Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 RIP Pentium
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RIP Pentium - Aug 15, 2007 01:15
" Fifteen years of the pentium brand came to an end today when Intel formally announced the availability of it' s 3GHz quadcore Xeon X5365 processor, while quietly confirming the phase-out of the last seven Pentium 4 single-core and Pentium D dual-core chips."

Discontinuing Pentium 4s? I swear they were top of the line yesterday.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 15, 2007 01:33
It' s about fucking time. The Pentium 4 series was horrible. They were never top of the line.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 15, 2007 06:39
I recently got a new motherboard and P4. My god is it noisey, I need a better heatsink/fan Now!

any recommondations?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 15, 2007 08:25
I have two Xeon chips in my computer. Xeon = good? I sure hope so.
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 15, 2007 08:44
Xeon processors....i was wondering when the " pentium" series was going to phase out. I guess now is that time. I still think it was needed However i prefer the AMD Athlon series.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 15, 2007 13:29
Who has actually bought pentium processors since core 2' s have come out...
< Message edited by emofag -- 15 Aug 07 5:30:58 >
Joe Redifer

RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 15, 2007 13:37
What' s the difference between the Core and the Xeon? I suppose I could look the information up myself, but when you guys explain it to me I feel more powerful, as if I control part of the world.
Agent Ghost

RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 16, 2007 01:39
Netburst and C2D are both cpu architectures. The former being what Pentium 4 used. Xenon is not a CPU architecture in itself, it' s more like a sub brand, like Opterons for AMD. They' re the more expensive version of whatever Intel has at the time and it' s marketed for servers and workstations. As you already know they put them in Macs too.

Basically, if it' s an older Xenon based on Netburst then it' s not something you would want to buy today but if it' s based on C2D then it' s a great chip. The number that follows the name Xenon would identify the actual chip.

What' s the difference between a Xenon and a regular Intel Chip? In general it has optimizations for servers. Mainly small changes that make them more efficient when multiple chips are paired together, such is the case where you have two chips in your Mac. I' m not sure but regular Intel chips might not even have compatibility in a multi chip motherboard as they' re meant for Xenons.

Xenons are better simply because you can have more of them in your system but each individual chip is not much better if at all than an equivalent desktop chip.
Joe Redifer

RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 16, 2007 03:13
As far as I can tell, my Xeons don' t have any numbers after them other than the processing speed. They are dual core, though.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 16, 2007 04:43
Uh... I' m running a III that I got free from a friend.

Edit: I should add that it' s an enormous improvement from my previous box... which is either incredibly funny, or terribly pathetic.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 15 Aug 07 20:44:39 >
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 18, 2007 11:25

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Uh... I' m running a III that I got free from a friend.

Edit: I should add that it' s an enormous improvement from my previous box... which is either incredibly funny, or terribly pathetic.

That' s pathetic really.

P3' s *ARE* the kind of crap you give away, so it' s no surprise your friend gave it to you, you' re doing him a favor by taking that garbage off his hands.

I don' t know how you can even tolerate the pathetic speed of a p3 PC. I' m used to pressing the power button on my PC and be ready to go in 3 seconds.
< Message edited by emofag -- 18 Aug 07 3:29:09 >
Joe Redifer

RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 18, 2007 11:41
My Windows machine boots up insanely fast. Well, or at least that' s the illusion it gives. It gives you the desktop only after a few seconds or so, but when you first see the desktop, it' s not done. It still has some more crap to load. You can do stuff during this time, but it' s slow. After a small amount of time (maybe 10-20 seconds or so) it is up to 100% usable speed. It' s an AMD processor.

My Mac does the same damn thing.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 18, 2007 12:33

That' s pathetic really.

P3' s *ARE* the kind of crap you give away, so it' s no surprise your friend gave it to you, you' re doing him a favor by taking that garbage off his hands.

I don' t know how you can even tolerate the pathetic speed of a p3 PC. I' m used to pressing the power button on my PC and be ready to go in 3 seconds.

Erm... that wouldn' t be why I put the little shame emoticon at the end of it now would it?

I' m aware my PC blows, belive me, I know.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 18 Aug 07 4:33:49 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 18, 2007 12:54
yes they were

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

It' s about ***ing time. The Pentium 4 series was horrible. They were never top of the line.

Agent Ghost

RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 18, 2007 13:09

yes they were

Yeah for a few months then the athlon 64' s came out.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: RIP Pentium - Aug 18, 2007 13:16
well i think it was more than a few months, I know they blew everything away when the 800 fsb' s came out. The architecture was never good though. They just had so much higher clock rates that it didn' t matter.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll