Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Do not make your pages dependent on images.
chris123

• Total Posts : 2
Do not make your pages dependent on images. - Apr 16, 2009 15:08
There are a few ways in which you can inadvertently make Flash Web Designers   web page dependent on images.

Some people like to create web pages that are so rich in pictures that even the navigation elements, like links, are represented by images. They probably think "a picture is worth a thousand words" or the like. It's possible for such sites to be a usability nightmare for blind people if you're not careful. They can also hurt the site's search engine performance, as I have written previously in "Why Is My Site Not Ranking in the Search Engines?".

Obviously, just having images that link to other pages on your site does not necessarily mean that your site is inaccessible, since separate images, each with descriptive ALT tags, linking out can still result in an accessible site. What I mean is when the navigation elements on your page require a person to be able to actually see the image, and move the mouse to click at specific spots in the image or object. An example of this is when a site uses an image map or a Flash object where clicking different parts of the image or Flash object will take the visitor to different parts of the website.

If your site does such things, try to replace your navigation system with one that either uses separate images (properly tagged) for each link, or one that uses text links. It's okay to use things like a CSS-driven menu button system, the way thesitewizard.com does, since, despite its graphical appearance, it is actually entirely text-driven. (It's just a visual trick done using CSS).
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Do not make your pages dependent on images. - Apr 16, 2009 16:17
How about you STFU?
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Do not make your pages dependent on images. - Apr 16, 2009 16:28
Fear not! For I shall use my secret special power of asking Adam to make the bad people's posts go away.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Do not make your pages dependent on images. - Apr 17, 2009 02:08
Narrator: And once again Edwin's gods ignored his plea...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll