Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Jul 30, 2008 13:13
According to the article sited from kotaku

Nintendo has just announced that it and 54 game software companiesare filing a lawsuit with the Tokyo District Court against companiesthat import "R4 Revolution for DS"-typedevices, using the Unfair Competition Prevention Law as the legalgrounding. Nintendo is asking for the cease of marketing, sales andimportation of these Chinese-made devices. The R4 allows easy softwarepiracy by fitting right into the DS's cartridge slot. Data is stored ona Micro SD and downloaded from websites via a flash drive, and the R4has a small slot that the Micro SD card goes into. In a statementreleased today, Nintendo announced that these R4 devices "allow illegaluploading from the internet", adding that "it is causing severe damageto our company and software makers, and this is something that wecannot possibly overlook." In conclusion, Nintendo adds that suchdevices hurts the growth of the entire game industry and steps must betaken regarding the legality of R4 carts. It's important to note thatthis legal injunction is for Japan only.Back in November 2007, Nintendo announced that it was "keeping a close eye on the products and studying them." Earlier this spring, Nintendo apparently pressured Akihabara retailers to stop carrying the popular R4 carts.
Hit the jump for a list of some of the companies who along with Nintendo have filed in this suit.
Arc System Works
SNK
Capcom
Koei
Jaleco
Square Enix
Sega
Taito
Takara Tomy
Tecmo
Hudson
Bandai Namco Games
The Pokémon Company
Yukes
Level Five

Check the link at the top to read more and see all the companies that are involved.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Jul 30, 2008 18:25
Were in the US, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but I mean really...

...how many people have rewritable proprietary cartridges who only use them for "homebrew" software?
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 01, 2008 22:55
Who would pirate anything on the DS? Besides Mario rehashes and Castlevania games, what is there?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 01, 2008 23:14
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
New Super Mario Brothers
WarioWare
Cooking Mama
Castlevania
Yoshi's Island
The World Ends With You
Elite Beat Agents
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Trauma Center
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

mastachefbkw

Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 02, 2008 19:37

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
WarioWare
Cooking Mama
The World Ends With You
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Trauma Center

I played Phantom Hourglass and it was okay, but could have been better. Didn't like WarioWare for Wii so I don't think I would like it any better on DS. Haven't heard of The World Ends With You. Haven't play Kirby. And Cooking Mama, Elite Beat Agents, and Trauma Center are irrelevant to me.
the_shadowwolf

Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 03, 2008 15:29
Most games are kids to teen on the DS, so most games would not appeal to everyone > 18
Phoenix Wright is a good game, especially if you want to be a lawyer and solve crimes. Final Fantasy Tacticts among the other FF games are still good on the DS. Even Wario Ware twisted.
mastachefbkw

Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 03, 2008 15:33

Most games are kids to teen on the DS, so most games would not appeal to everyone > 18
Phoenix Wright is a good game, especially if you want to be a lawyer and solve crimes.

And if you love to scream "objection" at your DS, and hope that the mic will actually pick it up.
the_shadowwolf

Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 03, 2008 15:48
Don't worry about that all the lawyers raise their voice in court so it would be good practice for the junior ones to start screaming their lungs out.
<message edited by the_shadowwolf on Aug 03, 2008 20:08>
mastachefbkw

Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 03, 2008 16:28
I love to see people playing that game in public. It just makes my day better.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 03, 2008 19:07
mastachefbkw

Who would pirate anything on the DS? Besides Mario rehashes and Castlevania games, what is there?

I'm looking at my stacks of DS titles thinking: "theres more than 10 titles i need to catch up with alone".... never mind the other 30 odd outta 77 i own which which range from AAA to good solid titles..

DS kicks ass..
mastachefbkw

Re:Nintendo joins 54 Companies to Battle DS Piracy in Japan - Aug 03, 2008 19:45
Virtua fighter 5

mastachefbkw

I'm looking at my stacks of DS titles thinking: "theres more than 10 titles i need to catch up with alone".... never mind the other 30 odd outta 77 i own which which range from AAA to good solid titles..

DS kicks ass..

Thats your problem, buddy.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread