Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 24, 2007 05:24
Well folks, when I said that the shootings were terrible, but the aftermath would be just as bad, I think I was right.

A professor was fired in Chicago this week because of a demostration he performed while discussing the VA Tech shootings, gun control and whether " an eye for an eye" is a just theory. While discussing, he pointed a marker at a student, and said bang to illustrate a point. A student then pointed a marker at him and said bang to illustrate the point that the gunman might have been stopped had another student or faculty member been armed.

None of the students apparently had a problem with him doing this, but the administration fired him the next day.

Well boys. Cho won. We' re so terrified of firearms that we fire a man for making a point in an educated discussion with the purpose of higher knowlege.

Student Junny Lee, 19, told The Boston Globe that most students didn' t appear to find Winset' s demonstration offensive.

The Link
The Professors Rebuttal on Youtube
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 24 Apr 07 0:20:20 >
Agent Harley

• Total Posts : 11
RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 24, 2007 07:51
OMG, that' s horrible. I would never want to be a party to such a demonstration. I' m glad that teacher was fired. Why demonstrate the need for students or faculty to carry a weapon around? That' s ludricrous!
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 24, 2007 08:18
Actually, I belive he was demonstrating how the attacks could have been prevented.

Agree with his ideas or not, he had the right to give his opinion, and then somebody who opposed his opinion would rebuttle. That' s how a debate works. None of the kids seemed offended by his comments. The only way people are going to return to some sort of normalicy is if they discuss what happened. Fight or flight is a natural human response, and his side of the debate was fight. It' s in the same league as firing somebody that teaches creationism or evolution because you don' t agree with them.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 24, 2007 08:23
Nah I dunno. If none of the students were offended then I dont get what the problem is. I have a feeling that in the near future all students will only be allowed crayons to write with. Being that the state of paranoia will hit critical mass sooner or later.

Lets install sleeping gas in the ventalation system! And if the dangers resides outside we should have sniper towers with military trained pros weilding those sniper rifles that can peirce a tank! Yeaaaaah!

Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 24, 2007 08:43

A student then pointed a marker at him and said bang to illustrate the point that the gunman might have been stopped had another student or faculty member been armed.

This is kind of the party line of the NRA: " this is why we need guns, in order to protect ourselves and prevent these kinds of massacres." But I think these NRA cats are just a bunch of chickensh*t blowhards. Because never, in all these mass shootings, has there been an NRA-to-the-rescue scenario. There' s never been a quick-witted, cool-headed, prepared and capable average-Joe gun owner who has stepped up and stopped a situation like this. The NRA and most gun rights advocates are nothing but lobbyists fronting for weapons manufacturers.

I do believe that people should have the right to own their own guns, not semi-automatics and automatics, but pretty much anything else for self-defense and hunting fairly. But the vast majority of people who start using these tragic events to bleat about how we can' t allow discussions about gun control are a bunch of cowards who are full of sh*t. " I need a semi-automatic gun to protect my property." Lies. You need to quit living like a fearful recluse and establish some real community where you and your neighbors show some compassion and protect each other, instead of just holing up in your compound and living in constant fear. You need to know the people in your community so you can help people who are having mental and emotional problems which lead to violence.
< Message edited by Zoy -- 24 Apr 07 0:44:55 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 24, 2007 08:52
Thats really really stupid. Althought i dont agree with you about the aftermath being worse, because where i am its really peaceful right now, just like it was after 911. I know it wont last but its pretty nice right now
M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 24, 2007 09:24
I' ve actually read about quite a few cases where people stopped a crime from happening because they had guns. They don' t get nearly the publicity because it 32 people don' t die.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 25, 2007 07:14

Well boys. Cho won.

How did he win? He' s dead. He' ll be remembered only as a narcissistic loser. I agree that the proffessor shouldn' t be fired for something so stupid though.

Zoy said it better then any of us could.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 29, 2007 08:49

never, in all these mass shootings, has there been an NRA-to-the-rescue scenario. There' s never been a quick-witted, cool-headed, prepared and capable average-Joe gun owner who has stepped up and stopped a situation like this.

The ones that get stopped usually don' t end up as mass-murder nationwide news stories now do they?

I' ve read, seen and heard plenty of stories about somebody with a firearm diffusing what could have become a volatile situation. I do agree with you though on one of your ideas, while I support the basic ideals of the NRA (Much like I support the basic ideals of America), it' s become a lobbyists haven for the higher-ups. We' re always getting letters from the NRA about how you should donate to this or support that and it' s just not right in my opinion. The real rugged Montanan gun owners don' t bother with that political BS anyway.

Restricting what everybody can own isn' t the answer. Restricting what you sell to who is the key. Cho was a psychologically ill child & he bought his handguns from a backwater pawn-shop who was more than happy to sell him one, regardless of a clearly disturbed background.

" Mr. Cho, It seems you' re out of your f****** mind. Would you like us to institutionalise you?"

" Nope."

" Mmmmkay then."

In fact just today there was word on the news that a man shot a kid to death for walking across his lawn with an illegally aquired shotgun. That' s the kind of stuff that gets me riled. He had a criminal background check but somebody wanted to make a couple bucks. We' d be a heck of a lot better off if we started by enforcing the firearms laws we already have.
mastachefbkw

RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 29, 2007 12:40
lol, speaking of this incident, all the rednecks in my area are totally pissed because they' ve canceled a gun show that we have like 2 or 3 times a year. Thats pretty stupid that they cancel it now, just because some crazy north korean shot up tech.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 29, 2007 23:55
I' ve been to tons of gun shows dude. The only people attending are the yuppies who don' t even have a permit, and Korean war vets who don' t have the stamina to pee standing up. Those folks are downright dangerous!
mastachefbkw

RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - Apr 30, 2007 00:46

Korean war vets who don' t have the stamina to pee standing up. Those folks are downright dangerous!

Lmao
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - May 01, 2007 05:02
You know it' s true.
mastachefbkw

RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - May 01, 2007 11:21
Cant disagree
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Public Enemy #1 After VA Tech? Professors - May 02, 2007 05:06
however the cinnamon roasted peanuts, darn good jerky and my insaciable WWII fetish keep me coming back. It' s sad, but that' s the way it works.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll