Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 firmware update and HS demo!
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 63
Gaiden BLACK

• Total Posts : 675
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 06:55

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

But what about Blue dragon?!

I aint got time for that GAME it bores me to tears.

Say MASS EFFECT and thats where you and i are speaking the same language.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 07:36
The demo was poor, poor, oh so poor imo. Graphically, probably the most impressive I' ve played on my Ps3 so far (with the expetion of VF5, maybe). The demo was too short to really get a grip of anything, and I hope what was tested doesn' t represent all that the game is.

The fightining however was awesome, and the camera work impressive. But I seriously see no fun any longer, with pushing random buttons, appearing on the screen. It was fine, way back in the legancy of Shenmue, but NOW it should never be used. For me it wouldn' t feel any different, just watching a cutscene, nor is it more of a challenge.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 08:05
VF5 is a noob.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 10:51
And your obviously looking to get banned (again).
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 11:22
Glad you' re aware of the details behind the first ban.

I' ve got some questions for you Silent! Thanks by the way for the impressions, as always.

Nothing I havent seen before but her hair just bugs me, its goes everywhere, did they really dedicate one spu to it??

What do you mean goes everywhere? Just, like, unnaturally?

anyway no matter, after the breif opening scene I get to play, one thing I got to say is that the graphics are quite nice, some lower res textures in one or two places but overall its looks excellant. the fps is steady enough at 30fps,

The textures I' m not worried about, that can all be cleaned up, but how is the level design?

I really liked the camera pan to the L2 R2 buttons.

Like... Super Mario World shoulder button pan? Or something more alien?

The six axis is also used in fights [aka when your in the middle of combo, put the controller in the air and she will jump and start fighting from there].

Is it applied well, or just sort of tacked on?

After those are dealt with, you cut all the ropes of the tower thing, it crashs into a building and fight again

Did that come across as epic, or just sort kind of a filler?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

quote:

No can do. I' m in Canada for a while yet. Being busy...

Dude! What' s happening, were you going in to try for a cold call, or were you just checking out the place?

I would never turn up uninvited.

Check your inbox.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 29 Jul 07 3:23:14 >
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 11:46

Glad you' re aware of the details behind the first ban.

Very Patronising, Care to elaborate?

Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 18:59

What do you mean goes everywhere? Just, like, unnaturally?

yeah sort of, its like it has a life of its own, jumping all around the place like that. Altough this is an old build so it might be better in the final game.

but how is the level design?

Level design is fine, I didnt find any problems with it, alrough we didnt get to play very much of the game so I cannot say.

Super Mario World shoulder button pan? Or something more alien?

I dunno, I dont think I ever played Super Mario World that much.

Is it applied well, or just sort of tacked on?

Yeah its applyed, altough I didnt know itwas there untill I read about it in the controlls screen...

Did that come across as epic, or just sort kind of a filler?

This game is going to be quite Epic, I hope it isnt too short though.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 19:14
HAIR:
Well interestingly the hair react i think with the wind, however as soon as you start the demo, the wind appears to be blowing to the right, her hair blows to the left... weird. It has collision detection with everything minus the blades, it doesn' t detract from anything imo.

Level Design:
Nothing to speak of in the demo, it was 3 outdoor " rooms" very small, can' t run off the edges, and 1 QTE - Nothign to write home about.

Camera/Mario:
Never played it much , it pans about a 45 degree to the right to left of Noriko, not much. Apparently this can be done with motion control by turning it. I' ve heard you have to turn it a bit much for it to start though.

Motion control:
For the jump it' s a bit difficult to ' get' at first and people seem to have troubles with it. It works but i' d prefer a button press. You can also lift up to air recover - I' ve never succeeded doing it yet.

Epic:
The QTE was epic enough, all helped add cool factor. However unlike Shenmue the QTE is TOO easy, it' s like a cut scene rather than something interactive. It needs to be fast paced, with more sence of urgency.
Silentbomber

RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 23:12
I generally dont like qte' s, I think its just a lazy way to try to immerse the player into the cutscene.
Gaiden BLACK

• Total Posts : 675
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 23:29

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

I generally dont like qte' s, I think its just a lazy way to try to immerse the player into the cutscene.

Yeah Shenmue was the only game to do it right and make it really fun.
Dionysius

RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 23:51
Hear, hear.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 29, 2007 23:56

ORIGINAL: Dionysius

Hear, hear.

I think that is a funny expression.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_hear
Dionysius

RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 30, 2007 00:36
Me 2
uumai

RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 30, 2007 02:18
I like QTE' s better than just watching a cut scene, it' d be nice if they more options, like the whole fail = death then retry thing is stupid, it should result in another branch opened, leading to something/somewhere else.

Dionysius

RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Jul 30, 2007 04:28
Not HS, but about QTE' s. I recall a David Cage interview, where he bashed the FF series for being nothing but Cutscenes. Then I played Fahrenheit a.k.a. Indigo Prophecy, and found the biggest abuse of QTE in the history of Video Games. Though the first ten min' s of the game was great, all the cutscenes with QTE' s was drove me insane. It was like watching a movie whike fumbling with the volume buttons on the TV remote controller. I even remember the Gamespot Video review of the game, where the guys where all like...

Dude #1 " Check this out!"
Dude #2 " Whoa, you did NOT just do that!"
Dude #1 again " Oh yes, I did!"

...when the Idiots where playing through one of the action QTE' s events.

*sigh

Man, I hate how that game turned out.
< Message edited by dionysius -- 29 Jul 07 20:37:23 >
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Aug 01, 2007 19:51

I like QTE' s better than just watching a cut scene, it' d be nice if they more options, like the whole fail = death then retry thing is stupid, it should result in another branch opened, leading to something/somewhere else.

It' s not fail = death, then retry - in Heavenly Sword..

The rope QTE are easy, however if you miss the last triangle, the toughest foe on the rock-plateu, survive, instead of beeing kicked out of the plateu by Nariko... And the first fight get alot tougher..

When the rock-plateu is crashing down however, there is a pretty tough QTE, if you manage the X she will not fall flat on her face in the arena, however I' ve failed all my 4 times, so I' ve never tried the difference on the arena fight, I' ve allways found those hard tough. :-/

The fighting mechanic is awesome, the foes are also using the same fighting mechanics (i.e. the different stances), and you can block, and counter only if you are in the correct stance, you see the stance they are using by the colour of the aura. It would perhaps have been easier if I could jump, but I like the current system.

The animations are fantastic, definately the coolest move-visuals in any fighting-game, I' ve tried.

I read on the NT-forums that the sony-testers didn' t manage to complete it on ' hell-difficulty' so Ninja Theory had to send up some ninjas to prove it could be completed on that difficulty. :-/
So I guess it will atleast be challenging enough. :P

I found the hair really usefull, it were much easier to find my characther quickly after watching the foes. :)
The fact that it' s flying around looking awesome while fighting, is not a problem.

I really enjoyed the demo, and I' ll definately buy this game. :)
From what I' ve seen, it' s a must-have title.
Silentbomber

RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Aug 01, 2007 21:13

if you manage the X she will not fall flat on her face in the arena, however I' ve failed all my 4 times, so I' ve never tried the difference on the arena fight, I' ve allways found those hard tough. :-/

... you do know you have to keep on tapping it?
uumai

RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Aug 02, 2007 01:40
LMAO you know silent, i was thinking the same exact thing... it' s so difficult to fail them...

The rope if you fail, norioko should go another route if she fails twice and end up in a different place or something. I also know you can miss the last Triangle press and get a harder fight, i believe i posted that in this very forum.

I' d like some more to come from it - i know i' m asking a lot, and i' d want the QTE to be more difficult, because as i stated, it' s far to easy. Succeeding the pillar falling only means you land on your feet not your face.
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Aug 02, 2007 04:32

easy. Succeeding the pillar falling only means you land on your feet not your face

I know, but the problem is that I don' t get the start of the X, i press X, but I' m never aware of the life on the last foe since I were trying to do comboes, so I don' t start pressing the pillar QTE quick enough.
I only noticed she landed upright when a friend played, and that' s why I figured I were doing it wrong. :P
If you think the QTE events are to easy, just put it on harder difficulty. :)

That way we who ain' t uber-QTE-experts don' t have to suffer. :)
Silentbomber

RE: PS3 firmware update and HS demo! - Aug 02, 2007 04:40
anybody play this game in another language? every one has its own dubbing. I guess thats where bluRay had an Anvantage over dvd but man I dont want to download Intro' s movies and extra soundtracks on a demo that I will not use and see. I mean 3mins gameplay for one gig? thats the worst part about this demo!
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 63

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message