Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 05:19
Due to Konami' s limitations imposed on their reviews.

To recap: Konami are imposing restrictions on what publications can and cannot talk about when reviewing Metal Gear Solid 4. No mention of 90-minute cutscenes please, and while you' re at it, no talky-talky about install sizes either, K? IGN are cool with that. EGM, refreshingly, are not. Due to " limitations Konami wanted to impose on our comments" , the editorial team decided to refrain from giving the game a score, and in lieu of a " review" posted a lengthy roundtable discussion about the game instead. It' s hardly a gloved fist on an Olympic dias, but it is nice seeing somebody do something about such an...unsavoury practice.

The information itself is far from confidential now, but I can respect them for upholding their journalistic freedom.
Kelvinellenton

• Total Posts : 454
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 05:26
Yeah I read that this morning... You' ve got to admire them for not wanting to review it when they have been one of the most hyped people about the game.

But the cutscenes are something many people will like and the install is something that can be survived... I' d make myself a sandwich and get a couple of soda' s while it was installing... Just like GTA IV.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 06:07
The install size wil make me have to reformat my ps3, so im not all to pleased. But ohwell
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 06:15

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

The install size wil make me have to reformat my ps3, so im not all to pleased. But ohwell

Question about PS3 installs. If you uninstall the game do you lose your saves for the game as well? Probably a dumb question, I' d just like to have a fairly good idea of how this is all going to work when I pick up th console and the game.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 06:40

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Question about PS3 installs. If you uninstall the game do you lose your saves for the game as well? Probably a dumb question, I' d just like to have a fairly good idea of how this is all going to work when I pick up th console and the game.

No, you keep your saves.

You can actually just transfer your saves (or whatever else) to a portable harddrive/SD-card/flash drive etc... they' re not very big.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 06:41
Excellent, thanks man.
Kelvinellenton

RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 14:53

Original: VX Chemical

Buy a new harddrive...
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 16:46

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Due to Konami' s limitations imposed on their reviews.

To recap: Konami are imposing restrictions on what publications can and cannot talk about when reviewing Metal Gear Solid 4. No mention of 90-minute cutscenes please, and while you' re at it, no talky-talky about install sizes either, K? IGN are cool with that. EGM, refreshingly, are not. Due to " limitations Konami wanted to impose on our comments" , the editorial team decided to refrain from giving the game a score, and in lieu of a " review" posted a lengthy roundtable discussion about the game instead. It' s hardly a gloved fist on an Olympic dias, but it is nice seeing somebody do something about such an...unsavoury practice.

The information itself is far from confidential now, but I can respect them for upholding their journalistic freedom.

That really is quite draconian. It' s like saying:

" Sure, you can review our game, as long as you don' t say anything bad about it."
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 17:03
Pointless on so many levels...
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 17:03

Buy a new harddrive...

i have a 250gb harddrive in it, i just have 10gb for PS3 and 240 for my linux installation.

It sucks that you cant divide it more evenly
Kelvinellenton

RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 17:50
Do you have Linux on your PS3?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 17:54
I generally don' t rate EGM or 1UP but i like it when this kind of stuff happens. Good on ' em.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 21:17
Now this is good. Gaming journalists for once not giving in to the demands and presure from the big guys which to many just do to keep their advertising and exclusive stories.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 03, 2008 23:58

i have a 250gb harddrive in it, i just have 10gb for PS3 and 240 for my linux installation.

It sucks that you cant divide it more evenly

Why would you give your dominant partition to Linux dude? I don' t see the point in having all that space for YDL, or Ubuntu, or whatever distro you' re using, especially with the PS3' s XMB multimedia features being present.
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: EGM Will Not Be Reviewing MGS4... - Jun 04, 2008 05:06
This game must be awesome when anti-sony-sites can' t find anything bad to say, and thus refuses to give it a review, in fear of having to concentrate more on PS3-titles. j/k ;)

Konami have given instructions about what they can talk about, and what they can' t talk about, wich includes the stuff they discuss in the roundhouse discussion. :-/
Most publishers do this, to avoid spoilers, it' s just this time suddenly EGM wants to take their high-horse, and claim journalistic integrity compared to every other game they have ever reviewed from most major publishers.

I think this is probably only a scheme for them to generate more hits to their review when it' s done, since they didn' t get selected as the first ones to be receive review-builds. I doubt you' ll see anything special in that particular review, compared to the rest of the ones on the net. :)

I do think this will hurt EGM/Konami relations, but as EGM-editor said, these things usually blow over.

As for the installs, we all know about it, so that' s not it. :-/
And Sony only allow maximum 5GB to be installed for each title, afaik. :-/
The 90-minute cutscene rumour are debunked, but we all know it is bound to be some long ones in it, you can even pause them if you wish. :-)
It' s MGS afterall.. :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message