Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere?
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 42
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 08, 2008 19:37
I' m curious...

I get the impression that there are people who use this forum that have never set foot outside of the country in which they were born in, ...maybe never outside of their hometown

I' m not asking where you' ve been. I don' t want a list of countries you' ve visited. I know there are some well traveled people here... i' m more curious about the people who haven' t seen much of the world in person... who are you and what' s your excuse?
Torr

• Total Posts : 554
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 08, 2008 20:38
That would be me for sure, I have only been out of the country once to go to Canada. I have gone a few places in the US but it is primarily a lack of funds on my part and that whole thing with me being a minor(so I have to rely on my parents), but I won' t be a minor in a month from next Wednesday.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 08, 2008 22:13
I suppose I would go under the never been out of country thing. I would love to travel but money, money, money.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 08, 2008 22:34
I' ve never been out of the US. The rest of the world can suck my dick... I kid, I kid. I would love to travel but as Silentbomber said, " money, money, money" . That and finding the time. Life is busy the way it is and finding time to actually go to another country and really enjoy it doesn' t fit into my schedule.

I' ve seen probably half of the states in the US though.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 00:19
Traveled a lot inside of Canada, but never outside. My excuse has been money, but I should actually have enough saved up by next year to take the family to Disneyland. Kids have been bugging me to go for a couple of years now, so I can' t wait to take them.

Nitro

RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 00:39
Wow, ...not even the people i expected! Now i' m really curious as to how many Kikizo posters have never left their home country...
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 00:56
Ive havent traveled a lot! i wish i could get around more. Denmark is so small its impossible not to leave it at some point, if you get lost on the way to the grocer you might end up in germany or sweden. In anycase, iv been to 6 countries or so.

My girlfriend is dead scared of flying to the point its nearly hysterical, if i cant get her to lighten up i dont know what ill do.

Im dead set on visiting 6 or the 7 continents before i die, i only get one chance to see the world.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 01:51
I never left Canada yet.

schedual
money
laziness
lack of motivation

Even when I have the money and time, I don' t have a good reason to travel. I hate traveling anyways, it' s like moving except you have come go back. I simply cant get enough time to make a trip that' s worth anything. One or even two weeks would do nothing for me. It would save me a lot of trouble to simply flush my money in the toilet.

If I visit another country it will be because I want to live there.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 02:25
I' ve been about the US and I looked across to Canada. Never left the country cause I' m a broke ass bastard.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 03:47
To those of you young enough to and can get the money together, travel and see other cultures, it helps you understand why there are certain things going on in the world.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 03:51
I' m a minor, so travel has been relatively limited on my part. I' ve been out of the states twice, both to Canada, and I live half an hour from the US Canadian border.

My excuse? I' ve got to go through Detroit to get to Windsor!

I' d love to visit Ireland, Russia, Japan, Georgia and Israel some time in my life, and there' s about a 50/50 chance I' ll be going to Germany later next year, with some brief time in France, Switzerland and Austria.

< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 8 Feb 08 19:51:50 >
Nitro

RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 04:33
Holy fuc.k!

I' m struggling to comprehend this.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 04:54
Struggling to comprehend what? We be po' folk!

Nitro, you said you had a job at some point with a travel agency, right? Where do you want to go that you haven' t already? Because you' ve definitely done your fair share of globetrotting.
Rampage99

RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 05:08
Nitro, you have to understand for most people in the US it' s a pretty long trip to leave the country based on where you live. It' s not like Europe where every few hours you can end up in a different country. I mean shit, when I drive from Florida to Minnesota to see the family it takes 28 hours straight through without sleeping.

You also have to look at the countries that are next to us. Canada is pretty much the same as Minnesota from what I' ve gathered, going up a couple extra hundred miles doesn' t change much other than getting a little colder. Then Mexico is to the south of us... and who the hell wants to go there? Water is pretty much all I drink so I won' t take my chances, lol.

Another thing is with the US we have so many different environments across our country. We' ve got tropics, grasslands, mountains, deserts, forests... you name it. Then you' ve also got so many different cultures spread across the country. Huge cities, small towns, numerous attractions in each state. There' s so much here most people that live in the country will only see a fraction of it much less go abroad to see more.

I' d personally love to to Egypt and see the pyramids and hope to one day... or go to Italy for the food alone. At the same time I still want to see the Grand Canyon here, check out Mount Rushmore, climb the Rockies, explore New York, and so many others. Time and money make all of this difficult.

Hell, the only reason I' m going to California for GDC this month is thanks to my current employer paying for it.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 05:49
I, too, am not very well traveled. I lived IN Detroit, so unlike Eddie I had no problem going through the tunnel to visit our neighbors to the south (yes, Windsor is SOUTH of Detroit! Go figure.)

Since I' ve been in California I' ve been to Mexico a couple of times.

My lack of travel was because we were poor. I mean POOR! My mom did what she could, though, and we used to go to the Cedar Point amusement park in Ohio every year. She also took us to Niagara Falls when we were little, and that was cool.

It' s ON now, though! I' m already planning some stuff, so I' ll be seeing some other countries soon.

Rampage, where are you gonna be in California?
Mass X

RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 06:01
I used to live in cali as a kid...never once been to disney land or world whatever it is thats there. But we drove by it plenty of times. Hey its better then nothing!
Nitro

RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 06:12

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Struggling to comprehend what? We be po' folk!

Nitro, you said you had a job at some point with a travel agency, right? Where do you want to go that you haven' t already? Because you' ve definitely done your fair share of globetrotting.

I worked in both France and Spain as a kayaking instructor for 18 months, for an activity holiday company called PGL.

I' ve been to 54 countries (not counting the UK which includes England, Wales and Scotland), half of which i' ve been to more than once and half of those more than 3 times. Before i go into where i want to go, i' ll just list where i' ve been so as to put everything into context.

I' ve been to:

Spain (lived/worked)
France (lived/worked)
Germany
Norway
Poland
Romania
Hungary
Finland
Belgium
Denmark
Czech Republic
Bulgaria
Austria
Switzerland
Malta
Italy
Cyprus
Portugal
Greece
Netherlands
Dominican Republic
Seychelles
Mauritius
Barbados
Jamaica
Maldives
Laos
Mexico
United States of America
Canada
Cuba
Australia
Russia
Serbia
Kuwait
Lebanon
Turkey
Israel
Egypt
The Bahamas
Bahrain
United Arab Emirates
Saudi Arabia
Morocco
Thailand
Japan
China
Pakistan
Bangladesh
India
Kenya
Ghana
Uganda
South Africa

Now, ...some of them weren' t visits to just that country... i' ve done multiple countries in some trips. I did Egypt and Saudi Arabia in the same trip, Uganda and Kenya in the same trip, Serbia - Romania and Hungary in the same trip etc...

But then if you look at somewhere like Spain... i' ve been to Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, Benidorm, Malaga, Ibiza, Majorca, Minorca etc...

Travel is a big thing for me, and i think it' s important to see and experience other cultures first-hand. I was privately educated until the age of 14 when i decided i wanted to move to a public highschool to be with some of my friends and throughtout my entire school life i don' t think i passed on a trip. Our schools, both private and public tend to go on annual school holidays. Most go to places like Prague (say for the kids studying history), and others go to Switzerland, Italy or Finland on skiing trips.

I have family in Israel and Spain, an ex-girlfriends who came from Kosovo and South Africa, friends who live in France, Italy, Spain, Bahrain, The United Arab Emirates, Bulgaria, Canada, Greece and several African countries. Friends who have come from other countries to live in the UK who i' ve traveled with when they' ve gone home for whatever. So never having been anywhere apart from where you were born is an alien concept for me.

I know a couple of you guys are minors... but i find it perplexing that your parents never took you on holiday as children. I know a lot of relatively poor people here but most of them have been abroad... usually to popular European tourist destinations like Spain, Greece, Portugal etc... I don' t think i know anybody who has never been out of the country

As for where i' d like to go, or rather where i plan to get to at some point, ...well:

Saint Lucia
Peru
Libya
Mali
South Korea
Guatemala
Fiji
Mongolia
Ecuador
Colombia
Chile
Belarus
Croatia
Brunei
Dominican Republic
Brazil
El Salvador
Cambodia
Argentina

...and most of all... Ukraine and the Congo.

This year i' m back in Greece, Israel and Canada so maybe next year i' ll scratch some of those off my list. I' m still young and although the next couple of years are going to be focused on getting into/settling into Canada... i should be able to fit stuff in.

And before anybody mentions money... when i was born my parents lived in a caravan. I kid you not. Granted that i' ve been more fortunate than most... but c' mon... you' ve never been to a single foreign country?
Mass X

RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 06:14

...and most of all... Ukraine

Ive dated a Ukrainian does that count?
Rampage99

RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 07:02

ORIGINAL: Mass X

...and most of all... Ukraine

Ive dated a Ukrainian does that count?

Only if you' ve climbed her peaks and explored the cave
Rampage99

RE: Nowhere? Somewhere? Everywhere? - Feb 09, 2008 07:10

ORIGINAL: Chee Saw

Rampage, where are you gonna be in California?

San Fran. My hotel is like a 5 minute walk from the convention center that is holding GDC.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 42

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message