Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is...
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 59
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Jan 31, 2010 16:52
choupolo

The comments below the article serve as an important, quick way of getting heard or seeing what people have to say, and will attract new users.  But its not easy to keep track of what you've said this way.  You have to go into each article to follow up what you posted, the articles move or disappear as new articles appear.  Plus you may want to hide many of them to avoid bloating the article as Joe said.

The forums can archive these comments in one easy to browse section.  And will allow for it to be more apparent how much activity is going on on the site, rather than having all the comments being separate and hidden within the articles. And people can make other threads as they please to build on that.

For example, I've seen a number of new users commenting directly onto the articles recently who wouldn't have come into the forum to do the same.   The same posts/threads available to browse in the forum lists would then be easy to see and reply to - attracting the other people who wouldn't have otherwise made a new thread.

Growth is then exponential - or at least a little bit.

This sounds like Good Sense to me :) (and I'm not just saying that because you want more people like me around). The problem I guess is how one integrates ye olde forum code with the new hotness that is Wordpress.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Jan 31, 2010 19:33
And the answer, is there is no way to do that. Totally different languages, databasez etc. :)
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Jan 31, 2010 22:43
Have the writer of the article make a post in the forum, then put a link at the bottom of the article or next to the comments to the forum post.

Or post a comment on the article with a link to the forum page.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Jan 31, 2010 23:18
I think Adam was talking about Wordpress (which I am not familiar with).

But yeah, starting a new thread about a new article (with a URL pointing to said article) and then immediately updating the end of the article with the URL of the new thread would be pretty easy.  I don't know of any way to automate that.
Edwin

Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Feb 01, 2010 09:58
Joe Redifer

I think Adam was talking about Wordpress (which I am not familiar with).

But yeah, starting a new thread about a new article (with a URL pointing to said article) and then immediately updating the end of the article with the URL of the new thread would be pretty easy.  I don't know of any way to automate that.

That's what we did at the place I used to work for, and it was an almighty pain in the arse ;) but sure, let's run with it. Look out for a Dante's Inferno thread on Tuesday then...

Is there no way to run a "latest/most popular forum threads" module on the frontpage, Adam? Can't we just direct WP to pull the last set of links from the relevant folder or something?

/has no idea what he's talking about
Adam Doree

Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Feb 01, 2010 23:25
We can display current forum data over on WP, but we can't automate WP activity back into the forum. WP-native forum availability seems to be shit at present; we'd likely need to code our own solution.
Edwin

Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Feb 02, 2010 13:10
No such thing as simple answers, is there?

The Dante's Inferno review embargo has been pushed back, btw. It's tomorrow at 6pm.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Feb 14, 2010 18:56
penis
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Feb 16, 2010 20:50

I wouldn't say it was dead. It's more like a coma.
Edwin

Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Feb 16, 2010 21:35
Nitro

I wouldn't say it was dead. It's more like a coma.

Ever the optimist :p
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Feb 16, 2010 21:49
Persistent vegetative state or locked-in syndrome maybe. 

Good job on the new review threads btw, I'm guessing you're adding these manually - next step would be to find a way to automatically add all the comments already at the end of the articles to the forum threads (if at all possible).
<message edited by choupolo on Feb 17, 2010 19:08>
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Mar 10, 2010 17:17
I think the buzz of these forums will be reignited with the wave of next-gen consoles.

There's nothing to speculate on any more; current-gen is mundane in the sense that we
know what everything is capable of.

If all else fails, just call it NakedLadiesKikizotheirpantsoff.com

...and watch the hits roll in.

How does this forum work again?
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Apr 02, 2010 19:19
I agree with Tiz. These forums will be all ablaze once the next-gen console specs start getting leaked. Speculation on the games, and what these consoles are going to be capable of (who is going to be the pretty girl at the prom) and so forth.

I also think that the wow factor in the gaming industry needs to come back. We need to start having Sony, Nintendo, and MS along with the game developers keep secrets better. so that come E3 and TGS and the like there are actual real announcements that surprise and shock us all. Bring back the days of announcing a new console at E3 please.
Joe Redifer

Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Apr 03, 2010 01:54
Unfortunately the "next generation" appears to be the Playstation Move, Natal and whatever the hell Nintendo does.  Motion Plus?
Edwin

Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Apr 03, 2010 12:11
I like this approach. "It's the gaming industry's fault that nobody posts here." Damn right!
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Apr 03, 2010 16:18
Hey, we need something to really get excited about and obviously items like Move, Natal, and even 3D gaming aren't enough to get the people on this forum talking about it. Oh, and has anyone here even mentioned the iPad and it's games?

For myself I just can't get at all excited about the Move as whenever I see it all I can keep thinking is "this is a black Wiimote", and I can't get excited about Natal because we haven't seen any real games using it yet, all we have gotten with Natal is Professor Crackpot (Peter Molyneux) telling us that it will be  used for Fable 3. How about SHOW us something substantial.

I see a real lack of originality from a lot of devs right now with a few exceptions, and not many risks being taken. I understand the need to make money, and therefore I can understand devs wanting to copy the most popular gaming formula because they know it will sell. It's like having Steak and Potatoes everynight for supper. Wouldn't you like to have something different on your plate once in a while?
Adam Doree

Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Apr 03, 2010 19:14
LMAO @ "Professor Crackpot"
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Apr 06, 2010 14:47
Natal better deliver - everything else he's ever produced has been half-assed and incomplete.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Apr 14, 2010 02:58
Bring back free games, all I do lately is lurk Neogaf. 
Joe Redifer

Re:I think we can safely say this forum is dead. The question now is... - Apr 14, 2010 05:30
I do not understand why anyone attends NeoGaf.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 59

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message