Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 MGS4 Reviews Pour In
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 57
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 28, 2008 22:06

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

This apparently is the year of the perfect scores...

Yeah, I wrote something about that at another forum too. It seems as if reviewers will only need a scoring system from 9 to 10 soon ;) I think that too many games get high scores these days. It has gotten to the point where an 8 is almost considered to be a lesser game although it should be great one. And everything over 9 should be something extraordinary or inovative then.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 28, 2008 22:12
Perhaps practice makes perfect.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 28, 2008 22:18

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

This apparently is the year of the perfect scores...

If no game is perfect then why use 10 at all? Why not 1-9, using your logic? Clearly some games deserve a 10. MGS4 is one of those games.

That wasn' t implied as saying the game doesn' t deserve it. I have no problem with giving a game a perfect score. It just surprises me how frequently they are being handed out now.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 28, 2008 23:59
This just goes to show how outdated and useless percentile and digit based scores are.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 04:12

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Perhaps practice makes perfect.

Heh, yeah but I still think that they have been giving too many high scores for quite a while. Some get scores that revolutionary games in the past got. And while these new ones may excel at many things and are very good games they often aren' t as groundbreaking for example. It' s kind of weird then to see those games get better average scores than some of those classics.

But I don' t care that much about scores in the end though. I usually go after the general feel of reviews and watch some trailers and screenshots.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 10:20

If no game is perfect then why use 10 at all? Why not 1-9, using your logic? Clearly some games deserve a 10. MGS4 is one of those games.
Actually OXM uses a 1-11 scale.

11: Perfect

The unicorn. Will never happen. Never.
10: Classic

One of those rare and very best of games. Every Xbox gamer simply must buy it and play it, whether or not they’re a fan of the genre.
9.0 or 9.5: Awesome

Very impressive. One of the best games around. May have a few minor problems, but they’re small and very easily tolerated.

----Editors’ Choice is 9.0 & above----
8.0 or 8.5: Great

A great game and an A-list title, but either it either has niche appeal, suffers from minor technical or design issues, or has peripheral problems like a crummy interface.
7.0 or 7.5: Good

Has a lot of good things going for it, but there’s a big problem or two, something that limits its appeal or gets downright annoying. Could also be a game that aims low but hits surprisingly high.
6.0 or 6.5: Decent

An adequate game with something interesting to offer, but it has some truly significant issues. Otaku won’t mind much, but the rest of the world will.
5.0 or 5.5: Mediocre

Very unspecial and average in the worst sense of that word. You can’t pound it for being terrible, but it’s hard to find something to recommend it for.
4.0 or 4.5: Deficient

It has some very serious flaws and problems, but you can play it if you’re interested. It works and does what it sets out to do, but it probably never aimed that high in the first place.
3.0 or 3.5: Wounded

It has some crippling problems and is poorly conceived and designed. You can imagine someone wanting to try it, but not that many people, and they all should rent before they buy.
0.0 – 2.5: Broken

Just really bad. Lacks a single redeeming quality, and/or it’s busted to varying degrees in its design, quality, or basic functionality. No gamer of any stripe should bother.

That wasn' t implied as saying the game doesn' t deserve it. I have no problem with giving a game a perfect score. It just surprises me how frequently they are being handed out now.

I remember when OXM gave its first 10/10 to Fight Night Round 3. Now it seems like it doesn' t take much to earn a 10 from most sites. Unless I' ve missed something, the only games that OXM have rated at 10 are FNR3, Halo 3, Gears, COD4, Bioshock, and Mass Effect.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 10:48
Bioshock and Halo 3 are not 10s. Bioshock is a 7.5, halo 3 is a 6.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 11:00

Apart from audio issues, what didn' t you like about Bioshock?

Halo... no... can' t say much in it' s defense. Reviewers should wait a month before evaluating games with that much hype, and that' s all I' ve got to say on that matter.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 11:22

Apart from audio issues, what didn' t you like about Bioshock?

Halo... no... can' t say much in it' s defense. Reviewers should wait a month before evaluating games with that much hype, and that' s all I' ve got to say on that matter.

How about waiting 2 - 3 weeks? ..
Personally, I prefer finishing games 2 - 3 times before reviewing them.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 11:24

I don' t think any of those games(or any game as of right now/ever) deserve even close to a 10, but to say 7.5 and 6 is just insane. IMO, the closest game to a 10 on that list is Mass Effect.
Agent Ghost

RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 11:34
I didn' t have issues with the controls or anything but it gets boring. I love the atmosphere and it' s a technically great game, but they didn' t nail the fun factor at all.

-The story isn' t interesting enough during the game to get me hooked.

-The game is supposed to be open ended but in practice you' re still being led by the nose.

-They didn' t do a good job of combining RPG and FPS elements, you end up with both being watered down.

-No multiplayer, It could have been cool to have some new online game modes. For example they could have done something with the Big Daddys and Little Sisters. Imagine a game mode where you can be any character type in the game with the same abilities. Each with totally different goals. The littel sisters need to harvest atom, Bid Daddys need to protect the little ones, the other characters get points by killing anyone and a lot of points by collecting Atom. This would even work with teams bad guys vs. the humans. The Bad guys (Splicers) have inherent powers/abilities+weapons, while the humans have plasmids+weapons. They could have even made other modes like CTF with a bioshock twist...

They should have made an expansion with multiplayer.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 11:50

They should have made an expansion with multiplayer.

Unless they were incredibly careful about how they worked it, it would go the same way as F.E.A.R.' s online component. There were rumors about online play for Bioshock 2, but I personally have my fingers crossed for multiplayer cooperative, as opposed to a versus mode.
Agent Ghost

RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 12:02
It wouldn' t hurt to have both.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 15:46

Well, feast your eyes on Rosemary and Mei Ling!

It seems Rose is all depressed and such, probably have to do with the fact that her boyfriend is now a cyber, badass, who probably doesn' t screw her enough. And Mei Ling, well, she is gown up!
< Message edited by chimura -- 29 May 08 7:48:33 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 16:29
The custscene trailer thing released a while back for this game was super cheesy, like a crappy hollywood action movie that 12 year olds think is cool. Are all of the custscenes in the game like that? Do you guys actually like that crap?
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 29, 2008 20:38
Don' t be mad you still can' t afford a PS3, wipe those tears off your face and get a job.
< Message edited by emofag -- 29 May 08 12:40:30 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 30, 2008 00:54

The custscene trailer thing released a while back for this game was super cheesy, like a crappy hollywood action movie that 12 year olds think is cool. Are all of the custscenes in the game like that? Do you guys actually like that crap?

Yes.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 30, 2008 07:07
I look forward to watching 90 min cut scenes.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - May 30, 2008 10:25

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

Rubbish. Both are 9' s, although not 10' s. Halo more for online than the campaign (although Forge & theatre are very nice, the multiplayer campaign is tremendous fun). EDF2017 is a 7.5 for me, both of those games are wayyyy better than that.
< Message edited by iad umboros -- 30 May 08 2:30:49 >
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: MGS4 Reviews Pour In - Jun 01, 2008 00:04
Both Eurogamer and Edge gave it 8/10 o.o

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=143797
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 57

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages