Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Neotokyo (:Source)
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Neotokyo (:Source) - Jan 25, 2009 22:52
I've been following this Source mod for years since I first heard about it in 2005.  I briefly mentioned it in passing in the 'What song are you listening to' thread, since one of the most impressive things about the mod is the music that is being released within it by a guy called Ed Harrison.

Bits of artwork floating around during development by a guy called pushbak were also inspired, giving that isolated modern urban feel.  Think the dirty side of Mirror's Edge.  The concept of two warring factions within a dystopian city filled with the grit and graffiti which make the world feel tangible, isn't original but reminds you of great pieces of cinema and like Bladerunner and Ghost in the Shell.

The actual game is a full-sized mod for the Source engine (akin to Black Mesa: Source) and is a class-based multiplayer tactical shooter, much like Team Fortress.  It originally started its life as an Unreal Tournament 2k4 mod, which when HL2 and its Source engine came out kind of shat all over it!  So they jumped ship and joined the other team.

Anyway, they've finally released a snazzy trailer and loads of media prior to the imminent release, along with many of the songs that made me interested in the game initially.  So I really recommend checking them out.  The track called 'Out' (4th or 5th one in) is what really grabbed my attention all those years back.

http://www.neotokyohq.com/index.aspx

<message edited by choupolo on Jan 25, 2009 23:06>
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Neotokyo (:Source) - Jan 26, 2009 00:11
I like the jumpjet taxicabs with their shopping trolley wheels.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Neotokyo (:Source) - Jan 26, 2009 08:27
Yeah I remember checking that out when they were making it for UT2k4.  They could have built it a lot faster if they kept with the Unreal Engine then easily upgraded to the UE3.  The only real advantages switching to Source for them is less competition (there were a lot of similiar type mods in development for UT2k4 at that time) and more people play Source games now than UT.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Neotokyo (:Source) - Feb 01, 2009 16:18
Yeah, its kind of a dated project now, but its definitely a work of love which seems worth the wait.   And its a budget taxicab!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll