Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How many times have you irreprarably borked your PC?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
How many times have you irreprarably borked your PC? - Apr 14, 2009 20:41
I'm on about number four.

I'm dual-booting XP and Hardy Heron. 4 partitions, 2 of which are windows. I just extended my C: partition, deleted my D: partition, and didn't spend a moment's time to consider what GRUB would think about that when it tried to find everything upon booting.

Now, this is the part that stumps me. Somehow, in the process of deleting /dev/hda2.... I've fucking destroyed GRUB. No warning, no nothing. I get an error 17 on boot, and updating my MBR has done absolutely shit-all.

I suppose the silver lining is that I "had" to go out and splurge on one of those little WD passports. Y'know. The sexy ones?

So folks. How many times have you borked your home PC?
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:How many times have you irreprarably borked your PC? - Apr 15, 2009 00:03
Just the once many years ago, messing with XPs registry trying to make it go faster.   Started coming up with increasingly frequent memory allocation errors, and eventually stopped booting altogether. Ended in an inevitable reformat and loss of all my work and games.  Learnt very quickly not to do that again!

Spent all of this weekend trying to get my parent's machine back up and running after one of my relatives tried to download a dodgy copy of Slumdog Millionaire on to it.  Quickly filled up with viruses and malware, which while trying to get rid of them, the machine wouldn't let me log on anymore.  Every time I tried it'd instantly log me off, even in safe mode.  Eventually gave up and reinstalled XP - but managed to create a dual boot of XP on the same partition to network a laptop and copy all the important files first.

On the plus side, I have never heard of any of the acronyms you've used above.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:How many times have you irreprarably borked your PC? - Apr 15, 2009 01:54
I've done that and used EasyBCD to fix it

I don't really remember fucking up a computer software-wise.  I have fucked up the hardware a few times, burned out a CPU & GPU from too much overclocking, shot a few motherboards, etc.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll