Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Marvel Universe Cancelled
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Marvel Universe Cancelled - Feb 12, 2008 15:26
So the guessing was correct!

Link

There' s a Q&A with Shane Kim on MTV Multiplayer Blog talking with the head of Microsoft Game Studios at the DICE summit. Along the way they ask Shane about rumors that Marvel Universe Online is canceled, and he confirms the superhero MMORPG that was being developed by Cryptic Studios is indeed dead, with the reason offered implying that Microsoft would only consider an MMOG successful if it equaled the staggering success of World of Warcraft:

I don’t think it’s necessarily a case of what went wrong. I don’t know that that’s the right way to put it. For us we look at our priorities and all of the things we have to do. It’s a tough space. It’s a very competitive space. And it’s a space that’s changing quite a bit. …When we first entered into the development and agreement of the development of ‘Marvel Universe Online,’ we thought we would create another subscription-based MMO. And if you really look at the data there’s basically one that’s successful and everything else wouldn’t meet our level or definition of commercial success. And then you have to look [and say]: ‘Can we change the business model for that? Is that really viable given how far we are in development? And so forth. Does Marvel want to do that?’ There’s a whole bunch of factors.

I think its quite silly that it has tio be as great as WoW. In any case i wouldnt have bought it in anycase.

The next time i consider an MMO its from Blizzard or the one Bioware is working on.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Marvel Universe Cancelled - Feb 12, 2008 20:22
Thats bullshit .. It was most likely over the budget and wasnt getting anywhere near completion , so they pulled the plug ..
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Marvel Universe Cancelled - Feb 13, 2008 04:56
I knew it was coming, but I' m still disappointed. I' m not allowed to play games on the wife' s laptop (whihc I doubt could run it anyway) so an Live based MMO set in Marvel was a good call for me - as I used to play the RPG/board game as a kid.

So come on who' s going to pick up the TMNT RPG? Best character creation system ever!!
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Marvel Universe Cancelled - Feb 13, 2008 20:39
Not really sad about this one. THere wasn' t much information to begin with so seeing this cancelled doesn' t even hurt half as much as seeing True Fantasy Live blahblah go.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll