Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 51
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 10:53
yaayaaaaay!!
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 10:59
Are you serious? I just choked on a drink I was enjoying so it better be there dammit!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 12:09
I am too lazy to turn my Xbox 360 on. Can someone confirm this besides that little yellow annoying dude from Blue Dragon?
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 12:45
Joe Redifer

RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 13:19
Hmmmm... do I download the demo or the trailer? I can' t decide! While the demo will let me play the actual game, the trailer is so full of useful and highly valuable information! Oh wow. Trailers are so great! Fuck the demo. Trailers are where it' s at.

PS - Trailers are stupid.
Mass X

RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 16:40
Pretty lengthy download. I paused it for a bit while I played a game, but just started resuming. Ahg anticipation.

On a side note I got refunded 800 ms points for a R6 d/l that went free shortly after I bought it.
Mass X

RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 17:48
Whheeeee Im playing it now.

Adjusting brightness as directed and deciding between 2 difficulties:
Easy- You' re new to shooters
Medium- You' ve played other shooters
(eerie as fuck' n music)

1960 Mid-Atlantic...
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 18:08
And my 360 is like half of Sweden away from me! God damnit!
Mass X

RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 18:31
Wow...

there is just to much good to say about this. I' ll let Eddie write up the review cause I can' t do this game justice...
Joe Redifer

RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 18:32
I forgot to download! Honest. Oh well I' ll get it tomorrow (I hope I remember). Anyway Mass X, why did you pause the download the play a game? The Xbox360 is so amazingly powerful, it can play a game and download stuff at the same time. Isn' t that amazing? Oh my god! It sure is!!! Great, now I' m all sticky.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 13 Aug 07 10:33:47 >
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 18:35
Maybe he wanted to play something online?

I don' t have a problem playing a game and downloading stuff, it just seems the download gets slower.

On topic:
Whoo, will get this one tonight.
Mass X

RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 18:39
Yeah I play online at around the same time every night with a group of friends...I tried putting it off as late as I could but the d/l was just taking too long.

Im gonna give it another go to see if I can find a few more things to do. You get pushed forward quite often, but there are moments of peace when you can explore a bit.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 18:51
I' m stuck in work...

I' ll be downloading and then giving my impressions later on today. Now where' s our Eddie!?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 20:02
First of all the demo is pretty long.

And you get 3 weapons and 2 spells.

Electricty spell+fire spell.

Weapons?

Pistol
Machinegun
and a wrench.

one Thing I did relaise was that all enemies are alive and talking,having their own life.
And you can pick up bullet/health items and other stuff from their dead bodies or trashcans.

+ you can hack the computers and bots in the demo.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 21:40
Why God, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!

I brought my stupid Ps3 so my friends could test it, therefore left my 360 at home. Cruel world!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 13, 2007 23:23
Woah. Y' all really like my reviews eh?

Your Eddie stayed up ' till like 6 in the morning watching bad vampire movies & chatting. It' s like 10a.m. over here, so I got about 4 hours of sleep, but no work today, & a brand new demo. I think I' ll get over it!

It' ll be 2 or so hours before I can get something like a review hammered out. 1.35 gigs of goodness takes a while to download.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 14, 2007 03:43
Alrighty then... how bout them Bioshocks eh?

Graphics
The game is gorgeous. Absolutely no way around it. I only played for about half an hour, but I can safely say that this game tops any title on the market, including GRAW2, and Gears of War.

Now, before I get assailed by a horde of angry fans, I' ll give my reasoning behind this. While Gears of war was a very technically impressive game, I felt that it lacked real depth, real character, which this game serves up in heaps. Rapture feels like a living breathing environment, constantly changing as the demo progressed.

While Bioshock has some absolutely amazing graphics from a technical standpoint, that' s not what makes it amazing. It' s the seamless integration of hundreds of little details across the game that really makes it shine. Dust on the windows picks up light from the ever-flickering bulbs above. Sparks fly from broken electronics. Picket signs protesting the lockdown of Rapture litter the floor, and the archaic looking architecture of the desheveled Rapture itself is accentuated brilliantly by a sort of looming haze that covers the world. A lot of work was put into adding dozens of tiny details to the environment, and it really shows.

Oh yeah, did I mention? Zero framerate hitches the whole way through.

Sound
When I first heard about Bioshock, I expected the standard decent horror-game fare. An eerie soundtrack, a lot of gun noises, and the occasional horror-story monologue... I was wrong. 50' s music croons from the tinny speakers in the walls as your head deeper into Rapture. All of your weapons give a deafening report, making you very aware that every bullet counts (which is good, because extra ammo is pretty hard to come by).

The voice acting is absolutely fantastic. The insane inhabitants are suitably deranged, carrying on a warped and twisted version of their everyday lives. Spouses arguing, a woman singing to a money-wrench in a baby crib, and Little Sister (the girl from the trailers) singing lullabies to herself as she preys on her victims. Projector recordings of Mr. Ryan (the creator of Rapture) hark back to the days of 50' s educational videos, and old reel-to-reel recordings give you an idea of what the world was like before and during whatever it is that went wrong in Rapture.

The soundtrack itself is breathtaking in it' s scope, especially for a videogame. The brilliant orchestration really encompases the " trapped " feeling you encounter during the demo. It' d easily hold it' s weight against almost any game soundtrack in the last 5 years.

Yes boys, Harry Gregson Williams is going to have a hell of a time topping this one.

Controls
Won' t dwell long on this one, beyond the fact that they' re incredibly easy to pick up on. Unlike some games, changing between your powers & your conventional weapons is an incredibly simple task. They work great... ' nuff said.

Gameplay
The game' s primary element is first-person action, of course, and it succeds wonderfully. It' s a well balanced game, their difficulty settings are done really well. If you' re terrible at shooters, you set it to easy mode & you' ll still have a decent challenge. I played through on both, and I have to say, if the harder of the two is Medium difficulty, I' d love to see the mode they didn' t include in the demo.

Your first run in with an enemy pits an insane resident up against you and 5 pounds of crecent-wrench. All of the fighting itself is pretty gratifying, as they do carry around a plethora of random junk. Health & Eve (mana) boosters, cash and very small stashes of ammunition are plentiful in both difficutly settings. It never feels like getting rid of the enemies is a chore, as there' s always some incentive to do so (actually progressing through the game being one of them)

We only got a very small taste of the main " feature" they' ve been pushing in Bioshock. Using your environment against enemies. About half way through the demo, you run into 2 enemies in a large pool of water. They don' t notice you, and your Irish buddie on the other end of the radio instructs you to electrocute the water. They convulse satifyingly, and I (being the idiot that I am) followed right on into the water to finish them off with my wrench...

Bad idea. (Bzzzrrt!)

Final Impression?
A-freaking-plus. This game absolutely blew my socks off, no question about it.

I was apprehensive about OXM' s 10 out of 10 review earlier, but if I had one major complaint about the demo now that I' ve played it, is that it didn' t go on for a bit longer. The 20 or so minutes in game flies right by.

I' m heading out as we speak to put some more money down on my copy.

Hope the review helps those who haven' t had a chance to play it yet.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 13 Aug 07 19:45:05 >
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 14, 2007 04:02
Great review Eddie! I can' t wait to play it now!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 14, 2007 04:58
I loved it except for the spell attacks (they' re called something else, can' t remember what). While they do add to the fighting they didn' t feel like they belonged. Maybe I' ll get used to it once I play the full game... I hope so anyway.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Bioshock demo out on marketplace+trailer!!! - Aug 14, 2007 05:07
Sounds really great... I just don' t see a huge single-player adventure fitting into my schedule any time soon, though. All due respect to it, I know it would suck me in for more hours than I can spare.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 51

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message