Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ex-Box man predicts death of consoles!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Ex-Box man predicts death of consoles! - Mar 28, 2008 20:36

Sandy Duncan, the former boss of Xbox Europe, has said he believes consoles will disappear very soon as everything gets " virtualised" .

Speaking to ThatVideoGameBlog Duncan said, " The industry is fundamentally driven by technology. I think dedicated games devices, i.e. consoles and handhelds, will die [out] in the next five to ten years."

Duncan was with Microsoft for 15 years before leaving to co-found YoYo Games. Having established the Xbox business in Europe he knows a few things about launching new hardware, and observed there are huge risks involved. He predicted that as companies attempt to reduce these, there will be " a definite ' convergence' of other devices such as set-top boxes" .

" There' s hardly any technology difference between some hard disc video recorders and an Xbox 360, for example," Duncan stated.

" In fact in five to ten years I don’t think you’ll have any box at all under your TV; most of this stuff will be " virtualised" as web services by your content provider."

Link

Ex-box man is full of crap. If i can stream games of the quality i expect from the internet in 5 years, you can put me up for a Ricki Martin Avatar!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Ex-Box man predicts death of consoles! - Mar 28, 2008 21:52
Gaming community at large predicts death of Ex-Box man.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Ex-Box man predicts death of consoles! - Mar 28, 2008 22:19
You dont need a console to run crappy games you can make using YoYo games Gamemaker so ofcourse he is going to say stuff like this .
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Ex-Box man predicts death of consoles! - Mar 29, 2008 04:29
So basically in the future everything is going to run off the internet? Video games, television, electricity, automobiles, stores, people? So if in the future the internet crashes we' re all fucked.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Ex-Box man predicts death of consoles! - Mar 29, 2008 05:08
Don' t you know, eventually we' re all going to upload ourselves onto the net and live there. Thats what Mr Shirow says anyway!
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Ex-Box man predicts death of consoles! - Mar 29, 2008 07:01

Don' t you know, eventually we' re all going to upload ourselves onto the net and live there. Thats what Mr Shirow says anyway!
That sounds nice.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message