Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 41 to 60 of 88
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 25, 2007 11:40
I can' t wait to see the PS3 sales for November.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 25, 2007 11:58
I am 100% sure that Sony has what it takes to compete with Microsoft, and I think once the Wii wave dies down, who knows, maybe they might pass Wii.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 25, 2007 21:05

I am 100% sure that Sony has what it takes to compete with Microsoft

TBH, I doubt it. MS has shown theyre willing to loose money, even billions, to secure market share. Sony is a smart company now that the morons who f---ed up the PS3 launch are sitting in tiny corner offices now, and can most definately compete on a software and idea basis. However whats going to happen when the 360 (or whatever MS console) actually turns a profit and MS decides to throw its full weight behind it? Linux, Mac OS, they know what happends when MS throws all its weight behind something. The only difference I see between Apple and Sony is Sony actually has quality products(especially when it comes to headphones and cameras, and their TVs compete with Samsung for the best).

TBH, the only console I want to see fail this gen is the Wii, because of what its success might mean for the industry. Weaker consoles being pushed at a high price point and thousands of kiddy/casual games, DO NOT WANT. Im not a graphics whore, but for a $250-500 console I expect more than what I can get from a used $100 PS2 or XBox, or hell, a $50 dreamcast for that matter. Today as I was looking through the Best Buy sales paper I felt sick. I was looking at the Wii games, and only 1 was even worth playing, and that is the work of art that is Mario Galaxy. But the other titles showed me how and why Nintendo will eventually kill our beloved industry: High School Musical 2, Hannah Montana, Mario Party 39.

Heres to hopping the Wii is a fad that eventually fades into obscurity, and the market ends up 45% 360, 45% PS3, and %10 Wii.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 25, 2007 21:43
I thought MS was already making profits on its gaming division by now. Didn' t someone say that in a thread a while ago?
Anyway, I don' t know what more MS can do to " throw its full weight" behind the 360. They' ve done so much already. The only thing they can do now as I see it is keeping up the good work and work on releasing their next console.
And saying MS is beating Apple is not very accurate. When it comes to OS then yes but Apple is growing each day.
But when it comes to other things, like mp3-players, Microsoft are bugs.
I think the PS3 will definitely be a tough competitor this generation. A slightly lower price and some more familiar franchises in its library and it' ll be set for success.
As for the Wii it will do fine enough but far from as good as it has done the first period on the market. Sales will decline but they' ll always be good enough to make it very profitable, for both Nintendo and developers. Sadly I doubt we' ll see many AAA titles, like the GCN.
As I see it when it comes to marketshare MS will be steady, Nintendo will lose some and Sony will gain what Nintendo lose. It makes for a very close battle this generation.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 25, 2007 23:22
I get the impression that fans think MS are purposely trying make their console ' Hardcore' ..

Bullshite. Like all companies, MS are Desperate to brake the casual field, because they know this will expand their market. Viva Pinata was their first attempt, but it fell flat on it' s back because 360 has a certain Image and it will never go away, unless MS started over again with proper direction (Wii). Pleasing both markets is now essential for future growth and to come out on top, one reason why MS wont win this one, no matter how many billions they are prepaired to spend / loose.. It needs legs.

The way i see it, both 360 and PS3 should be one console, they don' t do anything different from each other than the odd ' exclusive' . Which in todays industry is never really an ' exclusive' unless it' s first party.

I thank god for Nintendo for bringing something different to the Table and bringing a new design for developers to do new things. I want to be overwhelmed with clever, new game designs (latest game im playing through is Zak & wiki, awesome, awesome game, WD capcom.)

Its much more a pain in to ass having to buy two expensive consoles for a few Exclusive, than buying a Wii to play totally different experiences like SMG, Z&W, MP3, ETC. These are gems that have alot above of the rest, They cannot be done on anything but the Wii.

Still, i like both sides, 360/ps3 and Wii but i never understand one wanting one to Fail, especially the Wii which ' only' Lacks hardware power but adds a whole host of gameplay possibilities to the table. I understand one wishing the Wii was more Powerful so 3rd parties could bring conversions of their games IE COD4 ECT but seeing it from a business side, Wii was a risk and spending extra money on Hardware when it could of easily fallen on it' s head would be too risky, Nintendo done right to keep it at GC power because when your playing great games that use the Wiimote properly Graphics don' t need to be HD.

One thing i do know, Once Wii controls are Fully realized and Nintendo step into the High spec, HD market with their next Console, 3rd Parties are gonna go ape shit over it. Why? by this time most will be fed up of pushing immersion and real-life atmosphere alone and would to Push New gameplay to co-exist with it. Pads have a limit, especially with Shooters.. The Wiimote on the other hand.. (and im very sure If their was a Wii 2, the new Wiimote would have extra ground breaking features).. Only so much Developes can do with a dual stick. This is why the Development of Wii is imprtant to the industry, Causal and Hardcore.
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 25 Nov 07 15:33:24 >
ginjirou

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 25, 2007 23:55

The way i see it, both 360 and PS3 should be one console, they don' t do anything different from each other than the odd ' exclusive' .

I think it' s good there are two HD-consoles because that way they' ll have to compete with each other. With only one HD console it would be too easy to compete against the Wii since they' ll have the hardcore market to themselves.

Like all companies, MS are Desperate to brake the casual field, because they know this will expand their market.

I' m not sure the casual market is as important as Nintendo believes. At least not in the long run. Casual gamers don' t buy as many games as hardcore gamers. I think the main goal should be to make non-gamers realise the value of hardcore gaming and giving them a proper introduction to the videogame industry.

That' s not the say the Wii isn' t hardcore. Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime Corruption are hardcore games. And they sell good and they recieve great scores. That shows that despite Nintendo' s focus on the casual gamers, their hardcore projects are the ones who are the most successful.

Wii was a risk and spending extra money on Hardware when it could of easily fallen on it' s head would be too risky,

The Wii wasn' t a risk, it was the only option for Nintendo. With hardware that makes profit from day one, development costs far below the costs of developing something like Cell or Xenon, the Wii is probably the least risk taking project in the industry that I' ve ever seen.

Nintendo done right to keep it at GC power because when your playing great games that use the Wiimote properly Graphics don' t need to be HD.

Keeping it at GCN power was a great choice when looking at the chance of earning profits but for consumers it' s just greedy to sell it at the current price point with such old hardware.

One thing i do know, Once Wii controls are Fully realized and Nintendo step into the High spec, HD market with their next Console, 3rd Parties are gonna go ape shit over it.

Once Nintendo steps into the HD-market, Sony and Microsoft will have changed their business models accordingly to counter any further threats from Nintendo.

Why? by this time most will be fed up of pushing immersion and real-life atmosphere alone and would to Push New gameplay to co-exist with it.

Gameplay and the way you control the game doesn' t necessarily relate to each other. Gameplay is ideas within the game. Gameplay innovations are being made in 360 and PS3 games as well.

Pads have a limit, especially with Shooters.. The Wiimote on the other hand..

The Wii-mote also has its limits. It' s not the perfect controller, you must realise this.
In the end the Wii is a nice distraction from normal consoles but in the long run it' s not enough. Perhaps to Nintendo' s check account, but not to us gamers.
immortaldanmx

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 00:31

and would to Push New gameplay to co-exist with it

Really? The only good Wii games have been the same gameplay we' ve seen before (Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Paper Mario)

Pads have a limit, especially with Shooters..

Really? That must be why the best shooters are on PC and Consoles with pads. Want the real reason Metroid has no MP? Its too inaccurate and twitchy, thats why the SP has a lock on. If you really think Metroid controls better than CoD4 on PS3/360 or Halo 3 or inevitably how well Haze will control youre stupid.

Bullshite. Like all companies, MS are Desperate to brake the casual field, because they know this will expand their market.

For every 2 or 3 hardcore games, MS and Sony have 1 casual game. For every hardcore game, the Wii has 10 casual games. Breaking the market and flooding it are very different. Nintendo' s success is not going to be good for the industry in the long run. When Disney games are the rule and not the exception, your games library is pathetic as a whole.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 00:48

I think it' s good there are two HD-consoles because that way they' ll have to compete with each other. With only one HD console it would be too easy to compete against the Wii since they' ll have the hardcore market to themselves.

Yes, pushing each other would have been good but it' s not like SEGA vs Nintendo where a big perecntage of their killer catolouge were inhouse 1st party games. Most of the best games for this generation are 3rd parties which could end up (MGS4 im looking at you) on any or both systems IE COD4, GTA4, RES5 ETC. Aslo Wii has a good cut of HC crowd too, Smash Bros will sell Millions.

I' m not sure the casual market is as important as Nintendo believes. At least not in the long run. Casual gamers don' t buy as many games as hardcore gamers. I think the main goal should be to make non-gamers realise the value of hardcore gaming and giving them a proper introduction to the videogame industry.

This is why games like Z&W and SMG are So perfect

The Wii wasn' t a risk, it was the only option for Nintendo. With hardware that makes profit from day one, development costs far below the costs of developing something like Cell or Xenon, the Wii is probably the least risk taking project in the industry that I' ve ever seen.

It' s still a risk and would of been the biggest risk if they chose to start with Wimmote AND High powered tech, Hence Nintendo making the good decision to cutt-down the costs on hardware.

Keeping it at GCN power was a great choice when looking at the chance of earning profits but for consumers it' s just greedy to sell it at the current price point with such old hardware.

Well, this is Nintendo' s safegaurd if Wii ever got in a sticky situration hey can price drop the thing..It' s not that bad though., plus im paying a good £10 to £15 pound less for Wii games so it kind of works out. Put it this way, i feel much more ripped off having to pay year for online play (xboxlive).

Once Nintendo steps into the HD-market, Sony and Microsoft will have changed their business models accordingly to counter any further threats from Nintendo.

Exactly, this is why Wii is just as important to the industry.

The Wii-mote also has its limits. It' s not the perfect controller, you must realise this.
In the end the Wii is a nice distraction from normal consoles but in the long run it' s not enough. Perhaps to Nintendo' s check account, but not to us gamers.

This is why the Wii developers have a chance to use the other control methods, classic or GC.

Distraction? 360 / ps3 games are so great that they make Games like SMG or Zelda: TTP a Distraction? To who? HD graphics whores?

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 25 Nov 07 17:09:07 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 01:07

For every 2 or 3 hardcore games, MS and Sony have 1 casual game. For every hardcore game, the Wii has 10 casual games. Breaking the market and flooding it are very different. Nintendo' s success is not going to be good for the industry in the long run. When Disney games are the rule and not the exception, your games library is pathetic as a whole.

Your image of Nintendo' ideas are not clear.. Nintendo are setting Examples for 3rd Devs to follow, Game like wii sports, SMG, Excite Truck, Wario Strikers, Wario Ware all set defaults to help Developers makes quality titles like these, It' s not Nintendo' s fault that devs are bringing Ports or Poor 3rd team efforts across to the Wii, Now Wii is starting to see things happen, it' s understandable that it' ll take a little more time for 3rd parties to get quality software onbard.

Really? That must be why the best shooters are on PC and Consoles with pads.

First of all, don' t try match PC and pad consoles as equal, PC' s are in a different league entirely.

secondly, Wii has already one of the best shooters, one that can' t be compared to anything on any other platform., may be ' twitchy' to you but it' s rated friggin highly among the hardcore, one being myself. Also, MOH: heros has proven control on Wimote is way above PAd can offer, just need a decent 3rd party GAME to utilize it.
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 25 Nov 07 17:14:19 >
ginjirou

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 01:49

Distraction? 360 / ps3 games are so great that they make Games like SMG or Zelda: TTP a Distraction? To who? HD graphics whores?

Those games would' ve been awesome on any console, regardless of controller.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 01:59
Metroid set the bar for FPS on the Wii

MoH took it further already...sure it takes some time to set it to how you want it but once it' s set to the way you like it...well...there' s no equal on consoles.

PC will most likely always be the best way to play FPS, Metroid put analog sticks to shame. It' s just not fast and precise enough. Metroid already showed that the Wii-mote is clearly superior to analog sticks for FPS.

I never liked MoH but hell I was curious about the controls...and if you think that the controls in Metroid were much better than analog sticks...well you' re in for a surprise with the new MoH then.

When for FPS they actually try to make the Wii-mote work then the controls will always be far superior to anything on the other two consoles. It' ll never reach the level of PC' s but they can sure get close to it.

Don' t be surprised when you see a lot of FPS going to the Wii.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 02:26

It would' ve cost next to nothing in the grand scale of things to throw in a bit more RAM. I can understand why they chose to use older hardware, but as cheap as it is, it would have made life easier (and opened up doors) to developers.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 02:37

Its much more a pain in to ass having to buy two expensive consoles for a few Exclusive, than buying a Wii to play totally different experiences like SMG, Z&W, MP3, ETC. These are gems that have alot above of the rest, They cannot be done on anything but the Wii.

Other than Zach and wiki, they could easily be done on other consoles, and done better. MP3 controls are fine and dandy, but I' m just as happy with CoD4, and to be honest, I really wish SMG just used a regular control scheme. Waggling my hands to attack doesn' t make me happy, nor does waggling my hand when I' m climbing, or waggling my hand when I' m skating. And pointing at star bits really isn' t all that cool, I find if anything, that it takes away from the speed of the platforming because I always feel the need to stop running and collect all the little bits.

edit to add -

Wii was a risk and spending extra money on Hardware when it could of easily fallen on it' s head would be too risky, Nintendo done right to keep it at GC power because when your playing great games that use the Wiimote properly Graphics don' t need to be HD.

Except that for a guy like me, with a 56 inch 1080p screen who is used to playing games on the ps3, and more so lately, my elite, switching over to the Wii afterwards feels downright embarassing. Even with component cables at 480p, I can' t see any of the details from affar, and though it' s a lot clearer than with composite, it shows so many jaggies. Who here can tell me that SMG wouldn' t have been more fun to play and looked 10 times better if it had the same art direction, but with Ratchet and Clank Future - levels of graphics.
< Message edited by Dagashi -- 25 Nov 07 18:43:13 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 02:48

It would' ve cost next to nothing in the grand scale of things to throw in a bit more RAM. I can understand why they chose to use older hardware, but as cheap as it is, it would have made life easier (and opened up doors) to developers.

Nows that an statement i wouldnt argue against.

I really wish SMG just used a regular control scheme.

Seriously? half of the initial gameplay would not be there if Galaxy was designed around a classic controller. Yer i could be done, but loads would be missing.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 03:23
Why would anyone buy a Wii 2? If the point isn' t the graphics with Wii what difference would a Wii 2 make? Hardcore gamers aren' t going to be impressed about HD graphics with 3 polygons on screen. I doubt casual gamers are going to care, they don' t care right now.
immortaldanmx

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 05:21
Oh yes, hardcore FPS fans play MoH and Metroid on the Wii..... dumbass.

Im tired of arguing with you, youre not " hardcore" , youre a delusional fanboy.
< Message edited by immortaldanmx -- 25 Nov 07 21:25:21 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 08:21

Im tired of arguing with you, youre not " hardcore" , youre a delusional fanboy.

Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 08:48
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 08:48
immortaldanmx

RE: SEGA: PS3 will catch up to, if not surpass, 360 - Nov 26, 2007 09:59

Oooh, let me do it too since everyone knows I am Nitro, lol
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 41 to 60 of 88

Jump to: