Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 08, 2008 05:27
So says 3D Realms president Scott Miller in what he thought was an off-the-record comment to someone from the mainstream media.

Duke Nukem Forever coming in 2008 alongside XBLA title (UPDATED)

By Frank Caron | Published: February 06, 2008 - 04:27PM CT

This just in: Duke Nukem Forever may see release in 2008. No, really. This unprecedented news comes by way of a recent email exchange between developer 3D Realms and the Dallas Business Journal.

While 3D Realms' president Scott Miller notes that the company hasn' t " formally announced any platforms for DNF," it does " make the most sense" that the title would be hitting " the big three," referencing the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PCs. Miller does concede that the company " can' t make an official announcement" because it " may miss the mark by a month or two," but confidence is high in the project due to an " internal push."

Aside from the long-awaited release of the title 11 years in the making, 3D Realms also confirmed plans to bring Duke Nukem 3D to the Xbox Live Arcade with on-line multiplayer and co-op to boot. No date or priced has been confirmed yet.

It has been a long time coming, but there could very well be a day when the game that has been in development longer than the time it took to completely conceive, design, develop, and produce the atomic bomb will hit the streets. What a glorious era for gaming.

Ben' s Update: Well, the information may not be wrong, but it certainly wasn' t meant for public consumption. 3DRealms has just posted about this story on its official web site, and George Broussard sounds just a little angry about the story. " In what appears to be an unfortunate turn of events, there seems to have been some confusion between what was ' off the record' and what was not. I suppose we' re used to dealing with gaming press and not mainstream press. Lesson learned," he wrote.

The release date is still ' when it' s done' , and will be until the appropriate moment. Platforms have not been finalized or announced. You can rest assured that we are moving toward a goal and that the recently released teaser trailer is the start of that process and seeing more of the game, sooner than later.

" We apologize to gamers and web sites everywhere for this series of events. Sometimes, you can be too trusting of people and assume things that come back to bite you," he finishes.

Well, I' ll be buying 3D, especially with multiplayer & co-op in tact, but it' s going to take a lot of convincing before I even think about buying Forever... not after that abysmal trailer.[:' (]
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 08, 2008 15:45

Well, I' ll be buying 3D, especially with multiplayer & co-op in tact, but it' s going to take a lot of convincing before I even think about buying Forever... not after that abysmal trailer

How can a trailer that shows nothing be abysmal? it can be many things, but not abysmal.

Prey is a good game in my eyes, so 3d Realms can still make good games, and preys been in development just as long as Forever has. Unless Forever shows clear signs of being bad, its going to be bought by me
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 09, 2008 04:08

Unless Forever shows clear signs of being bad, its going to be bought by me

It runs on UE 2 point something, so we already know it cant compete with the current crop of shooters graphically. Thats 1 strike. Duke' s " toilet humour" really isnt all that funny by todays standards, thats 2 strikes. So unless theres some hidden Ace up Forever' s sleeve, then its pretty much doomed to Bargain bins when you consider 08 will see:

Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Killzone 2
Resistance 2
A possible announcement of a 4th Halo game(by Gearbox)
The Peter Jackson/Bungie project
Left 4 Dead
Project Origin
Fracture
Battlefield: Bad Company
Legendary: The Box
Far Cry 2(now in the hands of Ubi Montreal)
Borderlands
UTIII' s 360 release
As well as new CoD4 and Halo 3 maps

Duke Nukem doesnt stand a chance of standing out with (most likely) outdated gameplay and running on old tech.
Vx Chemical

RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 09, 2008 04:53

It runs on UE 2 point something, so we already know it cant compete with the current crop of shooters graphically. Thats 1 strike. Duke' s " toilet humour" really isnt all that funny by todays standards, thats 2 strikes. So unless theres some hidden Ace up Forever' s sleeve, then its pretty much doomed to Bargain bins when you consider 08 will see:

Unless you know someone at 3d Realms, we have no idea of what the games running on. It started on Quake 2 engine and its changed time and time again.

If anything its a strong hybrid of any given engine, highly modified. Prey proves they can make a good game, that gives them a better track record than Guirilla and Killzone.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 09, 2008 11:46
It will own face.
Also, Prey is awesome, it deserves way more sales and higher ratings.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 09, 2008 21:46
Admittedly, I' m not a FPS fan, but I can finish most games I buy.
I couldn' t finish Prey. I have a thing about believable settings, and the level designs in Prey are so obviously an excuse for a bunch of gravity puzzles that it' s completely unenjoyable.

I remember I walked into a room, looked around and figured out I' d have to flip gravity at least 4 times to get from point A to point B. That' s not fun, that' s retarded and tedious. I turned of my 360 and I haven' t played the game since.

It was a pretty game though, and it runs nice. I' ll give Duke a chance.
Vx Chemical

RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 09, 2008 22:38

believable settings

and you still play games?
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 09, 2008 23:28

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

believable settings

and you still play games?

You know what I mean.

For example, Psychonauts. Completely weird places to go, but that' s the premise of the game. It fits.

Now consider Prey. What intelligent species would design a ship that convoluted? It completely ruins the (I know you hate this word) immersion.

In a good game, it' s possible to suspend your disbelief and imagine that given these circumstances, this place and these events might actually occur.

In a bad game you' re constantly reminded you' re playing a game. A constant barrage of senseless puzzles without premise or purpose.

Another example, Portal was a really great stand alone game. Now, imagine if halfway through HL2 they forced you to go through a bunch of Portal-like levels. That would SUCK.

I should clarify that I' m only expressing my opinion on the single player. Maybe Prey' s level designs were nice in multiplayer, I dunno.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 09, 2008 23:38
Prey' s multiplayer wasn' t anything to write home about. That' s for sure.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 10, 2008 01:49

Unless you know someone at 3d Realms, we have no idea of what the games running on. It started on Quake 2 engine and its changed time and time again.

Too bad its been stated that it runs on a modified UE 2 engine. It was stated in an interview with IGN.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 10, 2008 02:50
The problem was you nubs were playing it on a console instead what it was made for, a PC.
Vx Chemical

RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 10, 2008 05:24

Too bad its been stated that it runs on a modified UE 2 engine. It was stated in an interview with IGN.

There is probably as much Unreal 2 in Forever as there is Quake 1 in Half-Life. And Quake 3 in Half-Life 2
Phoenix|Slash

• Total Posts : 134
RE: Duke 3D XBLA and Duke Forever in ' 08... - Feb 11, 2008 10:40

They' ve made so many adjustments, that if it is indeed still on the UE2 then there would be only fragments of the original engine left, im pretty sure the new engine is from the gound up though...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll