Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HDTV?
Torr

• Total Posts : 554
HDTV? - Jun 26, 2007 14:54
Ok so I am quite poor at the moment, I' m getting a 360 and my TV in my room is dying so I' m not quite sure what kind of TV to buy. Please make sure to notice that I' m poor the TV I have in my room now was free and the sound is dying as well as it shuts off every few minutes for about half an hour. So overall I need a new TV the question is should I get a used SDTV and just live with that till I can afford an HDTV or should I try and find a used HDTV(I' ll take one if someone is getting rid of their' s). Now I' m not asking for handouts but if you have a good source you know of that sells cheap TVs(mind you I live in Michigan) or if you can think of some other solution any help would be wanted. And yes I know that HDTVs are way better but that' s not the kind of feedback I want.

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: HDTV? - Jun 26, 2007 15:39
You might want to consider using a monitor if you want a cheap HD solution. People just give away CRT monitors now days. All you would have to buy for your 360 is the VGA adapter then, which is about $50. Of course you' d probably be looking at a 17" screen, not too big. You also won' t be able to watch regular TV with it if you want to do that.

You maybe be able to find a used 32" or smaller LCD HDTV for a decent price.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: HDTV? - Jun 26, 2007 16:25
Look for an Olevia TV. Very nice quality for very little cash. My current 27 inch HD was about $450-550 When I first bought it so many years ago and my other 37inch I found for $650 on sale.

Actually to save you some time searching heres the site:
Olevia

The 27 inch I have is still only $450 at Circuit City. Has to sets of just about every connection cept HDMI (newer models have HDMI and go up to 1080p) so it doubles nicely as a PC. With the PIP and everything its a pretty nice deal. Tho if you are really really broke then yeah hunt down a decent computer moniter and get the VGA adapter or the recently released Pelican fan that doubles as a multi-source adapter.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: HDTV? - Jun 26, 2007 17:14
Get Eddie to sort you out with a decent 19" wide-screen TFT monitor.

For less than the price of a really cheap HDTV you could get a fantastic monitor.

Torr

RE: HDTV? - Jun 26, 2007 23:34
I have been looking at monitors and I have a friend that could get me one real cheap(same guy that supplies eddie) but the problem is that I need it to also double as a tv for my cable and also a 19" is what I have on both of my computers(and the next size up the 21" jumps up in price significantly)

My current 27 inch HD was about $450-550

The size is nice but the price is too high for me at the moment. My brother just graduated and had a huge party and got like $2000 but he is going to college and didn' t get great grades in schooland and screwed around and didn' t get any scholarships, and now to top it all off there is a chance he can' t get a student loan because he waited so long to apply, so he is planning on spending the money on college(he has like $5000 with the graduation money and money he had saved up from working as a dishwasher). Now I can' t bring myself to con him out of to much money because I think going to college is a good thing but I can maybe get him to buy a $300 HDTV as long as it was over like 24" and it doesn' t even have to be flatscreen.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: HDTV? - Jun 26, 2007 23:57
Erm, it does have to be flatscreen. On that kind of budget you have no other option and to be frank, any HDTV you buy for $300, no matter how small it is will suck ass.
Torr

RE: HDTV? - Jun 27, 2007 00:08
So I should just go with a SDTV and forget my pipe dream of having HD.

Oh well I' ll prolly pick one up from like a store that sells them used and just get one that is slightly bigger and newer than the one I currently have, thanks guys it was enlightening as well as very dissapointing it was kind of like if you try to kiss a chick you know you lean in and everything and then she sucker punches you in the jaw and you black out. Or whatever I wouldn' t really know I' ve never expeirenced it.

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: HDTV? - Jun 27, 2007 03:22
Well you could still get a really cheap regular TV and then use a computer monitor to play your 360 in HD.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: HDTV? - Jun 27, 2007 04:20

Get Eddie to sort you out with a decent 19" wide-screen TFT monitor.

For less than the price of a really cheap HDTV you could get a fantastic monitor.

Loco beat me to it.

Get the 80$ 22' s they' re selling over at TigerDirect. Then head out & pick up a dirt cheap SDTV, but make sure it' s pretty big. Shoot for a new 32 from Best-Buy or something like that.

It' ll only run you $100 or so, & you' ll be able to have an enormous TV for normal cable, (I don' t think you guys get any HD via Comcast do you?) and LAN events, & then you' ve got your own 22, which you know absolutely PWNS as a monitor. (The only disadvantage is that widescreen CRT doesn' t exist)
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: HDTV? - Jun 27, 2007 04:23
Oh yeah dude, I forgot to mention. I was up at the Circuit-City in Wasteland yesterday & found that 26" Gateway LCD. It' s got Component, VGA, HDMI and Composite so running your cable is going to be a non-issue. Did I mention it was like $650?
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: HDTV? - Jun 27, 2007 10:17
Like most people have mentioned, tigerdirect has pretty good prices, but you could also look at the Vizio tvs for a cheap HDTV. I think its an off brand of Samsung, and from what I hear, they' re pretty good quality for the low price.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: HDTV? - Jun 28, 2007 06:11
I wouldn' t advise buying LCDs from Tiger. Their shipping is really fast, and it' s fine if you' re shipping really durable stuff like PC housings & routers, but I hear they murder delicate things. ZipZoomFly is much better for that stuff.

Also to consider, the only difference between a nice HDTV and a nice HD monitor is price, and a tuner. There' s not much in the way of free HD programming around here yet so there' s no good reason to have a card. He' d be much better off with a monitor of the same quality. I' d be much cheaper for sure.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll