Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Dec 30, 2008 20:17
LINK

Forbes sure seems to think so.

Activision, now arguably the largest console game publisher in the industry, has now dropped it's price point on it's flagship titles, Call of Duty and Guitar hero to remain competitive in the market. So, here's my open question to you. Would you be more likely to buy a game, or would you be more inclined to buy more games if we reverted to the 49.99 USD MSRP on console video games?
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Dec 30, 2008 20:56
I look for deals on games all the time now. Anyway to save a bit of green works for me. 
Kelvinellenton

• Total Posts : 454
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Dec 30, 2008 22:15
It would be nice, if they were cheaper. But I don't think I would buy more. I buy the games I want, but I always find the cheapest price of course.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Dec 30, 2008 22:34
i rarely spend over 50  euro for a game nowadays.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Dec 30, 2008 23:36
If I really want it 60 isn't going to stop me, but 50 might make better impulse buys.

I think $60 is fair, nintendo puts out last gen garbage that doesn't cost 1/2 as much to make for $50, afterall.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Dec 31, 2008 12:20
Would definitely buy more games if we reverted to the old price point.  As soon as games jumped in price a few years ago - I've been inclined to think that buying new wasn't justified or worth it at £40-50 a pop, and have rented much more.

If I did get a game for that much, I'd try to sell it on as quickly as possible to try and reclaim 50-75% of the cost. 

Much less likely to think twice when games are £20-30, and may even buy twice as many games.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Jan 01, 2009 02:08
Its never really bothered me, considering I used to pay $70+  per N64 game. Last gen seemed more like a discount.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Jan 01, 2009 05:33
Yeah but there was like 1 good N64 gamer per year so that $70 never added up.  Having to buy atleast 10 360 games per year, saves $100 if they were $50, or 2 more games.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Jan 01, 2009 19:04
mastachefbkw

Its never really bothered me, considering I used to pay $70+  per N64 game. Last gen seemed more like a discount.

My ass. Try $75-80 on certain games. And dont forget that KB Toys bent me over for $70 on C&C Red Alert Retaliation for PS1 when I was about 10.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Jan 05, 2009 21:11
immortaldanmx

mastachefbkw

My ass. Try $75-80 on certain games. And dont forget that KB Toys bent me over for $70 on C&C Red Alert Retaliation for PS1 when I was about 10.

Neogeo?

I do try to get games cheap, but the big new releases I buy at full price (£40).  Games such as Mirrors Edge (which I bought last week) I grabbed as it was in a sale.  A lot of the big titles (Fable 2, Fallout 3) go down to half price quite rapidly if you keep an eye on different stores (Gamestation in particular).  I have a mate who manages a game shop so I tend to get great deals and free swaps with second hand stuff.
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Is the industry reverting to last-gen price points? - Jan 08, 2009 12:08
360 and PS3 games were £50 at launch but soon (well in PS3's case it was soon) dropped to £40. PS2 games retailed for £40 at one point but eventually dropped to £30.

What i have noticed recently is the PS3 Platinum range retailing for £15 whereas the PS2 Platinum range used to go for £20.

Prices in the UK will drop to £30 eventually but i think we're still 12 months away from that happening on a wide scale yet. Games depreciate in value a lot quicker these days though so you can usually find titles dropping in price just a few weeks after launch.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll