Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader)
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 20, 2007 23:59

More than 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles have sold across the 37 countries where it is currently available. Xbox LIVE is currently available in 25 countries across the globe.

According to U.S. NPD data, gamers have bought more software for the Xbox 360 (24.3 million units), than software for PS3 and Wii combined (19.8 million units).

Xbox 360 is the next-gen console with the largest games attach rate at an astounding 6.3 games sold per Xbox 360 owner.

Xbox LIVE members have spent more than 3.2 billion hours playing games on Xbox LIVE with their friends around the world. That is equal to 137 million days or more than 376,000 years of gaming.

There have been 2.5 billion game sessions hosted since the launch of Xbox 360, with more than 5.6 million hosted each day so far in 2007.

Next-Gen.Biz

This morning the Associated Press posted a STORY about HOME being delayed, where they mentioned that 360 was at 11.6M and Wii was at 9.3M, which at first i didn' t think much of until now.

If AP are right then 360 is still the market leader and would likely remain so until at least early 2008.

Heh, an attach rate of 6.3 is stellar at this stage in the console lifecycle...
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 00:00
Thats great and all,but MS needs to look for more and more exclusive titles nonstop.
Im afraid MS might slow down just because Sony doesnt sell ps3' s.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 00:10
I told you guys, unless Nintendo makes a press statement THEY ARE NOT THE LEADER.
gamer4eva

• Total Posts : 104
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 01:22
Decent attach rate usually means Little difference between games. 360 games are always the same. Nothing new, Always playing it safe. The industry would go nowhere if all companies went the same rout.

Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 01:33
Thats such a sweeping generalisation! You might as well say all games are the same full stop. If innovation was mass market you' d say the same of them!! Innovative software doesnt shift consoles, hardware maybe - but so many of the games we know and love were commercial failures, despite the fact they are some of the best games ever produced.

Effectively you are trashing a format before it is halfway through its lifecycle, which isn' t very open minded... There are ten times the examples for " innovation" killing companies than making them successful. Innovation is like the icing on a cake, (it' s awesome!) but if you made a cake completely of icing it wouldnt be special anymore!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 01:45

Decent attach rate usually means Little difference between games. 360 games are always the same. Nothing new, Always playing it safe. The industry would go nowhere if all companies went the same rout.

Even if we went along and accepted that all 360 games are the same. How are sony and Nintendo any different. Most games are multiplatform anyways. The only reason Wii doesn' t have the same games as PS3 and 360 is because it can' t handle them so the games have to be downgraded.
gamer4eva

• Total Posts : 104
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 02:50
Your wrong on every point. Too tired argue, im used to having proper gaming conversations about Gameplay, mechanics and fesh ideas and the industry not arguing with fanboy kids who know nothing other than to try and convince theirsad selves..

ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 02:57
You' re a funny guy!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 03:10
Must be another multiple account user.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 03:17

ORIGINAL: gamer4eva

Your wrong on every point. Too tired argue, im used to having proper gaming conversations about Gameplay, mechanics and fesh ideas and the industry not arguing with fanboy kids who know nothing other than to try and convince theirsad selves..

What the hell are you talking about? What Metroid Prime is so different from every other Metroid game now because of the Wii mote? I have played through Prime, and I can let you know first off that it is an awesome game, but it doesn' t bring anything new to the table gameply wise other than being able to use the Wii mote which IMHO I would prefer to have played the game without it. So let' s go on to another Wii game, Wii Sports. Name one revolution in gameplay that Wii Sports offers different from any other sport game, NHL 08, Madden 08, Fight Night, etc. If anything, Wii Sports dumbs the gameplay down so that the whole family can enjoy. Forget any stragety that you need in baseball, football, soccer, or boxing. Nintendo dumbed the gameplay of those sports in Wii Sports so much that it is just about laughable.

If you ask me, the biggest revolution in gameplay has been the introduction of online mulitplayer.

Bottom line is the fact that most games that come out on any console are going to have basic gameplay that we have all played and enjoyed before. Instead of wanting to drastically change gameplay with gimmick controllers and the like, why not have devs concentrate on things like sound, atmosphere, and great story telling in games. Why the hell do I care if a console comes out with a gimmick controller if they can' t give me games that can match the sound, atmosphere, and great story that other games can?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 08:20
I' m pretty sure selling more games per console means there are more games people want on that console. Which means it has better games, probably a better variety of good games too.

I' m also pretty sure gamer4eva has less mental capacity than that of an eight year old.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 08:26
Again this doesn' t surprise me at all. Hence my hesitance to comment earlier thread regarding the Wii becoming market leader.

6.3 Attach rate is very impressive, but not unexpected, like i said having such a large library of games means 360 are spoilt for choice, and more choice means more potential software sales. Lets not forget its one Year head start on both the Wii & PS3.

As for PS3 & Wii software sales, a little disappointing, but, expecially in the Wiis case its lack of quality software is the whole reason its attach rate is significantly lower. I guarantee if the Wii had the same quantity of quality games as the 360 we would also see a similar attach rate (maybe not the same, but much closer). 1 year in to its lifecycle, the Wii has a decent attach rate for what it has on offer now.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 21 Sep 07 0:32:21 >
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 08:56
This AR thing seems like the last thread to hold on to.

Decent attach rate usually means Little difference between games. 360 games are always the same. Nothing new

That makes perfect sense actually (although you sound too angry about it) the 360 market mostly consists of a hardcore audience that stick the same type of games and know what they want to buy, reason why developers are playing safe and not straying away from the normal formula. You' ll notice that any game that did stray away sold poorly (viva Piñata for example) Good game or not. Dev won' t take the risks.

After 5 years GC had an attach rate of 9 and this had a even more hardcore audience.

Does the AR thing even matter in this forum though?

DS sells much more and has a much higher attach rate than PSP, yet people in this fourm still mock the thing.

Terrak

RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 09:03
Hold the Phone!!!

Can someone please explain to me how the Attach rate is worked out because things just don' t add up!!

Microsoft says its sold 24.3 million pieces of software sold over 11.6 million consoles at an attach rate of 6.3. Correct me if i' m wrong but isn' the attach rate the number of software sold PER console sold? If that is the case then the Correct Software to Console ratio ie attach rate would be 24.3 M (software) divided by 11.6 M (consoles) which equals 2.1 - Thats one third the number given by Microsoft. So what gives? How exactly is this attach rate number worked out.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 09:16
ya rly, wtf?
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 10:32

Microsoft says its sold 24.3 million pieces of software sold over 11.6 million consoles at an attach rate of 6.3. Correct me if i' m wrong but isn' the attach rate the number of software sold PER console sold? If that is the case then the Correct Software to Console ratio ie attach rate would be 24.3 M (software) divided by 11.6 M (consoles) which equals 2.1 - Thats one third the number given by Microsoft. So what gives? How exactly is this attach rate number worked out.

Maybe they count the game as being sold once more, every time the customer had to buy a new 360 when another one broke ;)
Nitro

RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 21, 2007 17:09

ORIGINAL: Terrak

Hold the Phone!!!

Can someone please explain to me how the Attach rate is worked out because things just don' t add up!!

24.3M in the US. It' s NPD data and it only covers the states.

EDIT: Do you understand why Wii' s attach rate won' t be as high as 360' s and PS3' s? And do you understand why it both does and doesn' t matter?
< Message edited by NITRO -- 21 Sep 07 9:11:40 >
Terrak

RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 22, 2007 10:50

ORIGINAL: Nitro

24.3M in the US. It' s NPD data and it only covers the states.

EDIT: Do you understand why Wii' s attach rate won' t be as high as 360' s and PS3' s? And do you understand why it both does and doesn' t matter?

Well that would explain it. Its funny though they talk about Worldwide sales for console sales, Worldwide sales for attach rate but only give US numbers for software sales (hence the confusion). WTF didn' t they give Worldwide SOFTWARE sales? I' m not questioning the 360s superior attach rate, i was merely questioning how that rate was determined, and with the data provided things didn' t add up.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 22, 2007 12:31
I think it' s might be mostly related to the fact that, in comparison to the US, it' s kinda hard to get decent numbers for Europe cause it' s all split up between many small countries.
Nitro

RE: Official 360 sales and stats... (MS probably still the market leader) - Sep 22, 2007 18:19

ORIGINAL: Evilkiller

I think it' s might be mostly related to the fact that, in comparison to the US, it' s kinda hard to get decent numbers for Europe cause it' s all split up between many small countries.

Yup, it' s super hard. NPD figures don' t include Wal-Mart or online sales either, so it can only really be used as a indicator.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message