Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 Hardware failing?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 36
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 10, 2008 19:22
Saw this posted on teamxbox, has anyone seen or heard of a ps3 near them of suffering from this? Not getting into any fanboy mud-throwing, I' ll be getting a ps3 at some time in the near future and want to know if this is a major problem.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/16181/Rumor-PlayStation-3-Error-80010514-Spreading-Widely/
< Message edited by Ornodeal -- 10 Apr 08 11:22:50 >
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 10, 2008 20:59
I had mine for over a year and ahalf and never had one problem. No lock ups or anything like that.

I not sure where they are getting that from. I' m not saying that they dont have issues but you dont stand a big chance to have one break on you. Its like 1 out of ten that break.

I will tell you that it does get dusty and I mean very dusty.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:00
I think my PS3 has frozen on me like once. And that was playing Assassin' s Creed, which had freezing problems on the PS3.

I am sure there are malfunctioning PS3' a out there, but I find it a little unreliable coming from an Xbox fansite.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:01
Teamxbox isnt a ' fan' site ...
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:11
Well, I have seen the news on other sites now, so maybe there is more to this than just rumors.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:16
I don' t think that this is going to turn out to be as widespread as some of the media are making it out to be.

choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:25

Its like 1 out of ten that break.

1 in 10 is huge! Heh, I' m sure you meant 1 in 100,000 or something.

I dont think the issue is anywhere near as big as 360s, even though I' m lucky enough to still be on my first box.
canadagamer

RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:41

I dont think the issue is anywhere near as big as 360s, even though I' m lucky enough to still be on my first box.

WTF? Voodoo Magic?
Sarge John

• Total Posts : 10
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:48

ORIGINAL: canadagamer

WTF? Voodoo Magic?

Has anyone ever heard a tale called " repair at Microsoft" ? Im on my first Xbox 360 but mine has had the RRoD once already.
On a side note i heard that once the PS3s cooling fan breaks it cant get repaired. Is this true?
choupolo

RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:57

Has anyone ever heard a tale called " repair at Microsoft" ?

This is my first and unrepaired box! Its been fine since I got it March ' 06. Its a German box from a second hand import store.

Hearing tales on the forum and my friends' though, I' m inclined to believe it is voodoo.

I' m sure Eddie will find a way to repair PS3 broken fans Sarge. Maybe with a towel or something.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 10 Apr 08 19:02:36 >
Sarge John

RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 02:59

ORIGINAL: choupolo

Has anyone ever heard a tale called " repair at Microsoft" ?

Well, this is my first and unrepaired box! Its been fine since I got it March ' 06. Its a German box from a second hand import store.

Hearing tales on the forum and my friends' though, I' m inclined to believe it is voodoo.

I' m sure Eddie will find a way to repair PS3 broken fans Sarge. Maybe with a towel or something.

I didnt know Germany used voodoo. By the way how do you know the xbox hasnt been repaired if you got it from a second hand shop in Germany?
choupolo

RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 03:06
Oh, I meant its a second hand shop in the UK that sells mostly second hand games but new import hardware as well. I guess you' ve got a point though, I dont know where exactly they got it from.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 10 Apr 08 19:07:24 >
Sarge John

RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 03:12

ORIGINAL: choupolo

Oh, I meant its a second hand shop in the UK that sells mostly second hand games but new import hardware as well. I guess you' ve got a point though, I dont know where exactly they got it from.

That clears things up. Thanks for info.
canadagamer

RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 03:42

I dont know where exactly they got it from.

Haitians!!!!!
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 05:12

Teamxbox isnt a ' fan' site ...

Well the article writer is at least a bit of a knob -

" Now, the PlayStation 3, which shipped a year after the Xbox 360, may be the next system to experience a systemic hardware failure."

The fact that it shipped a year later has nothing to do with the article they are writing about, not to mention that it' s common knowledge.

However, it does allude to a common excuse that I get from 360 fanboys when defending the failure rate of their beloved console. They often mention that it shipped a year earlier than Sony or Nintendo, and that it was a trade off to have an early start with better games, and take the risk of poor hardware.

As for the original post, I have never had these problems, nor have any of my friends with ps3' s. My ps3 makes my 360 look like a piece of shit in every aspect except in games. From build quality, speed of operation, media capabilities to how quiet and easy to use it is. That said, I use it about 1/10th as much as I use my xbox, and that' s including the time I spend watching Blu Rays on it.

canadagamer

RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 05:23

My ps3 makes my 360 look like a piece of shit in every aspect except in games

What else would you expect from a gaming console? No matter, this will soon change with the lineup of games coming to the PS3 this year.

BTW Dagashi, Flames played a great game against the Sharks!!!!!!!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 07:59
I have three minor problems with my PS3:

#1 - A game will freeze requiring a system reboot. This is pretty rare and happens more on my Xbox360 (which is still not very often).

#2 - Sometimes the sound will be messed up, as if there is a layer of high-pitched metallic static in the sound. Sound still plays, but it sounds very odd. This affects both DTS and Dolby Digital. A system reboot cures the problem. Sounds are going out the optical TOSlink connector. This happens more often than game freezes, but still has only happened 3 or 4 times since I purchased the PS3 in December.

#3 - Sometimes the HDMI video will drop out, usually during a game transition (not during actual play). My TV doesn' t see any incoming info as the TV' s menu system pops up. A second or two later, the video returns and all is fine. This has happened maybe three times.

I haven' t had any of these issues in Blu-ray movies, only games.

Are these things happening to anyone else?
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 11 Apr 08 0:00:47 >
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 08:10
You' re really an idiot if you think there' s any mass-market electronic that doesn' t " Fail" .

This thread is about a hopeless xbox fanboy faggot who wants to compare xbox 360' s 95% failure rate, to ps3' s 5%

Should a PS3 break you can rest assured sont wont send you back 4 bad ps3' s in a row like MS does with 360.

Microsofot & Xbox360 are garbage, get over it and accept PS3' s superiority.

Thank you.
< Message edited by emofag -- 11 Apr 08 0:15:48 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 09:18

On a side note i heard that once the PS3s cooling fan breaks it cant get repaired. Is this true

Anything can be repaired Sarge.

The Playstation 3 uses a proprietary cooling fan (yes, that' s fan in the singular). When I opened up one roughly a year ago it was about seven inches across, and looks exactly like...

That.

It' s totally fixable. You just can' t buy it at your local Radio-Shack, and wouldn' t be able to repair it unless you' ve got a background in console modding, or serious PC cooling. Oh, did I mention? Their cooling system is orgasmic. Microsoft and Nintendo both could take leaves out of Sony' s book.

PS3 Hardware failing

...Erm.... no.

Did I mention " no" ?

Now, that' s the simple answer, those with no hardware expertise or interest can skip the next paragraph.

To be totally honest, this isn' t a hardware problem at all, and it effects a very very small number of PS3s, at least in comparison to the community at large. Comparing it to the Xbox 360' s red ring of death is nothing but sensationalism at it' s best.

The 80010514 error, which most are mistaking for a drive flaw, is actually a bad sector on their hard-drive or incorrectly installed firmware (commonly a combination of the two). What people commonly overlook is that movies, and (if you' re on a backwards-compatible PS3) PS2 and PS1 games should all still work fine with the 80010514 in place.

Everyone' s a critic in the industry, but very few actually have the knowhow to properly critique " hardware" flaws such as this. The fools who are pinning this on Blu-Ray don' t have a clue.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 11 Apr 08 16:29:47 >
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: PS3 Hardware failing? - Apr 11, 2008 11:12

#3 - Sometimes the HDMI video will drop out, usually during a game transition (not during actual play). My TV doesn' t see any incoming info as the TV' s menu system pops up. A second or two later, the video returns and all is fine. This has happened maybe three times.

I have had this happen at least 6 or 7 times, most commonly when playing NHL 2k7. Not sure why it does it, but it does. The only way for me to fix it is to grab my TV remote and switch away from HDMI 1 and then back to it. Only once has it refused to display again after doing that, and I was forced to reboot.

#2 - Sometimes the sound will be messed up..................

I' ve had it happen twice so far, once in Warhawk, the other time in Oblivion.

#1 - A game will freeze requiring a system reboot. This is pretty rare and happens more on my Xbox360 (which is still not very often).

As with every system, I' ve had this happen(Warhawk did it a ton in Beta, but that wasn' t the ps3' s fault). Luckily, never during Oblivion, but it' s happened a couple times on NHL(I think it was a faulty save file thoigh), and a couple times on other games. Just like you said though, I' ve had at least twice as many freeze ups on my Xbox, which I' ve had half as long. Still though, neither freeze up more than any of my past consoles(ps2 froze more for me than any console I' ve ever had).

EDIT TO ADD -

BTW Dagashi, Flames played a great game against the Sharks!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! The goal when Iggy knocked the net off was so close. I missed a bit of the first(damn you work!), but I got to watch the rest. Watching them sing the anthem for game 2 as we speak. GO FLAMES GO!

< Message edited by Dagashi -- 11 Apr 08 3:15:48 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 36

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread