Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 10:40
LINK

According to our PS3forum industry insider, Sony will be releasing Firmware 2.4 sometime in June around the launch of Metal Gear Solid 4. Also mentioned is that the new Firmware 2.4 will include some of the first PlayStation Trophies. *Note that these will be the 2D trophies found on the XMB and not the 3D trophies coming in Home later this year.

" The SDK 2.40 will be available to dev. late in June. The actual Firmware 2.40 might see the light of day a lot sooner (my personal guess would be launch aligned or slightly before MGS4 )." - PS3Forum Insider

Further into the thread, they state that the Firmware 2.4 will also include improved Audio/Video communication, however don' t get your hopes up that this is for in-game XMB. As developers will receive their 2.4 debug units in June, expect that only first party Sony titles to have trophies first.

Stay tuned to PSU for more information.

So, here' s my question to you guys. Do you find cross-platform games less enjoyable because the PS3 counterparts don' t have an achievement style system? Do you miss that Pavlovian rush when you get that " Achievement Unlocked" blip up on your HUD?
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 11:13
Imho I hate the Achievement system dont get me wrong. The system is pretty cool I just don' t see the use in it. I guess I' m not the hardcore gamer I thought I was.

I hate when I unlock something and that little icon at the bottom comes up. Its like using yahoo messenger and when one of your friends come online it makes that annoying sound. That sound is one I really dislike.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 11:47
It depends on the game really. Unlocking the achievements in DOA4 (and the soon Ninja Gaiden 2) are pretty fun and so are the medals in Uncharted. But I really don' t miss them or the lack of them don' t make my enjoyment of a game lessen.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 11:52
Don' t care for achievements at all. I like a system where you actually get rewarded. In SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1., by achieving certain goals and unlocking the medals in the games you' re rewarded with stuff like access to Sound tests, moves lists, and art work. I like that system, I have yet to see Achievements do anything like that.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 12:06

Don' t care for achievements at all. I like a system where you actually get rewarded. In SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1., by achieving certain goals and unlocking the medals in the games you' re rewarded with stuff like access to Sound tests, moves lists, and art work. I like that system, I have yet to see Achievements do anything like that.

Agreed. The medals in Uncharted unlock all sorts of things. Bragging rights are not something that interest me.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 12:34
I don' t see how someone can say they hate achievements. Its not like they effect the gameplay. I like them because they actually make me finish the game on harder difficulties, finish 100%, and so on. If it weren' t for achievements I would only play most of my games once then quit and go to multiplayer.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 14:02
If they annoy you you can turn off the notifications in the options somewhere.
IstillwantShenmue3

• Total Posts : 54
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 14:59
There should be achievements in crap games like congrats you' ve finally finished a crap game. Congrats on wasting your life.
Wow you get to see the end credits the best part of the game since it sucks, 20g.
This game was actually good you and everyone else thinks it' s bad just because, 40g.
And to think you could of screwed instead, 60g.
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 15, 2008 20:27
I think its a nice feature to have but wont be missed if its not there. It sometimes encourages you to play the game differently (which may introduce something that you like more about the game) and to find all of them so you can finish the game 100% (just to finish the game not to brag). But as many people said id rather have rewards instead of just a tick in a long list.
< Message edited by GrayFox -- 15 May 08 12:30:49 >
Kelvinellenton

• Total Posts : 454
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 16, 2008 00:05
I would like the option if you could use them for anything else than to show how boring you are
< Message edited by Kelvinellenton -- 15 May 08 16:05:31 >
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 16, 2008 03:12
I haven' t paid much attention to achievements. But I know some people who are obsessed with them.
Kelvinellenton

RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 16, 2008 04:14
The Achivement Whores
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 16, 2008 04:19
Yeah, and eventually it' s just like, you look at their Gamerscore and you' re just like, " Oh, you buy/rent a lot of games." That' s really all there is to it.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 16, 2008 04:29
For me achievements enhance the game experience and are a form of competition that I am very interested in participating in. It happens quite often that me and friends see who can get the most points in one game in a time frame and that' s pretty fun. For me achievements are some sort of evolution of the highscore.
Kelvinellenton

RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 16, 2008 04:36
If you could use the points like some kind of discount codes then I would like them because otherwise it' s sort of irrelevant
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 16, 2008 04:41
I didn' t get to post my thoughts on this.

Achievement freaks excel at making sure you know the size of their e-penis. Therefore I can conclude that they in fact have small penises in real life, and are compensating through their Gamerscore.

With that being said, I do still enjoy the system. The achievements I enjoy getting are the ones that I find easy, and frustrate the hell out of the people around me (COD4' s Mile High Club achievement is a perfect example of this). Game progress achievements, and Kill X people with X, beat X track in X time, do absolutely nothing for me, unless there' s some reason to do so already present in the game.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: PS3 " Trophies" Arrive in June - May 16, 2008 05:38
The only time I can think of that it actually improved my game was in Gears. I hated the pistol and sniper in Gears, but when I was trying to get the achievements I got better and found out they were actually really useful.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll