Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Lots of EXTRA MONEY!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 21, 2006 10:04
Okay, here' s the deal. My rent where I stay (with 3 roomates) is $1800 a month. So, I' ve been going along for almost a year (it' ll be a year next month), paying my rent every month as I should.

All of a sudden, for two months (I believe April and May) my landlord didn' t cash my rent checks! He' s cashed June and July' s checks, and I talked to him at the end of last month, and he didn' t mention the fact that he didn' t get them, so what' s the deal? I now have $3600 sitting in a bank account that is... just sitting. The thing is that my lease is up after August, and they' re selling the house (he co-owns it with his parents), so what should I do?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 22, 2006 05:35
Well the smart thing to do would be to save it, for the future, or you coud treat yourself with whatever you want or wanted.

I suggest to save it, if your college, you will need it for the future. Its allways good to have money in your bank.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 22, 2006 05:56
Spend it dude. It' s your landlord' s fault he didn' t cash the cheques.

Or, you could save it. Either way, it' s your money and you don' t have to give it to the guy. Spend half of it and buy yourself or your girlfriend something nice (though don' t spend half on your girlfriend, that' d be INSANE!)...
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 22, 2006 06:50
Give me the money,that would only be the decent thing to do.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 22, 2006 09:20
Give it to the poor...

Bwahahahahahahhaahaha just kidding!!!
Whatever you do, DON' T waste it on someone else than yourself!
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 22 Jul 06 1:21:17 >
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 22, 2006 14:13
Can' t he just cash the cheques whenever he wants? Or did he let you have it? If you get to keep the extra I suggest buying bonds or putting it in your retirement fund. I had a friend who was hit by a drunk driver and paralysed when he was three years old and his parents sued. Part of the settlement was an initial 10 grand (approx.) with more later. His parents put that money in bonds and 15 years later that 10 000 is worth over 100 000. Last I heard he was planing on buying a porshe and getting it riged for paraplegics.

I' m expecting about $35 000 in inheritance from my grandparents when they go. You better bet your ass I' m putting every cent in a high interest account. I don' t understand the mentality of spending every dollar as you get it on none essentials.

If you do a little research, you might be shocked when you discover how much 3600 is worth in 10-20 years when you put it in the right place.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 23, 2006 02:33
Yeah dude, investing is the way to go. You don' t want to be forced into a crappy job at wal-mart when you' re 70 years old. You should be playing video games with your grandchildren.
Chee Saw

RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 23, 2006 08:50

ORIGINAL: Game Junkie

Can' t he just cash the cheques whenever he wants? Or did he let you have it?...

That' s what I' m sayin' . I' m thinking that I' ll just wait until after I move, and maybe even a couple of months after that.

As far as spending it, I' d take half, and put it toward my debt. The other half would be spent on something for me and my girl. I kinda need some new threads, and I' d probably buy her something nice (don' t know what, though).

Game Junkie, what the hell are you talking about investing for? LOL!
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 23, 2006 08:58
To each his own I guess...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 24, 2006 04:29

ORIGINAL: Chee Saw

ORIGINAL: Game Junkie

Can' t he just cash the cheques whenever he wants? Or did he let you have it?...

That' s what I' m sayin' . I' m thinking that I' ll just wait until after I move, and maybe even a couple of months after that.

But he' s casjed the last two right?! He wouldn' t wait and then cash them, especially when he' s cashed the most recent ones already.

You could always go to the bank and stop the cheques. You' d need your chequebook and the respective reference numbers. You wouldn' t even need to give a reason and it' d be stopped the same day as long as he hasn' t already been to the bank and presented it (which is highly unlikely). It' s his own fault for not cashing them straight away like normal and he can' t expect to just be able to cash them whenever he likes because that' s not fair on you in that you' d always HAVE to have enough money in the account.

If he' s cashed the more recent ones and failed to casj the other two previous ones then it' s his problem, even if he realises you could just claim ignorance and query why he hadn' t cashed them when you gave them to him but had cashed the more recent ones.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 24, 2006 11:18

To each his own I guess...

Nah, I agree. Definately put some away in bonds or something. Do keep a little for right now though, cause it' s always nice to treat yourself, especially when you have an extra 3000 or so lying around.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 26, 2006 23:52
seriously, take care mate - i was in this exact situation... except worse...

landlord stopped takeing money for 2 months, then took the following 2 months, then missed two, leaving me with 4 months worth of rent in the account.

I waited over a year with teh cash in my account having jt the same dilemma - was jsut about to spend it on a car, when *WHAM* landlord realised his mistake (he is the slimiest w****** you ever met who robs people blind so it' s ok!) he came chasing for all his money!

Take your time, and just wait the situation out.When HE has moved on then your safe and it is his mistake.

Now im trying to buy a hosue and Ill need to rent a room (s) out and I dont want to be like landlords I' ve had!!
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Jul 27, 2006 06:05
I' d say mutual funds personally, but yeah, good idea in any case.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Oct 23, 2006 07:30
So what did you end up doing with the money?
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Oct 23, 2006 17:34
You will owe the landlord this money. Saying he failed to cash the cheques should be able to buy you a payment plan if you have spent the money, however should the landlord take you to court over it you will be forced to pay.

If you want to keep schtum and see if he notices, then I' d recommend you hold on to the money just in case (although if you do invest any interest is yours!). You can be gauranteed he will notice at some point, and when he does you will need to cough up!

This is probably not the advice you are wanting to hear with the PS3 and Wii around the corner!!!

I' m sure if you really need the cash you can arrange to pay this to him over a longer period and explain you didn' t realise he hadn' t cashed the cheque. Just bear in mind that you have lived in the flat for this period so you owe him the money for it.
deetro

• Total Posts : 13
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Oct 24, 2006 04:58
Similar to above - Save it untill you know he can' t cash the cheques, it' s a year and then you can' t cash them I think. Also you' ll be earning interest so you' ll at least benefit a bit if he does cash them. I' m not sure on the law but maybe one he' s sold and the chequs ae invalid you' ll be ok to spend it.
< Message edited by deetro -- 23 Oct 06 20:59:52 >
Chee Saw

RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Oct 24, 2006 17:35
I ended up just paying off some debt. I figured if I use the money that way, and he comes to me later saying I owe him, I could just use the same credit cards (2 of them) to pay him back. In the meantime I' ll at least save on interest, and if he never mentions it then I' ve paid off my debt that much sooner!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Oct 25, 2006 04:26
Sounds like you did the smart thing.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Oct 25, 2006 06:08
Yeah, but think of all the great games you missed!!!

Sorry, just trying to make you feel uncomfortably responsible.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Lots of EXTRA MONEY! - Oct 25, 2006 08:03
Paying off debt is the retarded thing to do. If you don' t have debt then you are not a true American and obviously hate the USA. What you should have done is hire a couple of hookers and then sent me the rest. Actually you should have just sent me all of it. I am very disappointed in you.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 25 Oct 06 0:03:29 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread