Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Onlive
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
Onlive - Mar 24, 2009 22:28
I saw those 2 vids about this new technology they gonna release on winter 2009. What it does is make you play PC/Xbox/PS3 games on any PC/Mac/[TV(with a small add on)] supposedly lag free. Games are rendered on their mainframes and sent "using a new technology that took 7 years to develop" that should make it lag free. Gonna need a 5Mb connection for HD streams and 1.5Mb for SD streams.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47079.aspx

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47081.aspx

What are your takes on this?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Onlive - Mar 24, 2009 22:46
that it is complete bs and there is no way they can make it "lag free"
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Onlive - Mar 24, 2009 23:19
surelyitdependsonthespeedofyourbroadbandconnectionlol

It'll be amazing, epoch-defining, if it works, but they've got a mountain to climb...
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Onlive - Mar 24, 2009 23:24
Really cool for college students who have hours of nothing in between classes.  The problem is internet connection.  This device has much more use on the go but it can be expensive to bring a high speed connection with you (at least in Canada). 

I can see them having a much higher chance at success if they include movies and television shows as well.

I'll reserve judgment until I see pricing and support.
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Mar 24, 2009 23:27>
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 00:37
Man, they must have a tonne of machines, wherever they're based.

I can imagine this is going to one hugely expensive online rental service.

Plus there's no way it'll be lag free, bandwidth costs ruin all.
<message edited by choupolo on Mar 25, 2009 00:41>
locopuyo

Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 01:19
uh it won't be lag free no matter how fast your internet is. Let's say you have a 50 ms ping to their server, which is being really generous considering they won't have machines all over the place. You press 'A' to jump, the server gets this signal in 50 ms, then takes another 50 ms for whatever changed in the game to get back to you. You have a tenth of a second delay. We aren't talking about lag like playing an online fps we are talking about the whole system client side, this is unplayable. Unless they've invented FTL communication this is BS. kthxbai idiots who think this will work.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 01:49
I will say the same thing here as what I said on another forum:

Compressed video? Compressed??? I have very little tolerance for that sort of thing, and 5.0 mbps is NOWHERE NEAR enough bandwidth for a 720p stream. HDTV television runs at about 19mbps and you still see artifacts all over the place. And if they used an interframe codec (which they'd have to in order to keep the bandwidth down) then there would be severe lag because interframe video is sent out as GOP (or groups of pictures) and several frames have to be compressed together as a group before they can be sent. The bottom line is that games would look far worse than they do now and they would lag like all fuck.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 02:33
Joe Redifer

I will say the same thing here as what I said on another forum:

Compressed video? Compressed??? I have very little tolerance for that sort of thing, and 5.0 mbps is NOWHERE NEAR enough bandwidth for a 720p stream. HDTV television runs at about 19mbps and you still see artifacts all over the place. And if they used an interframe codec (which they'd have to in order to keep the bandwidth down) then there would be severe lag because interframe video is sent out as GOP (or groups of pictures) and several frames have to be compressed together as a group before they can be sent. The bottom line is that games would look far worse than they do now and they would lag like all fuck.

but 7 years
Joe Redifer

Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 03:18
OMG!
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 03:24
locopuyo

uh it won't be lag free no matter how fast your internet is. Let's say you have a 50 ms ping to their server, which is being really generous considering they won't have machines all over the place. You press 'A' to jump, the server gets this signal in 50 ms, then takes another 50 ms for whatever changed in the game to get back to you. You have a tenth of a second delay. We aren't talking about lag like playing an online fps we are talking about the whole system client side, this is unplayable. Unless they've invented FTL communication this is BS. kthxbai idiots who think this will work.

They have said theyre aiming for 1ms ping if youre within 1,000 miles from a server. I dont buy it, but thats what theyre saying.
locopuyo

Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 03:38
lawls, I swear I read about this thing a year or two ago and it was widely accepted as retarded
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 08:02
there was something called streammygame, which didnt really work!

Even if they can push it down to 10ms its still too much response time.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 09:22
The games would have to be tweaked to make them work around the deficiency... but it looks like basically PC games, running on PCs, streamed to your screen.  So not really a 4th platform, maybe just a way to get PC games to the masses, it would sure help the PC game industry.

Vx - streammygame requires you to have a PC that can run the game, it just fowards the output to another PC in your home network.  That's stupid.   Onlive is talking about actually running the games on remote computers and streaming to your screen.

I don't want to believe it but unless what I read is total bullshit there's actually big publishers behind this (EA, Ubisoft, etc), it may actually launch...  I still wanna say it's a hoax.
<message edited by emofag on Mar 25, 2009 09:51>
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 12:43
locopuyo

I didnt come saying "OMG THIS NEW TECH IS AWSOME". I am doubtful and think that they can NOT eliminate lag. What i think is getting 9 big name companies behind this means that they have something. It also wont substitue a persons everyday gaming but would be useful if you are traveling or if you are a student living in campus. Hence i am asking about what you guys think about this on 2 different aspects: 1) Do you think that it will work or not? 2) Assuming that it works, What do you think about it?

The games would have to be tweaked to make them work around the deficiency

I think they said that the games need a bit of tweaking that was easy to do on PC/Mac/Xbox and a "little" tricky on PS3.
<message edited by GrayFox on Mar 25, 2009 12:47>
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 16:33
Meh... it's not really worth talking about. Ngage had big publisher support and look where that went...
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 16:40
Pachter says it's game over for consoles -

http://www.vg247.com/2009/03/25/gdc-this-is-the-last-console-generation-says-pachter/

What the hell else am I going to spend my money on? Cosmetics?
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 16:47
Edwin

http://www.vg247.com/2009/03/25/gdc-this-is-the-last-console-generation-says-pachter/

Well you are an ugly fuck...

But no, Pachter is a moron who doesn't know his arse from his elbow. His salary certainly doesn't reflect his level of expertise in this industry. I wouldn't worry too much about how many console generations are left.
immortaldanmx

Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 17:06
Edwin

Patcher also said the PS3 would crush the 360 and Wii with PS2-esque sales. Then he also said that Xbox Live would never be a hit. He also said digital distribution would completely do away with physical media by 2010. Guy is a dumbass who gets paid to make (uneducated) guesses. No one can really know what a market will do without all the peices, and if anyone does have all the peices, its not him.
Joe Redifer

Re:Onlive - Mar 25, 2009 19:07
Who the fuck is "Patcher"?  Since I have never heard of this asshole, his comments mean nothing.
immortaldanmx

Re:Onlive - Mar 26, 2009 04:58
Joe Redifer

Who the fuck is "Patcher"?  Since I have never heard of this asshole, his comments mean nothing.

If you have heard of him his comments would mean even less.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message