Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 04:09
Great Review Kikizo / Alex .

Im 4 hours into it and have to say, the Best game ive this year. Nothing much else to say.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 04:41
I think the lack of story will keep it from being the top game of the year for me, but im definetly looking forward to it.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 11:16

I think the lack of story will keep it from being the top game of the year for me, but im definetly looking forward to it.
It' ll give me an excuse to plug my wii back up
Grant Delmore

• Total Posts : 76
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 11:25
Well my Wiis always in my entertainment unit so it never gets unpluged. And ive been playing prime 3 since it came out here last week. *Australia gets games slow*
But ima probably spend ages on galaxy.
On mario 64 id like finish it atleast every month for like 6 months, I had all four files all stars :D I wonder if galaxy will be this addicting.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 11:40
It is a great game, but the camera sometimes pisses me off, and I would rather play it with a real controller than the Wii setup. There is no reason for it to use the Wii controls other than to point at star bits to collect them (yawn) and you shake it to attack. Again, yawn. If this used a real controller and had a better camera, it' d be totally kick ass. But in reality it is only mostly kick ass.
mastachefbkw

RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 11:41
I have to unplug it because the slightest bit of light(the light that stays on when the console is off) disturbs me. I cant stand trying to watch a movie or something in the dark and being able to see that damn light.
mastachefbkw

RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 11:43

It is a great game, but the camera sometimes pisses me off, and I would rather play it with a real controller than the Wii setup. There is no reason for it to use the Wii controls other than to point at star bits to collect them (yawn) and you shake it to attack. Again, yawn. If this used a real controller and had a better camera, it' d be totally kick ass. But in reality it is only mostly kick ass.
Is the wiimote the only option?
Joe Redifer

RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 12:05
Yes. You use the nunchuck as well, but you can' t use the GC controller or anything cool like that.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 16 Nov 07 4:05:50 >
mastachefbkw

RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 12:24

Yes. You use the nunchuck as well, but you can' t use the GC controller or anything cool like that.
That sucks. Which do you prefer, with or without nunchuck?
Joe Redifer

RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 13:51
You have to use the nunchuck. The analog stick controls where Mario runs, one of the buttons on it makes you slam the ground with your poop-chute (I think pressing the jum button twice was enough to do that in Mario 64). The other button (the smaller one) attempts to recenter the camera, but the game rarely lets you.
Grant Delmore

RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 14:46
More games should jump on the multi controller band wagon, I mean look how much attention brawl is getting just for that feature.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 16:11
Most Wii games should support the classic controller, the dildo is mostly useless.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 16:16
Im finding it increasingly funny that the stick isnt really needed in the hardcore nintendo games
Joe Redifer

RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 16:31
Yeah, the waggling is definitely tacked on in this game. Even more tacked on is the super-lame two player mode. The second player controls his or her own onscreen cursor to collect star bits. When player two points his cursor at Mario and presses a button, Mario jumps! Yup, that' s about it.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 16 Nov 07 8:32:27 >
Grant Delmore

RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 17:34
Seriously who' s gonna play two player.. like no one o.o
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 16, 2007 22:33
Yeah the two player bit seems tacked on, but might be fun for casual players. Thank goodness its not necessary to play.

Good review - but you' d expected a Nintendo fan to be happy when a Wii game scores highly so no big surprises there.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 17, 2007 02:22
That second player option sounds like something for someone with a very young kid or little brother or sister, about 3-5 years old.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 17, 2007 19:13

That second player option sounds like something for someone with a very young kid or little brother or sister, about 3-5 years old.

ditto, and Does it well too.

*** Story, This is not a RPG and With gameplay and level design this good i click through any dialog the game throws at me anyway (i bet most other owners do too).

About 8 hours in and the levels and gameplay designs have just blown me away. All Creativity too.. (none of this copied from real-life shit, IE free-runing, photo copied buldings and face maps etc).. All hand drawn, beautifully modeled, animated and optimized . It' s concerning that this sort of creativeness outside a handful of Japanese Developers is Dying out.

Special mention has to go the the Camera (Joe' s gripe actually reminded me).. For a game that throws you round in all directions and pushes the players view to it' s limits, Nintendo still manages, (very nearly) to take away the camera problem which even plagues most Next-gen Games in all their basic structures.. Yes, it' s not 100% perfect (I had tiny gripes once or twice) but overall SMG leads the way as far as auto camera is concerned. It' s Unnoticeable 99% of the time.

The control setup / controls are Fantastic and you can tell this game was made around them (one thing Nintendo always stressed during every SMG showing). The Analog Nunchuck, Wiimote work effortlessly. Also Love the inclusion of the ' star' collecting and shooting, Which essentially is an option to increase the depth .. you don' t really need to use them but gives you the choice of aiming shooting and collecting at the same time as the usual platforming, this sort of multi-tasking is impossible to do on a classic controller and you can see why they ruled it out, Also some of the mini-games would control absolutely ass on a classic controller but work perfectly on the wiimote.

A thing i noticed is, the fact that the Nunchuck and Wiimote are separated makes it so easy to chill on the sofa with your hands laid out either side, playing the game casually, rather than having your two hands always infront of you in the same position.

Controls make alot of sense and are instantly intuitive, then again, every review states this anyway.

(With VF5) By far the best game ive played not this year but in a LONG time. Just perfection in every department. Can see myself playing through this again and again and Again.

Still have another 5 stars to find, then i' m going back through the Galaxies ive unlocked to obtain the other 60 stars

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 17 Nov 07 11:22:04 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 17, 2007 21:30
I' d laugh myself to death if they even tried to put in a decent story in a Mario plattformer.

BTW, looking at gamerankings.com the game is actually the highest rated game ever right now. Holy cow!
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 17 Nov 07 13:36:55 >
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: Kikizo Mario Galaxy Review - Nov 18, 2007 04:44
Garbage.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages