounds..

Even before Littlebigplanet, ive always thought a Nexgen Sonic needs to have that super high resolution, slightly blurred, parallax backgrounds, to give it that Dreamy look of the previous games eg:

3. An Overall Richer, Cleaner Cartoon Look of the Original.

Something like this:

Then were getting somewhere.. .

Overall I would much prefer if Sonic Team took ideas of Capcom' s SFII HD:

A 2d Sonic Based on the first games basic ideas, synthy Music and with those HD graphics would be Sick.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 03:05

ORIGINAL: whatabout_paul

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, especially as I' m a huge Sonic fan, but has anyone seen this:

It' s the only thing I' ve seen that’s worried me about the game so far but there are rumours that Sonic turns into a werewolf Twilight Princess style. This is the only picture release of said ‘Were-Sonic’ but hopefully it’s a big lie and I can forget all about it.

The game play screenshots look lovely. It looks like some hyper-real cartoon pastel colour world and the game play in 2.5D is what the Sonic series has been crying out for ever since Sonic went 3D. The model of Sonic looks way better than the taller version in Sonic Next and Eggman is also looking like his cartoon self again.

I’m all excited. It looks to be a cross between Sonic Rush and Secret Rings but on 360 and PS3. The 2D sections look great and the 3D sections are in confined corridors which avoid the problem of falling off the track into a pit that every 3D Sonic game has had.

Now all I need is some official info from Sega.

Had seen it...actually mind this less than if they' d make another hedgehog...again...hope they keep the other characters out of this game as much as possible if not just completely besides cutscenes. I really liked that about Secret Rings. It' s a Sonic game I don' t give a damn about the rest just let me play as Sonic.

You' re right about the cross between Rush and Secret Rings and I must say why not. They' ve been the best Sonic games we' ve seen in a while so no harm in trying to combine it. And as I said Sega really seems to pushing themselves on this title. 06 brought the series to the edge of extinction. Secret Rings is what saved the blue blur' s fur. Although many gamers I know don' t want to admit it since it' s a Wii game and that can' t be good right

One little flaw though. As I mentioned before. It' s 360 and Wii only that' s confirmed so far. It' ll be in the august edition of Nintendo Power. For the moment there' s absolutely no talk about it going to PS3.

Don' t remember if I mentioned this before or not.
But the game is planned to have a world wide release this november.
< Message edited by demonoroth -- 24 Mar 08 19:10:39 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 04:50
I won' t speak for the gameplay, because Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3/360) was gorgeous for the time as well, but boy does it look nice.

I' ve got a far better feeling about this one than the last title.
Terry Bogard

RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 05:32
I think I' m probably the only person on this side of the Atlantic that even liked the last console Sonic game. It had some annoying flaws but the game wasn' t ALL bad
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 05:42
It had it' s fun parts, but it frustrated me to the point where I had a hard time enjoying it.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 06:34

For the moment there' s absolutely no talk about it going to PS3.

I can' t see any reason why it wouldn' t. But AFAIK this game hasn' t even been officially announced, right?
Demonoroth

RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 20:15
Yes it hasn' t been officially announced but a 360 and wii release are a sure thing already. True PS3 will most likely get it.

I' m just having my daydreams of Sega taking revenge on Sony by not giving them the first good console Sonic game in ages...it would be sweet.

And well it is true 06 wasn' t as bad as I or many others like to say. Many complain about the story...well you don' t play a Sonic game for it' s story.
But the gameplay was just overal broken and simply boring. The game was also still full of bugs. I' m generally a forgiving man. But after so many bad Sonic games you could expect that everyone would come down on that one.

As for this one well all we can say up to this moment is that it looks sweet and I absolutly love the music in that trailer. Don' t know if any of you noticed though that that footage clearly comes from a debug mode, has 99 lives.

But yes it isn' t confirmed by Sega itself but still weird though that a 360 and wii version are actually already sure but that there is no talk about a ps3 release *goes back to daydreaming about Sega' s revenge*
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 22:56
Bits of Sonic Next were alright but it was the epitome of what was wrong with Sonic in 3D. The endless tracks, pit deaths, needless new characters, lack of actually playing Sonic for the most part and a horrible story that wrote itself out at the end! Oh, and that’s before I count the many endless loading screens, especially between missions. A next gen experience it was not.

More news sites have gotten wind of the games existence so Sega are going to have to issue a press release about it sooner rather than later. Having it leak out early really was a silly move.
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 25, 2008 23:05

It' s the only thing I' ve seen that’s worried me about the game so far but there are rumours that Sonic turns into a werewolf Twilight Princess style.

You know how developers are with their gimmicks these days.

Anywhoooo, I believe this could be the best Sonic game we' ve had in ages if it lives up to its potential.
Demonoroth

RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 26, 2008 00:14
Well with so not only Sonic Team working on it but also a lot of others from all the sega divisions around the world it is easier to be optimistic about it.

I got an easy solution...want a good Sonic game...put Yu Suzuki on it...not like he' s doing anything else anyway
Terry Bogard

RE: SONIC IS BACK! - Mar 26, 2008 01:34
My problem with Sonic Next was that it was basically a more broken version of Sonic Adventure.

1. The loading sucked! It made retrying levels such a pain!

2. The ' Adventure' levels could have been tightened up a little better. I enjoyed the Town missions and hated them at the same time. I enjoyed being able to run around at my leissure, but other times I was running a bit lost, trying to trigger a cutscene or figure out how to progress to the next level only to made a mad dash to Gamefaqs for any walkthrough that would get me the hell out of the Town portion and back to the Action-platforming stuff.

3. I usually had to retry the high-speed levels 2 or 3 times because of some bizarre occurrences that caused me to die. Otherwise, I enjoyed them a great deal when things did work.

4. The soundtrack wasn' t as great as the music in the original Sonic Adventure, but there were a handful of decent tunes. I really dug the game' s main theme. The one heard throughout most of the trailers for the game.

5. On the flipside, I F***ING LOVED Silver the Hedgehog. His missions made the game quite enjoyable for me. I REALLY, REALLY want him back in a future 3D Sonic game, with his psycho-kinetic/telepathic powers!

Even though I' ve never really been a hardcore fan of the Sonic series it takes a lot for me to hate the games. In fact, if you want to guarantee my hatred for a 3D Sonic game, just throw Knuckles, Rogue, and Big the Cat in as playable characters, with the same type of gameplay they had in Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 respectively. I REALLY hated those scavenger hunting levels and never completed Sonic Adventure 2 because of them.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 25 Mar 08 17:37:32 >
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 66

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread