Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Opera 9.1 is out
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 19, 2006 08:11
Opera 9.1 is out. It pwns and stuff. IE, Firefox and especially Safari suck in comparison.
http://www.opera.com
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 19, 2006 09:15
? Nothing Pwns firefox, b/c I have the Ogame toolbar.

Shameless plug: ogame
< Message edited by immortaldanmx -- 19 Dec 06 1:16:17 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 19, 2006 09:18
Toolbars are evil and spread conumism around the world.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 19 Dec 06 1:19:03 >
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 19, 2006 10:22

Toolbars are evil and spread conumism around the world.

Usually yes, but this one no. The only function it has is to make navigating OGame easier.
locopuyo

RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 20, 2006 05:30
A few reasons Opera is superior to firefox:
Faster
Mouse Gestures
better downloads interface
Bit Torrent client
IRC client
better tabbing
voice
widgets
real full screen
looks better
better security record

I could go on and on....
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 23, 2006 08:04
Yeah, Opera rules! I shall go download this now.

I didn' t know Opera had A bit torrent function! is this one of the new features, or have I Just been missing out?
locopuyo

RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 23, 2006 08:53
It was new in 9.0. Several months ago I guess.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 23, 2006 09:33
I have always hated Opera, especially since they want you to pay for it.

A few reasons Opera is superior to firefox:
Faster

Nope. Perhaps your Firefox is set for dial up?

Mouse Gestures

I hate mouse gestures. But you can use them in Firefox I believe, as a friend of mine who also has a huge hard-on for mouse gestures stayed with Opera because of that, but now he uses Firefox exclusively.

better downloads interface

I don' t understand this. Firefox just shows you a bar as the download progresses. Does the download bar in Opera look fancier and sparkle or something? I fail to see how right clicking and downloading could get any " better" .

Bit Torrent client

I hate bit torrent. Slowest form of download possible it seems, and you' re dependent on everyone else already having and seeding the file. If they don' t, you' re screwed.

IRC client

I hate chat rooms. They are teh ghey and only teenagers use them.

better tabbing

Firefox does this pretty well, the only thing that could be improves is the amount of dead clickable area when I try to close a tab... you have to click on the tiny " X" in order to do it.

voice

The browser reads any/all onscreen text for you? I believe the Mac OS does this natively. At least I know OS 7-9 did it, and it wasn' t limited to web browsers.

widgets

Mac OS has built in widgets if you really have a fetish for that kind of thing.

real full screen

As opposed to having the BACK and STOP buttons at the top? I never let my browser take up the full screen anyway because my screen is just too awesomely huge.

looks better

How so? There' s nothing to look at if you have " real" full screen.

better security record

That' s because very few people use Opera in comparison, so the 1337 kiddies don' t try to haxxor it.
Silentbomber

RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 23, 2006 09:54
Why did Nintendo use it on the Wii? maybe becuase Ps3 has Firefox?

and thats a pretty stupid reason.

Edit:
Just compared the two, Firefox 2.0 [or whatever the newest one is] and Opera 9.1.

Firefox wins, becuase it took Opera about 1/3 extra [of firefoxs] time to load up the same page.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 23 Dec 06 2:02:23 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 23, 2006 11:01
Opera is garbage.
locopuyo

RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 23, 2006 15:52
You don' t have to pay for opera dude, its been free for years now. You obviously haven' t used it Joe. If you did you would realize why all of those points make it better. It actually brings up a new tab when you click to open a link instead of a new window. Mouse gestures actually work the way they are supposed to in opera. You can download a plugin for firefox but they still dont' work right. The download manager doesn' t suck like firefox. It actually has options. You obviously can' t use Opera widgets without Opera. Full screen in opera fills up the whole screen like it is supposed to, you can then use mouse gestures to navigate (which blow goats for quarters in shitty foxgay). I' m not gonna say I navigate in full screen but it is many of the little things Opera does way better than that nub browsers. Most people don' t use craptastic OS X with its crappy built in voice, you can do it with opera on any platform. If you actually use opera and firefox for your typical web browsing you WILL find Opera to be faster. You don' t need to use IRC and bit torrent if you don' t want to. But you are a nub for not use bit torrent. I' m torrenting at over 800 KBytes/s right now... that maxes out my connection, not exactly slow. And you all know if evilnub says it sux there is a good chance it pwns.

Also, all of the features you find in firefox have been copied from Opera. You can use firefox and get that functionality a year later if you want.

kthxbai
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 25, 2006 00:59

You don' t have to pay for opera dude, its been free for years now.

..you do if you wish to get rid of the inbuilt advertising that takes up, like, 1/3rd of screen space...

.....i never tried Firefox, but with or without ads, Opera seems like a pretty good browser overall....

...too bad both are totally pwaned by Safari though...

< Message edited by Bishonen -- 24 Dec 06 17:00:28 >
locopuyo

RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 25, 2006 03:30

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

You don' t have to pay for opera dude, its been free for years now.

..you do if you wish to get rid of the inbuilt advertising that takes up, like, 1/3rd of screen space...

.....i never tried Firefox, but with or without ads, Opera seems like a pretty good browser overall....

...too bad both are totally pwaned by Safari though...

Opera hasn' t had ads for like 2 years now....

I have yet to hear one good reason why Safari is better than Opera.
locopuyo

RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 25, 2006 04:51
As you can see firefox wastes the most space with its navigation system.
Silentbomber

RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 25, 2006 08:43
I really dont care about the Size of the screen, its the speed. And Firefox is faster.
locopuyo

RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 25, 2006 10:52
Bah, no it isn' t. Humbug
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Opera 9.1 is out - Dec 25, 2006 14:38
Actually I did download Opera after typing that post, and there was still a " BUY" tab or link on the site. Anyway I installed it, used it, copied over my bookmarks, etc and I now hate Opera even more. I don' t understand what you mean by the download manager sucking in Firefox. I want my downloads to go to a certain place and they do. There is never a problem. And like I said, mouse gestures suck. If you want to click your left and right mouse buttons in a certain sequence just to go forward and back, etc, then just get a mouse with more buttons and program those options into it. Also, why would I want a voice to read text to me? Maybe if I couldn' t read. Therefore only illiterate hicks need the text-to-speech mode. Damn inbred trailer trash. Also, only teenagers use bittorrent. Teenagers are lame. They' re not even real people yet. People with better things to do download their illegal files from elsewhere at 6mbps or more (depending on your connection). I illegally downloaded all 9 seasons of South Park to illegally store them on my computer and illegally watch them on my TV through my Xbox Media Center. Downloading all 9 seasons (close to 20GB or so I think) took less than a day. Plus, there is no uploading involved to the RIAA/MPAA/FCC can' t get all up in your ass.

What is a " nub" ? Is that even a word? Do you mean knob? As in knob-slobbering? I can only assume so by your use of a non-existent word or piss-poor spelling of an existing one. And don' t point me to the urban dictionary... anyone who uses phrases from that are usually loser teenagers without a grasp on the English language (hence why they' d need the text-to-speech mode).

As you can see firefox wastes the most space with its navigation system.

The picture is so small that I can' t quite tell which browser is which, even after I click on it. But as far as space go they all seem good enough. Notice how much dead space there is on the sides. Whatever browser is on the left really looks horrible with that red frame. Is that Firefox and you are trying to make it look as excruciatingly ugly as possible in order to help your argument?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll