Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Dmc4 Impressions [for realz]
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 43
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 04:07
Yeah, some things were kind of vague, but it was well carried for the most part. What caught me in DMC3 was basically Dante' s relationship with Vergil, which there wasn' t such a strong relationship here, not between Nero and Kyrie, or Nero and Dante either.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 05:19

Devil May Cry 4 > God of War II > Ninja Gaiden Sigma > Devil May Cry 3 > Ninja Gaiden Black > Otogi 2 > God of War > Otogi > Devil May Cry > Heavenly Sword

I wonder where Ninja Gaiden II will fit in...
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 06:27

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Devil May Cry 4 > God of War II > Ninja Gaiden Sigma > Devil May Cry 3 > Ninja Gaiden Black > Otogi 2 > God of War > Otogi > Devil May Cry > Heavenly Sword

I take it you like it, then?

What, specifically, makes you like it so much? I suppose this question is for everyone who is currently enjoying this game. Is it the graphics, the battle system, the characters, art direction, replayability, or what?

I suppose for Nitro, since he likes it so much, it' s probably a combination of all these things.

Does the game have any weak points (besides jungle shadows, that is)?
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 06:45

Does the 360 version have the same shadow flickering problem?
I haven' t noticed it so far, but I' ve only played for like an hour and a half. I' ll try to pay closer attention next time I play it. So far, I' m on level 5, I think its about 8.5
Chimura

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 06:48
I just enjoy Dante as a character mostly. He is just really fun. But the action is really what holds the game together. It is both, incredibly satisfying and just plain fun. The weakest point for me in the DMC series are backtracking and cameras. I don' t mind backtracking all that much, but it certainly is not what I prefer, specially when there is almost zero new areas. At least the pace is quick, since Dante has no puzzles to solve, only fighting.

And the cameras are just terrible. The camera control function is just not fast enough to keep with the action and is mostly unusable anyway, as the game will change your vantage points, no matter where you are.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 07:11

And the cameras are just terrible. The camera control function is just not fast enough to keep with the action and is mostly unusable anyway, as the game will change your vantage points, no matter where you are.
Yeah, so far thats the only complaint I have about the game.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 07:40
Dmc4 has the best gameplay of all the games mainly becuase of the devil bringer which adds a whole new depth to combos and Dantes switching of styles on the fly. Pandoras box is awesome too.

Got to desagree with some placement of those titles, Gow esp, both games are poor in combat in comparsion to titles like dmc and Ninja gaiden, they are in different leagues. If you are talking about the games overall maybe, but I was always disapointed with god of wars somewhat shallow combat system.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 10 Feb 08 23:43:05 >
Nitro

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 07:48

ORIGINAL: Chee Saw

ORIGINAL: Nitro

I take it you like it, then?

What, specifically, makes you like it so much? I suppose this question is for everyone who is currently enjoying this game. Is it the graphics, the battle system, the characters, art direction, replayability, or what?

I suppose for Nitro, since he likes it so much, it' s probably a combination of all these things.

Does the game have any weak points (besides jungle shadows, that is)?

There' s substantially less content compared to Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition in terms of weapons, costumes, level variety etc... but better art direction.

The graphics are good, not amazing in any particular area, but nicer than Heavenly Sword and Sigma so more than acceptable. The only graphical issue is the shadowing in Chapter 8 and it really does look unsightly. It' s a real shame that it wasn' t handled differently because the rest of the game is fine.

As Silent already noted, when you take over as Dante in Chapter 12 you have to backtrack the way you came with Nero which is slightly annoying but they play out differently, are filled with new types and more aggressive enemies, have different lighting and even weather effects so it' s not all bad.

I dunno... i just really like the art direction in God of war II and DMC4... maybe God of War II more so... but it isn' t a next-gen game so...

EDIT:

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

Got to desagree with some placement of those titles, Gow esp, both games are poor in combat in comparsion to titles like dmc and Ninja gaiden, they are in different leagues. If you are talking about the games overall maybe, but I was always disapointed with god of wars somewhat shallow combat system.

God of War and it' s sequel don' t have anywhere near as much depth, but God of War II especially has amazing art direction. They' re fun to play, even if they' re not difficult or complex... but they have better storylines and character development and they' re (well... God of War II at least) far more cinematic.
< Message edited by nitro -- 10 Feb 08 23:52:50 >
Silentbomber

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 08:03
True, I bought god of war 2 not so long ago.. got halfway through the game and stopped, I dunno if its me or what [and I loved god of war 1] just I got this feeling of boring old game mechanics that I have played 100 times before, get key, open door, fight some guy watch cutscene and reapet. I guess all games do it, but for gow2, it just annoyed me.

I would have stopped playing dmc a long time ago if it wasnt such fun with the deep fighting system.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 11 Feb 08 0:04:17 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 08:34
It seems to me that I played God of War just to get to the cinematics. I just loved the story.

The combat was pretty cool, though a bit repetitive. The addition of different weapons and magics spiced it up a little, though.

I hear you on part two though, Silent. I only made it about half way through as well. That' s not unusual for me, though.
Chimura

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 10:19
I didn' t like the first GoW, mainly cause gameplay is shallow. Though it is much more story driven than DMC as a whole series. I don' t even count NG, cause there is like no story there. Though NG is still my favorite of them all, now followed by DMC4. I like how it feels like a fighting game within the realm of an action adventure. Character wise, it goes to DMC, hand down. Dante, while he doesn' t go through the character development Kratos does (except maybe fro DMC3) he is just a cool, likeable character, I despised Kratos, I can understand why he is so angry, but I hate the guy.

Edit: My objective review follows. . Overall, I gave it a 9.

Pros
+ One of the best looking games available
+ New mechanics fit right in with an already compelling fighting system
+ Nero is a great new character, worthy of following Dante' s footsteps
+ And speaking of Dante, he is cooler than ever

Cons
- While the game is graphically impressive, the shadows don' t hold up as well
- The camera can put you in quite few binds
- Features some of the most annoying puzzles ever in the series

The Devil May Cry series started with a big bang when it was originally released on the PS2. After tripping with Devil May Cry 2, the series recovered quite some ground with Devil May Cry 3 and its Special Edition. Now, Devil May Cry 4 has arrived, and it offers and incredibly polished and balanced experience for newcomers and veteran hunters alike.

Devil May Cry 4 tells the story of Nero, a young and reckless knight for the Order of the Sword, a cult worshipping the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda. While not on the best terms with his fellow compatriots, he is none the less respected because of his prowess at exterminating demons, and his close relationship with both Credo, the captain of the order, and Kyrie, the captain' s younger sister, whose relation is a little deeper than just close friends. While attending a ceremony, several knights of the order, as well as their supreme leader are murdered by none other than Dante, the renowned devil hunter and son of the Dark Knight. Ordered to pursue and apprehend Dante, Nero soon stumbles upon a dark plot, where the lines are blurred, and friends will be found in the most unexpected places.

While most of the story is fairly well written and as over the top as any Devil May Cry title, some aspects of Devil May Cry 4 story might end up as a little vague. However, you' ll be entertained all throughout and will care for the events going on, thanks to its larger than life protagonists. Nero is a great new character, able to carry the burden of starring in a series known for its charismatic devil hunter Dante. He is a younger, angrier and more impetuous version of the cool, collected and wisecracking Dante. And even with a reduced role, Dante still manages to shine through and show the players what it means to be a legendary devil hunter. The supporting cast, both returning and new alike, work well with the leads.

Story aside, Devil May Cry has always been about fast and frenetic action. And Devil May Cry 4 doesn' t disappoint. This is by far, the fastest, edgier and polished battle engine ever featured in the series. Players, who were worried about Nero not living up to Dante' s skills, fear not, as Nero packs a mean punch. Nero, just like Dante, can dish out damage by combining sword attacks with gunplay. Nero has an equivalent for all of Dante' s sword attacks, as well as some unique ones to him. And while Nero' s Blue Rose, his trademark double-barreled revolver is not as fast as Dante' s guns, its still quite the powerhouse. Nero' s uniqueness comes however from his newly integrated Devil Bringer. This demonic arm allows Nero to perform a variety of cool looking throws, as well as bringing opponents to him, which helps when maintaining your stylish meter. The Devil Bringer also doubles up as a platform element, as Nero can use it to pull himself up to designated points, as well as bringing items to him. This new mechanic integrates itself quite well within the system, and is a blast to use.

It' s no secret that about halfway through the story, you' ll take control of Dante. And while there is no Devil Bringer equivalent for him, Dante is more powerful than ever before. Not only is Dante stronger and faster than Nero, he also has quite an array of moves and an arsenal of weapons his younger successor lacks. Dante fights utilizing his style system first introduced in Devil May Cry 3, and now he can switch them by quickly tapping on the D-pad button to which each style is assigned. This allows for some incredibly cool looking combinations of moves, which in turn offers a good amount of ways to tackle any particular situation. You can also switch Dante' s guns and devil arms while you play as well. Playing as both characters is fun and quite often intense. The only drawback to the combat sections is the camera, whose preset locations can sometimes blind you from your enemies, and you can' t always control the camera.

The objective in combat is to dispatch your foes in as stylish ways as possible. The more stylish you are, the more red orbs and proud souls, which are used for items and abilities respectively, you' ll earn. You want to keep and eye in the style meter and satisfy it as best as you can, for having multiple items and skills later on will save your life, specially since the enemies are pretty challenging for the most part.

When you are not fighting, you' ll have to explore some pretty big locales, raging from a castle to forests, to snowy plains and more. There is some platforming involved using Nero' s Devil Bringer, and while these are not very frequent, they can be a little frustrating due to the bad camera angles the game gives in some spots. There are also some puzzles to solve, and unfortunately, the puzzles in Devil May Cry 4 are quite possibly the most annoying ever seen in the series. Another slightly negative aspect that arises while playing through Dante' s portion is that he will mostly backtrack trough previously explored areas, offering little new areas. This is compensated in part by removing all puzzles and focusing on the fighting. While the exploration is certainly weaker than the combat, it certainly is not horrible or of-putting by any means.

Graphically, Devil May Cry 4 is a beautiful game. Be it the incredibly detailed and superbly choreographed cut-scenes, to the combat itself, the game is great looking, fluid and just a marvel to behold. The art design compliments its entire technical prowess as well. Characters, be it from humans to monsters, its excellent. The one flaw the game has is the shadow rendering, which looks very polygonal and is downright ugly in some levels. This is only a small discrepancy however and not something that will ruin the rest of the game. The best part is that the game consistently maintains the frame rate, no matter how hectic the action is.

Sound wise, the game hits it big as well, with great sound effects, fitting music and good voice acting for the most part. Nero is voiced very well, and Dante is as charismatic as ever. The battle music is the sore thumb in the sound department, not only being very bland in comparison to the rest, but also very repetitive.

Devil May Cry 4 is by far the most polished sequel in the Devil May Cry series, and one of the best games so far in this generation of consoles. Its combination of over the top action with style is as good as ever, and the inclusion of Nero forms a sturdy bridge for those new to the series, while effectively introducing them to the soul of Devil May Cry, Dante himself.
< Message edited by chimura -- 11 Feb 08 2:49:33 >
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 16:37

There is a secret stash of orbs down the stairs from the red orb crystal. My arm keeps flashing but i can' t find it >.<

It is in the bell tower downstairs (dont highlight if you want to find it yourself).
How do you get the blue orb fragment that is hidden behind the waterfall?

I' m glad i bought a DS3 too

I wasnt satisfied with mine until i got DMC and Burnout.
Now Sony needs to force all game developers to make vibration updates to their games!

i' ve only had problems with the shadows in Chapter 8

Those shadows were really bad. Although i forgot about them when i saw the boss which had really beautiful graphics. By the way, did anyone besides me want a sequel to Dino Crisis 2 when they got to that level?

I didnt like Sigma' s demo that much for various reasons. And i liked Heavenly Sword' s epic feeling as you play through the game.

The graphics are good, not amazing in any particular area, but nicer than Heavenly Sword and Sigma so more than acceptable.

Yeah they could have used higher resolution graphics to make it perfect. HS had some really low resolution graphics (like vegetation) which i hated but characters were good. NG' s graphics are good but i didnt like the last gen plastic characters art direction.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 18:04
I' m now playing with Dante done about 3/4 of his missions. Strangely enough i keep getting the same exact ratings att he enf of the levels Time - S. Style - A. Orbs - B. Every time with an overal of A.

I gotta say I much prefer Nero combat especially with the emphasis of staying in the air. Maybe I just suck with Dante but meh. He is very powerful and cool and all that but i mean I can' t avoid getting hit as much and battled seem to take much longer.

The back tracking in the game is a bit boring, wish they' d found a better way, but it' s not a major complaint. The camera is quite crap too.

Loving the game though, i' d give it an 8 or so out of 10.

Chimura i don' t think i' ve your psn on my list, you mind i take it? my is uumai. I like to get updates on everyone playing it,
Nitro

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 18:23
The trick to using Dante is his 4 different styles. If you' re stuggling to avoid getting hit then try switching to Trickster for those enemies.
uumai

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 11, 2008 19:39
I' ll give it a try... This is my favourite of the series, gotta say.

And thank god for DS3
< Message edited by uumai -- 11 Feb 08 11:40:07 >
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 12, 2008 01:19
I' m fucking broke at the moment! All this talk of how awesome DM4 is is not helping......
Chimura

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 12, 2008 03:07

Chimura i don' t think i' ve your psn on my list, you mind i take it? my is uumai. I like to get updates on everyone playing it,

I' ll add you as soon as a I fire it up today. I am now playing in Son of Sparda mode, which at first I thought you had to have a certain rank to pass the mission, since it says Stylish will keep you moving. Then I thought it was correct when I got a B and didn' t move up to the next level, but I think I must have accidentally gone to the mission menu and chosen the same mission, cause I just got another B, and passed just fine.

I realized I do have one D and a couple of C' s on my Devil Hunter and Human mode runs

As far as Dante, keep at it, once you master hims, he is just incredibly fun. Nero iust easier to use, probably cause they wanted beginner in the series. Dante requires more mastering and practice.
< Message edited by chimura -- 11 Feb 08 19:09:19 >
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 12, 2008 03:17

I' m ***ing broke at the moment! All this talk of how awesome DM4 is is not helping......

I feel you pain!!!!!

I wanted to at least pick up Turok, and Lost Oddyssey when it is released this week for the 360. I am saving DMC4 as my first game purchase for the PS3, but with Nitro raving about how good Burnout Paradise is I might just have to pick this one up on the PS3 as well. By the way, does the PS3 come with HDMI cables? If not, does it include at least component?
Silentbomber

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 12, 2008 03:34

does the PS3 come with HDMI cables? If not, does it include at least component?

Nope
uumai

RE: Dmc4 Impressions [for realz] - Feb 12, 2008 04:10
Well I finished Devil Hunter Mode all but 1 is b or above. The 1 offending one is a C, but i do have a few S ranks. Dante is not so bad now, but i love the focus on arial combat with nero. Dante though has some super cool moves, haven' t yet got all abilities, but not too far from it... suck as i want more of the achievements.

Game is kick ass though. Gonna complete it on easy next, just to rape the game before i turn to son of sparda and get raped myself - though DHM wasn' t that difficult, just a few of the boss battles.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 43

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message