Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 17, 2008 05:13
The Legendary Map Pack accomplishes a number of feats, expanding not only typical matchmaking and custom gaming duties, but vastly expanding the possibilities for Forge and machinima purposes.

The Forge has proven to be immensely popular, with the most visible online community, Forge Hub, having pooled the combined efforts of thousands of amateur map, gametype and minigame designers. Of these thousands of efforts, I think it' s accurate to assert that among these there are a hundred or so free maps which are polished to a professional level, with surprisingly clever designs that are tested, revised and balanced based on the feedback of the community at large.

Most of these new map designs had been built within the map Foundry, thanks to its wide-open space. One of the major drawbacks to this, however, was the inability to design maps in which the players ran the risk of falling to their deaths from floating platforms and walkways. The new maps Avalanche and Blackout both provide ample plummeting opportunities, with a fairly generous allotment of Forgeable, playable area that takes place over vast chasms, off the edges of sheer cliffs and seemingly miles above beautifully rendered Arctic ice floes.

Avalanche, the largest of the new maps, is a reimagining of Sidewinder from Halo: CE. The familiar U-shaped valley is now supplemented with multiple mancannons as well as the first appearance of teleporters in a Halo 3 map. Primarily intended for vehiclular-oriented Big Team Battles, the only asymmetrical aspect to the map is the overall theme of Human vs. Covenant vehicles... although each base features a smattering of presumably commandeered vehicles from the enemy' s arsenal. If one team gains the upper hand with vehicles and long-range weapons, there are seven interior areas of varying sizes into which the other team can fall back and regroup, each connected via passageways, teleporters and specifically aimed mancannons.

Avalanche is a fantastic example of a fully-realized map for matchmaking which also offers tremendous opportunities for Forging. With the addition of custom-fitted doors to close off specific passageways of the Covenant structures, the Forging opportunities range from close-quarters battles to alternate open-area scenarios. In the center of the map is a cavern with two shelf-like platforms separated by an dimly-glowing icy blue chasm. The platforms are " connected" with facing mancannons. The chasm area is about ten levels tall, and it' s only a matter of time before multiple map variants are produced which take place entirely within this area... or off the edges of the two huge cliffs outside... or in completely custom-fabricated bases in the ice plains... and on and on. I believe it' s only a matter of days before we see the battle of Hoth recreated with Forged AT-ATs standing or crashed nearby, for use as cover or as hosts to close-quarter combat.

Blackout is closer to a direct remake, rather than a looser re-imagining, of Halo 2' s much-lauded Lockout. In matchmaking, it plays much the same as before, with established tactics carrying over well from last gen. However, there are some noticeable differences, with a few jumps no longer possible; and of course the addition of deployable grav lifts will add some new wrinkles to gameplay. Overall it' s a satisfying return to form for deathmatch and objective gametypes.

Blackout' s Forging potential is also quite intriguing. Here also there are custom-fitted doors to seal off areas and structures. Also present is a significant amount of accessible acreage around the perimeter of the predesigned structure -- as well as underneath it. With a generous budget of available sealed and open boxes, there will soon be literally hundreds of completely unique maps as well as variations of the existing design. One disappointment, though, is the inaccessibility of the rooftops of the structures, which are sealed off via a soft ceiling.

Ghost Town is this map pack' s only fully-original offering, and it' s clearly a nod to the aesthetic of Call of Duty 4. With a labyrinthine arrangement of streets, multi-level buildings, hallways, and even a couple of small networks of tunnels, it' s an incredibly diverse and suprisingly spacious asymmetrical map. The buildings are in crumbling disarray, apparently having been abandoned for at least a century, as they are intersected by several gigantic trees. The site is sun-baked with a golden late afternoon glow, but there are several extremely dark tunnel and basement areas. Transitioning from the dark to the light is very well-done, requiring a second for the player' s " eyes" to adjust.

Ghost Town' s Forging potential is somewhat more limited as far as being a canvas for completely original map designs -- it' s quite densely arranged. But customizing the existing design seems to have considerable potential, with numerous map-specific bridges and platforms available that match the established aesthetic perfectly.

Finally, there' s an additional feature set included with the Legendary Map Pack which will greatly expand both machinima and gameplay opportunities: multiple visual effects filters which can be placed like any other object. These range from preset increases and decreases in saturation, to various realtime effects of blurring and contrast adjustments. They can be used individually or in combination. Most intriguingly for the purposes of Forging is that, like any other object, they can be set so that they only appear after a certain amount of time, thus making it possible to, say, simulate nightfall.

For those who don' t play online much, it' s probably a bit of a stretch to pay $10 for three maps. For those who do, and who keep up with the Forging scene, this is much more than three maps... it' s potentially hundreds of high-quality maps, now with a vast array of aesthetic customizability.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 17, 2008 05:17
Another map pack? Then what the hell did I DL the other week for free?
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 17, 2008 05:28
I got the new map pack yesterday. Haven' t played it though because none of my friends bought the maps.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 17, 2008 05:50
Pshhh! Halo pwns this map pack. Period.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 17, 2008 05:53
Avalanche is awesome. Great remake of the second best halo 1 map. Its great for big team battles and is pretty balanced as far as weapons go. The only bad thing about it is the playlists for matchmaking. Every time I get it in matchmaking its dual slayer. Overall its a 9.5

Blackout is really good too. Its supposed to be the successor to lockout. I really like the design of it better than lockout. I like not having to see blue everywhere. The only bad thing is they took out the shortcuts above the doors and made the shortcut to the sniper easier to use. Overall its a 9.

Ghost town is okay. Its a small map and is pretty easy to get kills on. The only complaint I have is the energy drainer is insane on this level. If you get it, its like a free 2-4 kills. Overall 8.5

Its definitely worth getting just for a remake of Sidewinder and Lockout alone IMO.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 17, 2008 08:20
These maps look really sweet I might have to get them. I waited till the last ones were free because they didn' t really appeal to me.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 17, 2008 08:51

Another map pack? Then what the hell did I DL the other week for free?

That was the Heroic Map Pack, this one is the Legendary. Since Halo 2 they' ve been charging for the maps, then making them free right around the time the next one comes out, usually every 4-5 months or so.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 17, 2008 12:04

That was the Heroic Map Pack, this one is the Legendary. Since Halo 2 they' ve been charging for the maps, then making them free right around the time the next one comes out, usually every 4-5 months or so.

Damn!!!

I have been playing only COD4 for so long, I haven' t even been keeping track of Halo anymore.

COD4>Halo 3

LET THE WAR BEGIN!!
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack Impressions - Apr 18, 2008 02:25
I won' t be buying this because they seem to come free so soon. I felt ripped off wit hthe heroic pack, although Griffball is awesome :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll