Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 22, 2008 20:41

A glance at the unlockable arsenal in the newly released beta for EA DICE' s Battlefield: Bad Company (PS3, X360) reveals weapons will be up for purchase on the Xbox Live Marketplace, Game|Life reports.
The Unlocks section of the game' s menu system lists a variety of weapons, ten of which read " buy this weapon on Xbox Live Marketplace" when highlighted. The game also displays a model of the weapon which can be rotated and viewed at any angle, leading some to speculate that the weapons are already packed in the game data.

While many elements in the beta versions of many titles are often changed or scrapped prior to retail release, the inclusion of a microtransaction seems an unlikely candidate for overhaul as Bad Company nears its June release.

Another EA DICE online shooter, Battlefield Heroes (PC), was recently confirmed to include microtransactions to support its free-to-play pricing structure.

Shacknews has reached EA for comment, but the company has not responded as of this writing.

[image]http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-matic.x?/images/sshots/Screenshot/9462/9462_47e42c17a7664.jpg[/image]

Link

I think EA are changing but it doesnt seem like its for the better!
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 22, 2008 21:53
I can understand this in a free to play game like Heroes but not for a game i pay 60$ for .. If there are unlockable weapons similar to the ones we can purchase then i guess its fine , otherwise i dont see how the gameplay is going to be balanced .

I knew this would happen though . I had said so in a thread about battlefield heroes a while back so i am not too surprised .
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 22, 2008 22:44
yeah like 2pac said,if you have to unlock them,then its allright,but if not then fuck you EA.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 22, 2008 23:59
Are you f.ucking serious? EA is going to charge for weapons when like Quez said we are already paying $60 for the game? F.uck them!!!! I suddenly want no part in this game at all, which is sad since it looks like it will be a great game but I can' t justify to myself paying full price for the game and then spending more money on having to buy weapons for mulitplayer.

This is crooked, and wrong.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 00:01
My feelings, concisely put are thus:

Fu.ck. That.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 02:09
If you idiots didn' t buy crap EA games they wouldn' t be able to do this.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 04:59

If you idiots didn' t buy crap EA games they wouldn' t be able to do this.

Except that it has been pretty obvious over the last couple years that EA' s games aren' t selling as well as their competition (some sports games notwithstanding).

I hope you are joking with this comment, otherwise you are just being a complete ass.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 06:13
Uh... but they' re unlockable without paying...

You' re essentially paying to cheat. Nothing more. Not everybody wants to put 40-60 hours into a Tiger Woods game, so for 200 points (each) you can max out your player stats or unlock all courses etc.. same thing with Need For Speed Carbon.

Like 2pac said, ...if you could buy weapons that other people might not have then the online multiplayer would be seriously unbalanced.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 06:26

You' re essentially paying to cheat. Nothing more. Not everybody wants to put 40-60 hours into a Tiger Woods game, so for 200 points (each) you can max out your player stats or unlock all courses etc.. same thing with Need For Speed Carbon.

Like 2pac said, ...if you could buy weapons that other people might not have then the online multiplayer would be seriously unbalanced.

Ah, so they are essentially doing the same thing that they did with NFS - Pro Street where you could either unlock the supercars in game, or just buy them online.

So long as it doesn' t unbalance the game then it won' t be that much of a bother, but I still don' t like the idea. Imagine if in CoD4 you could use the Barret sniper right off the start if you payed $3. I just think it is stupid.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 06:41
Add-on weapon packs made after the game' s release would be fine to charge for, but these blatently should have been included in the initial package. Next they' ll be charging for tutorial videos...oh wait they did that already.

If the game kept track of newly released weapon packs in-game and updated an online armoury or something, then maybe charged a few pence for a newly added gun, this could be cool. They could make money and not seem like hoarding bastards.
Phoenix|Slash

• Total Posts : 134
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 07:45
Games where you have to pay for more powerful Armour/Weapons are Gay...THE END!

Its bad enough that X360 users must pay for access to Online play let alone spend more on gettin access to the full experience of add-on packs and " Exclusive" items etc.
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 07:54
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 09:17
Ah just spotted what Dagashi said. As long as the guns are available for free for those wanting to actually play the game its cool.

Paying for cheats is doubley crazy though.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Battlefield X360 Beta Reveals Pay-to-Play Weaponry - Mar 23, 2008 10:41
Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it so its ok with me, Sure I' ll never buy it [but thats more to do with dlc than anything]

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll