Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 CryENGINE 2 Running On PS3/X360
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
CryENGINE 2 Running On PS3/X360 - Jan 29, 2008 23:55
...to be shown at GDC...

First publicly shown at last year' s conference, and recently released as the technology underlying their critically acclaimed PC game, Crysis, this year' s engine will be shown for the first time running on multiple hardware platforms such as the PS3 and Xbox 360, to a select audience. In addition, there will be a public demonstration showing how well the fully optimized engine can perform on a budget PC which can be put together for around 600 dollars complete, including keyboard and mouse. Visitors will be able to see for themselves the extremely high quality that can be achieved on relatively inexpensive consumer hardware today using the CryENGINE 2.

LINK

Select audience? What does that mean eh?
killemoff

• Total Posts : 173
RE: CryENGINE 2 Running On PS3/X360 - Jan 30, 2008 01:32
Probably means all the ass-kissers, err, specialized press that they so love.

But that' s just my opinion.

And i do remember it being said that, X360 and PS3 couldn' t run the Cryengine 2... my how time (and greed) make wonders.
< Message edited by killemoff -- 29 Jan 08 17:33:27 >
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: CryENGINE 2 Running On PS3/X360 - Jan 30, 2008 02:00

my how time (and greed) make wonders.

That, and selling only about 20K copies of Crysis at launch couldnt help.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: CryENGINE 2 Running On PS3/X360 - Jan 30, 2008 03:31

That, and selling only about 20K copies of Crysis at launch couldnt help.

QFT.

With the popularity of console gaming now, along with the perceived large expense of a really good gaming rig, how could any dev ignore console gaming completely? I know that there are a few out there who do, and are profitable doing so but that is very rare to see now.

As was stated before, it was only a short time ago that the devs stated that the CryENGINE 2 could not run on any console. Now with lackluster sales, it looks as though we will see a port of CRYSIS or CRYSIS 2 over to the PS3 and 360.

The only question I have for you is, with the huge amount of FPS and TPS that are out or coming out, do you think CRYSIS has a place on the PS3 or the 360?
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: CryENGINE 2 Running On PS3/X360 - Jan 30, 2008 03:52
Well, it doesn' t have to be used for FPS and TPS. I' m sure it can be applied with interesting results to any genre, if there are any creative developers still in business.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: CryENGINE 2 Running On PS3/X360 - Jan 30, 2008 04:01

Well, it doesn' t have to be used for FPS and TPS. I' m sure it can be applied with interesting results to any genre, if there are any creative developers still in business.

Good point.

I am just going on the assumption that this means that there will be in fact a port of CRYSIS over to the PS3 and 360.

I know any dev can optimize an engine for use in any genre. Good example of this would be the Unreal Engine and games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. Both devs used this engine to make incredibly great looking games.

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens, and who happens to license the engine.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll