Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 35
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 11, 2008 06:51
They're splitting the game into three parts.  Terran, Zerg and Protoss campaign.  What fuckers eh?  As if 60$ for a piece of media isn't enough money they split the content into three.  If this fragments multiplayer content, someone at Activision will die a horrible death.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55267
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 11, 2008 07:30
That is sooo fucked up. If its 60$ each, i might consider not getting all of them, and then pirating the fuck out of the other 2. I dont like getting screwed over.

I wonder if Diablo will bet he same, one for each class. Blizzard should never have joined hands with the likes of activision.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 11, 2008 07:30
Activision is the "old" EA that everybody loved to hate  ..
Vx Chemical

Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 11, 2008 07:41
so they release with one campaign, and then we have to wait 1 year for each of the other campaigns, its bullshit.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 11, 2008 13:37
Urgh. Way to alienate your fanbase. I'd much rather they delay it a bit longer and release one complete game. I don't want it to turn into something like the HL2 trilogy where each small installment takes nearly 2 years to make due to delays and other bullshit.

Although, it doesn't matter too much for me. Dawn of War 2 is going to be godly, and from what I've seen, it far outshines the rather dated gameplay of SC2.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 16, 2008 20:07
As one poster on that site says:

By: bbmar23 x

wow.

Valve: 5 games = $50
Blizzard: 3 games = $150

That being said, I don't really mind the fact that they split up HL2.  I mean, if you think about it, if they didn't split up HL2 it would STILL be in development!  It was released in 2004, so that's at least an extra 5 years (depending on when ep.3 comes out) that you would've waited to play the game.  By then the tech would be outdated, and the world would've moved on.

UnluckyOne, what you said is contradictory.  You say you don't mind waiting a little longer for a game if it's complete, but then you complain about waiting two years between episodes.  It's all just development time.  HL2 is long as hell, and, though the story wasn't finished at the end, it did seem like a full game, so the value is there as far as I'm concerned.  The episodes are priced according to their length, so I would venture to say that I PREFER the way they did the game.  Not for everybody, I suppose, but I think it's cool.

As far as StarCraft 2 is concerned, I think everyone should wait and see before passing judgement.  I mean, if what they say is true, then the value is in each box (Link).  Then again they might just be full of shit.  The proof is in the pudding, as they say.  And nobody like shit flavored pudding.  NOBODY!

<message edited by Chee Saw on Oct 16, 2008 20:42>
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 16, 2008 20:14
*slowly pushing pudding cup away*
Agent Ghost

Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 16, 2008 20:33

Although, it doesn't matter too much for me. Dawn of War 2 is going to be godly, and from what I've seen, it far outshines the rather dated gameplay of SC2.

Loco just added you to his list of people he needs to cut.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 16, 2008 21:17

so they release with one campaign, and then we have to wait 1 year for each of the other campaigns, its bullshit.
So.....Halo 2?
UnluckyOne

Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 01:41

UnluckyOne, what you said is contradictory.  You say you don't mind waiting a little longer for a game if it's complete, but then you complain about waiting two years between episodes.  It's all just development time.  HL2 is long as hell, and, though the story wasn't finished at the end, it did seem like a full game, so the value is there as far as I'm concerned.  The episodes are priced according to their length, so I would venture to say that I PREFER the way they did the game.  Not for everybody, I suppose, but I think it's cool.

I didn't convey myself properly. I don't mind waiting an extra 6-12 months to have a full, complete experience that is respectful to the money I forked over. I do mind waiting 24+ months for 6 hours of gameplay (ala Valve) and a fragmented experience. If Valve had integrated all the epsiodes into one game - taking another 6 or so months, they would have been done long ago. The reason why they always take so damn long is because they always have to update the engine (so it looks acceptable) and shove a bunch of miscellaneous extra stuff in so it doesn't look like they've short-changed anyone.

Now, Blizzard is not Valve. They probably won't make the same mistakes. I have faith in Blizzard's ability to deliver something solid. But as with Valve, Blizzard are not the speediest developers in the world. They're both notorious for delays and long development cycles. Starcraft 2 was originally slated to arrive in October 2008. Each development cycle Blizzard's had is usually pushed back. By splitting it into three more development cycles, will this mean that the delays associated with each cycle will inevitably compound on each other? I can't say. I certainly hope not.

As for what I said about dated gameplay, I'm not saying SC2 is bad. It'll be a great game. Blizzard themselves have said that they're going with an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality to appease the large competitive fanbase of the first. I'll buy it and play it when it comes out. But compared to what's being offered by Relic, I doubt it'll hold my attention for too long. From what I've seen, it feels like I've played SC2 many times before.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 03:08
UnluckyOne

Starcraft 2 was originally slated to arrive in October 2008.

This pisses me off.  People complain about all the delays developers have when they haven't even stated a release date.  

UnluckyOne

Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 06:00
locopuyo

UnluckyOne

Starcraft 2 was originally slated to arrive in October 2008.

This pisses me off.  People complain about all the delays developers have when they haven't even stated a release date.

I remember Rob Pardo saying something about a Q4 2008 release. But perhaps it was just his speculation.
Vx Chemical

Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 06:37
Blizzard has never ever set a release date for a game and then not stuck to it. Which is why the release date is rarely known more than a month a head of time when its Blizzard.

In anycase, i just think the game will feel disjointed when you cant play the other factions.
Agent Ghost

Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 06:51
At least they're all present in the multiplayer.  I don't care anymore, I'll give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt and assume the quality will be worth the wait.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 14:55
glad i dont play this
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 15:50
Apparently WoW subscriptions are declining.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 17:21
immortaldanmx

Apparently WoW subscriptions are declining.

Good, maybe they'll start working on WoS, a MMORTS.

Vx Chemical

Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 17:49
WoW subscriptions will reach an alltime high on the 13th of November!
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 18:31
Vx Chemical

Its still hard to believe there are that many people with no taste and no life.
Vx Chemical

Re:Activision takes a dump on StarCraft 2. - Oct 17, 2008 21:16
immortaldanmx

Vx Chemical

Its still hard to believe there are that many people with no taste and no life.

I wouldnt put it like that. I play the game, moderately though. You can enjoy the game even with a life.

And taste, i guess thats what you prefer, i like the lore behind the universe, and playing WoW isnt much diferent from Diablo, or even Oblivion, except you can do it with your friends.

WoW is currently the best MMO in the market. If you dont like MMO then its not your thing.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 35

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message